Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Genesis Puzzle Games

I like much Sonic Spinball.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post
    I haven't played it in a while, but I remember disliking Columns III. It might have just been because I suck at it. It's definitely worth keeping solely because of the box art though.

Agreed. I had a lot of fun with that one on Game Gear. I guess we could always track down the Saturn version.
    The saturn game is fantastic. Totes worth bootlegging

I wish sega would bring back columns and make a new one

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Aleste's Avatar

Lemmings 2 Tribes with mouse support, cursor-lock feature, Furniss music, and 50 lemmings on screen (ten more than SNES) is a pretty amazing cartridge. I just wished they had included a cheat code easy-to-input password to unlock everything from the go...

Although the original Masaya Soukoban has twice the levels, I can't really resist the awesome sprite redesign / blue collar setting of Shove it!

About falling blocks, my vote goes to the basic Columns, some classic tunes and remarkable graphics in there.
    Last edited by Aleste; 10-24-2018 at 06:39 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert bertodecosta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post
    I haven't played it in a while, but I remember disliking Columns III. It might have just been because I suck at it. It's definitely worth keeping solely because of the box art though.
    May be because it became a VS mode game and the enemy's AIs are too hard on later levels.
    Columns Crown for GBA is a better VS mode game, balanced difficulty, and has better power ups / attacks.
    Played a lot back then since we had to play many times to get the real ending.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

It looks like it would play well in multiplayer, but I've never had a chance to play with anyone. It's neat that it has 5-player support.

That cover though...

I find it interesting that a multiplayer-focused columns exists, seeing that the nature of Columns' build structure is all predominantly vertical. Outside of 2-3 step combos, almost all chains above 3 steps feel luck based. Maybe It's just me, but I have the hardest time building large combos in Columns, outside stacked diagonal chains, and even then, that is all 3 steps deep at best.

It's certainly a game I'd like to play and learn more about. It's a pretty fun little franchise.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert molul's Avatar

To me, the vs mechanics in Columns 3 gives the game some extra fun. Pressing A to screw your opponent is cool, and you need to know the right moment to use it. I haven't reached the last levels, though. Maybe hacking would make this game perfect if the problem is difficulty in last levels.

I seem to run into the same issue with lots of older gsmrs, in that, I can't really assess the depth/high-level aspects of a lot of these games simply because I lack another player to bouce ideas off of, and play more serious matches with. I had this same issue with my deep dive into Eternal Champions.

I'm curious why the general consensus here is that 8 bit Columns is better than 16 bit?

Also, which grid puzzler do you think wins on Genny: Volfied or Zoom!?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleste View Post
    I'm curious why the general consensus here is that 8 bit Columns is better than 16 bit?

Also, which grid puzzler do you think wins on Genny: Volfied or Zoom!?
    I personally love the Genesis version of columns. It has a great soundtrack, and in my opinion, is pretty under appreciated as a puzzle game in general. As far as Volified vs Zoom!... C'mon boy... Zoom! is dope. In all seriousness, I've never played Volified, but it looks really cool. They are very different games though, Volified is more of a take on the "drawing out a piece of the map/level" sort of game, while Zoom! has the grid patterns, jumping, etc. They seem different enough to be separate puzzle games, and both, in my opinion are action puzzle games.

Edit:
    Holy Crap Volified is Ultimate Qix. I didn't realize that. Also, I don't own that game, so I'm gonna grab that. I can tell you, just by watching it, it's better than Zoom! hahah. Still... C'mon Boy!... That's one of my favorite Genesis game quotes. I'll take the sounds/music from Zoom! anyday, but Volified is a cool game.

I'm not sure, you know.
    I mean, Qix seems to have more interesting variations out there, like the Nintendo developed GB one. And the music on Genesis sounds atrocious.

Zoom on the other hand, has a more interesting backstory (see https://youtu.be/yJcMxNAUtC0). It's for all intents and purposes a sega exclusive (at the very least it's the definitive version), the music is much better, and you can han have fun with the debug mode: https://youtu.be/utun5_z4jGg

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Gaptoothedidiot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Also, Pac Attack was pretty damn fun.
    I bought Pac Panic (Attack) only a couple of weeks ago. I'd never played it before. I totally love it, if I'm looking a puzzler to play my hand goes straight for it. Holy shit is it hard though. Harder than a granite dirty look. I don't think that I'm piss at it either, it's properly difficult. Am I wrong? Maybe I am. I love a 'dropping things from the top of the screen' puzzler, Klax, Columns, Bean Machine they're all ace.

I've got Zoop sitting waiting for me to give it a proper go, I played it fro 10 minutes or so then put it on a shelf where it lives now giving Pac Panic the stinkeye. But if you're saying that it is really fun maybe I should give it a proper crack of the whip.

What do you folks think about Lemmings? One of the greatest puzzle games of all time in my skull, but I know a lot of people don't like it on consoles.

It is legitimately hard. The trick is to try to avoid placing the blocks in a way that can make Pac-Man stuck, easier said than done but eventually doable.

It's like the situation with SegaSonic Bros (which has a fanmade Mega Drive port by the way), it looks nearly impossible until you realize that the best way to approach it is to build side-to-side (squiggly) rows instead of circles (because the walls count as part of the circling boundaries). Do that and you clear the entire board below the row.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    It is legitimately hard. The trick is to try to avoid placing the blocks in a way that can make Pac-Man stuck, easier said than done but eventually doable.
    I identified the flaw in my gameplay almost immediately, something like my second or third try. Same thing everytime, it's the one ghost I messed up on. Then pandemonium erupts. I haven't got the knack of playing it under pressure yet and when I play it, oh my lord, do I put myslef under pressure. Level 26 is where it all goes wrong for me. Damn fine puzzler. I'm going to say something controversial here. I'd take Pac Panic over Tetris, it's much more challenging.

Sega Sonic Brothers? I've never heard of that before. I'll have to find a rom of that somewhere. While I'm talking about ROMS, have all the rom sites been stripped or am I just being unlucky with the ones I used to use?

Thread Information