Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting Back into the Sega Master System

Captain Bit Master of Shinobi 16-bit's Avatar

I managed to find a boxed one a while back on Craigslist, it only came with Hangon/Safari Hunt. I've got about 18 games for it and it's a good system, it's just that I'm having a hard time finding games for it where I live. I'd love to pick up Fantasy Zone 1 and 2, right along with Wonderboy 3.

Out of the 18 games I have so far, my favorites are Shinobi, and Cloud Master.

Hero of Algol

Cloud Master is a good game! Love its unique style.

I would stay away from Alex Kidd and the lost stars shocking game. What do people on here think of the SMS sonic games?
    Xbox live gamertag: Markss720

Raging in the Streets

I think they are pretty good personally.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Don't forget the SMS ninja gaiden, very different from the NES ones but better than them in some ways (difficulty for one). Definitely my favorite Ninja Gaiden.
    At first I didn't like it much, thinking it was a weak imitation of the NES trilogy. It grew on me, though. I still prefer the level design, cinemas, and bosses of the NES Ninja Gaidens but the SMS game has plenty of charm of its own. It controls really smoothly and the wall jump's pretty cool. I wouldn't rank it as high as Kenseiden or Shinobi but it's one of the better action-platformers on the system.

The SMS Sonic games are quite good (aside from Sonic Blast). I used to like Chaos the most of the 8-bit Sonics but I have less tolerance for its slow down than before so I go back to the first one more.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 11-11-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The SMS is region-free, no worries there! But a couple of the imports can be expensive, depending.
    I see this hasn't been addressed yet in this thread.

The SMS is not exactly region free, as commonly believed.
    There are a number of later PAL releases which will not work on NTSC systems.
    There is the FM module compatibility to consider for your BGM (not a game breaker, but something to be aware of)
    Japanese 8-bit games include the SG-1000 and some "My Card" releases which will not display properly on a US Master System.

So in fact, the Master System has more compatibility issues than any other retro console, afaik.
    True, the bulk of the Master System library is region free, but don't think every Japanese or European game will work on a US console.

recent threads on the issue
    Last edited by Zz Badnusty; 11-11-2011 at 07:35 PM.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

My taste in games is a little odd compared to some here. Where I dislike stuff such as Alex Kidd, Cloud Master and Kenseiden, instead I enjoy playing Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap, Shanghai, Shinobi, Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Double Dragon. Right now in fact, I find the two best sounding SMS games are Shanghai and Wonder Boy 3.

Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar

I've been a very, very big SMS gamer since the system launched - it was my first video game console and my first sega system, and definitely had a big impact on me. I became a diehard sega fanboy in the SMS days, and I actually could recommend tons of titles that I rarely see mentioned in anyone else's top SMS lists.

Lord of the Sword, for example, is a game I played for years. It's got a lot of flaws - namely the lack of a save feature, and it's basically impossible to play without the map, but I loved the hell out of it as a kid.

Global Defense is another game I absolutely loved. SDI is it's world-wide name, I believe. I had all the SMS accessories as a kid - my dad was really big into the system too, so he'd buy the 3D glasses and the light phasers and whatnot. I got the trackball controller right around the time I got Global Defense and to this day I think that's the best way to play it.

Gangster Town is probably my favorite light gun game ever. It's a lot better than any light gun game I played on the NES years later, for sure. It almost feels like a sega-quality leathal enforcers at time. Way underlooked.

The system is home to a lot of pretty basic, yet very fun shmups. Bomber Raid, Astro Warrior, and Transbot fall into this category. I'd imagine they'd be a bit hard to really get into without the benefit of nostalgia, but I played them a lot growing up and I'll still boot them up from time to time. They're games of a different age of shmup.

R-Type is one of the very best games on the system, and a killer port of the arcade game. Sure, the PC Engine port blows it away, but that version was way more expensive, coming on 2 full-priced hu-cards. This is not a Strider Genesis->Strider NES comparison. R-type is a very competent port of the arcade classic (with added content, no less) that made me proud to own the system back in the day.

I saw someone bash Alex Kidd: The lost stars earlier, and I'll agree it's a super easy game. But I played the hell out of it as a kid, it was a good time waster. I actually enjoy it more than Miracle World, but it's arcade counter part is a much better game and probably more in line with what everyone wanted the game to be.

I prefer the SMS version of Choplifter to any other port or sequel. It has a feel that is very different from every other choplifter game I've played, and it's got a very arcade pick-up-and-play feel to it. Plus, figuring out all the little secrets, like making superman or jaws appear, was awesome as a kid.

The ports of Double Dragon and Rampage are extremely high quality and miles better than their NES counterparts IMO. Double Dragon retains the most important feature of the game - the 2-player option - and follows the arcade game's structure far more closely. Rampage has much better graphics and all 3 monsters appear, unlike the NES version.

I hate that the AVGN did like 3 episodes on ghostbusters because no everyone thinks it's a terrible game. It was actually one of my favorite games as a kid, and the SMS port is so much better than the broken NES port he was talking about. The game isn't nearly as confusing as he makes it out to be if you actually read the manual, and it's mechanics are much improved over the NES version.

I like the 8-bit Sega versions of Castle of Illusion and Jurassic Park much more than their 16-bit counterparts. In truth, I played both of these games as game gear games, not SMS titles, but I've since picked them up on the SMS and they're exactly the same. Castle of Illusion has among the highest production values of any SMS game, and Jurassic Park feels like a more solid action title than the genesis version.

Pro Wrestling always holds a spot in my heart, and it's way better than the NES title that shares its name. It's a completely different game, with chibi wrestlers that looks and feels kinda like river city rampage. It's stiff and goofy, but I like it that way. Grabbing the chair and beating your opponent down outside the ring then jumping back in just as the counter finished to disqualify him was my favorite way to win. And I love how the announcer talks: VON! TWO! FEE!!

such a great system, I feel like it and the PC Engine Duo offer the most to anybody who only played the mainstream systems of their eras, yet want more of the same kind of titles. The SMS compliments the NES' library so well, and there is a lot of lost sega greatness on that little machine.
    A retarded Sonic.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

heart

Sega's games never were better than during the SMS era and the earlier days of the MD.

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World + Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
    Castle of Illusion + Land of Illusion + Legend of Illusion (all three are totally different to the MD equivalents)
    Lucky Dime Caper + Deep Duck Trouble
    Asterix + Asterix and the Secret Mission (totally different to what's available for MD, avoid: Asterix and the Great Rescue)
    Sonic 1 + Sonic 2 + Sonic Chaos (again: totally different to their MD counterparts)
    Golden Axe Warrior
    Golvellius: Valley of Doom
    Phantasy Star
    Psychic World
    Ninja Gaiden
    Psycho Fox
    Wonderboy in Monsterland + Dragon's Trap
    Power Strike + Power Strike II
    Fantasy Zone + Fantasy Zone II + Fantasy Zone: The Maze
    Vampire: Master of Darkness
    Bubble Bobble
    Solomon no Kagi
    Penguin Land
    Teddy Boy Blues
    S.D.I. (Global Defense)
    Bomber Raid
    Scramble Spirits
    Submarine Attack
    Double Target (Quartet)
    Zillion + Zillion II: Tri Formation
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

anyone on here got lord of the pork sword?
    Xbox live gamertag: Markss720

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheSonicRetard View Post
    The ports of Double Dragon and Rampage are extremely high quality and miles better than their NES counterparts IMO. Double Dragon retains the most important feature of the game - the 2-player option - and follows the arcade game's structure far more closely. Rampage has much better graphics and all 3 monsters appear, unlike the NES version.
    Agreed. I prefer the SMS port of Double Dragon by far. That's why I have it CIB.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I think Lord of the Sword is a nice game, it reminds me of elements of Zelda II, Metroid and Simon's Quest actually.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheSonicRetard View Post
    I had all the SMS accessories as a kid - my dad was really big into the system too, so he'd buy the 3D glasses and the light phasers and whatnot. I got the trackball controller right around the time I got Global Defense and to this day I think that's the best way to play it.

Guessing your dad's the guy in this commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jerry coeurl View Post

Guessing your dad's the guy in this commercial?
    I actually emailed my dad that commercial a few weeks ago and he got a big laugh out of it.
    A retarded Sonic.

Wildside Expert Majestic_Lizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio857 View Post
    Agreed. I prefer the SMS port of Double Dragon by far. That's why I have it CIB.
    I still have Double Dragon for the Master System. I remember that I purchased it from the "Ultimate Game Club" through EGM magazine and the UGC tried to keep my money and send me nothing. I had to write a letter to the editors of the magazine. Believe it or not, the letter was strong enough that someone threatened to pull their advertisements. When I finally received it the case looked like a dog had chewed it up, but the game worked so I was happy. I also had Rampage but another little kid in my neighborhood stole it.

They were both considerably better than the NES versions. However, I'd argue that the NES version of Double Dragon might have more replay value as a hybrid fighter/platformer.

Thread Information