Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in Rayman Origins?

Default Anyone interested in Rayman Origins?

I saw video of the E3 demo of this game not too long ago. I'm not a huge fan of recent attempts at 2D games, but the graphics in this one look great. It's nice to see the game returning to its 2D roots as well; I'm a big fan of the original.

Anyone else looking forward to this?

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I'm definitely interested.

What do you mean by "recent attempts at 2D games"? Like 2.5D? What about games like Muramasa: The Demon Blade, A Boy and His Blob and Odin Sphere? Those games rock!

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    I'm definitely interested.

What do you mean by "recent attempts at 2D games"? Like 2.5D? What about games like Muramasa: The Demon Blade, A Boy and His Blob and Odin Sphere? Those games rock!
    I don't have a Wii, so can't comment on Muramasa or Blob. I don't have a way to play PS2 games either But yes, the 2.5D games just don't look right to me. Rayman has a nice look to it. It looks like a Saturn game on steroids.

I have to admit, I do like Little Big Planet's graphics, however, which I guess contradicts my desire for an older style look.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Well, that's exactly what those games I mentioned look like. I definitely dig honest 2D platforming goodness. There's more than that, though.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

My interested level is just above lukewarm. I enjoyed Ray Man 2, but the original game never grabbed me. Plus, I've learned to be disappointed in most things Ubisoft puts out.

I really want to be interested, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    My interested level is just above lukewarm. I enjoyed Ray Man 2, but the original game never grabbed me. Plus, I've learned to be disappointed in most things Ubisoft puts out.

I really want to be interested, though.
    Heh; well, I never plop down $60 for games these days so I'm afraid I'll have to wait until it drops to $20 or $30 It's one of the few games on the horizon that has piqued my curiosity however.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    Well, that's exactly what those games I mentioned look like. I definitely dig honest 2D platforming goodness. There's more than that, though.
    I appreciate the effort by developers to make 2D games, but something about the 2.5D usually unsettles me. I won't let that stop me from playing a game that has great mechanics, though. I recently downloaded Hard Corps Uprising and am not sure if I like the visuals yet or not. I do like the game play.

Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    Heh; well, I never plop down $60 for games these days so I'm afraid I'll have to wait until it drops to $20 or $30 It's one of the few games on the horizon that has piqued my curiosity however.
    Well, it's a 3DS game (only, right?) so should be between $30 & $40. But I suspect that you won't have to wait for too long for the price to drop.

Well, it's a 3DS game (only, right?) so should be between $30 & $40. But I suspect that you won't have to wait for too long for the price to drop.
    Nope; it's a console game for PS3, Xbox and Wii. Looks outstanding. I don't believe they're even making a DS version of the game (which is rather surprising).

Not DS, 3DS. I thought that version was the only one, actually.

Not DS, 3DS. I thought that version was the only one, actually.
    They're both DS's to me I didn't see a version of this game on any DS platform (DS or 3DS) when I did a quick search, but apparently a 3DS version is coming next year. However, the console versions will be out next month. I'm planning on getting the PS3 version eventually...

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

Rayman Origins looks gorgeous. But I dunno, I have tried several times to get in to Rayman on Saturn, and every time I get frustrated really quickly and it soon goes back on the shelf. It's a tough game, if this one's a little easier I might be more interested.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

Quote Originally Posted by jerry coeurl View Post
    Rayman Origins looks gorgeous. But I dunno, I have tried several times to get in to Rayman on Saturn, and every time I get frustrated really quickly and it soon goes back on the shelf. It's a tough game, if this one's a little easier I might be more interested.
    It's true, the first Rayman was brutally difficult. But you know how it is these days. The difficulty level of games is far lower than it used to be. People have come to expect generous amounts of checkpoints and health, etc. I would expect the difficulty level of this to be more reasonable.

That said, another reason I wouldn't pay $60 right off the bat is that, in spite of looking gorgeous, it's the gameplay that matters most. I need to see reviews of the game to see if the gameplay is there.

One of the things that does look cool about this from a gameplay perspective is that it is designed for co-op. It will be interesting to see how that game mechanic plays out. Good co-op platformers are few and far between,

Wildside Expert magicalsoundshower's Avatar

Rayman may have looked nice for the time but to be honest, I hated everything else about it. If this really plays like it then I know I won't be touching Origins with a ten foot pole.

Master of Shinobi

Rayman is the most bland platformer hero since Pitfall Harry.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    It's true, the first Rayman was brutally difficult. But you know how it is these days. The difficulty level of games is far lower than it used to be. People have come to expect generous amounts of checkpoints and health, etc. I would expect the difficulty level of this to be more reasonable.
    No, Rayman 1 really was insanely difficult. Aside from the lack of health and so many ways to take damage, there were a LOT of near impossible jumps in the game, partly due to Rayman's horrible inability to jump or move very fast. The game is comparable to if Bonk (slow moving, hard to control) was put in Super Mario World (faster moving, lots of obstacles and many tricky jumps); they just don't mix, and Rayman (PS1, Sat, Jag) feels exactly the same as that hypothetical scenario. I sold my copy on Saturn to Cheaterdragon1 and I don't regret doing that one bit. It looked nice, but geez was it hard... Now I've probably cursed Cheater...

Thread Information