Quantcast

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shmup Contests: Official Thread

Or DonPachi, DoDonPachi, Strikers 1945 (1 and 2), Raiden, Sky Shark, Viper Phase 1, Raiden Fighters (1-Jet), UN Squadron, 194X series, R-Type Leo, Last Resort, Blazing Star, Pulstar, Hyper Duel...

The list of MAME-able shmups is insane.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

Gekirindan
    1 credit, full defaults
    Playable on MAME, Saturn and PS2 (on Taito Legends 2 or Taito Memories - Vol. 2 Gekan)
    Choice valid until the next game is chosen.

This seems to be a nice game all around, here's hoping everyone will have fun!
    Last edited by Kollision; 12-16-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: redefining deadline

The Coop - 1,500,080 - All

Done:

Thumbs up

Why am I not surprised?

My best score so far:
    961,920 - stage 4

I'm sorry if Gekirindan was an unfortunate choice, but given the participation level we've seen so far I don't think any other would be any better.
    I will try to finish this game anyway.
    Last edited by Kollision; 12-16-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: I'm not bailing out

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    I'm sorry if Gekirindan was an unfortunate choice, but given the participation level we've seen so far I don't think any other would be any better.
    There's nothing wrong with the game. It's pretty straightforward, doesn't have a complicated scoring system to scare people off, and it's a good game. Guess people just aren't up for shmuping.

Done:

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Official Notice:

It appears it's time to consider extending the contest length. This should help widen the field for a few obvious reasons. I'm thinking 10 days. (14 still sounds like too much time to forget about the contest in). Any thoughts?

Also, let's encourage a check-in sometime before the contest's end for everybody. I admit I haven't done this myself regularly but in Darwin's case it's because I didn't think an early withdrawal notice very useful or cheery.

My Gekirindan score so far is level 5...nevermind the points, I can get further than that on 1C and may just complete it.

Next Game will be either Space Harrier or Afterburner (II?). Please pipe up if there's any reason not to choose one for multiplatform's sake (ie Saturn/32X/Genesis discrepancies).
    Last edited by StarMist; 12-16-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: level miscount

My score so far = 1,128,700 penultimate boss. This dude keeps killing me with slowdown, then I'm too weak for the last level. I'm going to burn a Saturn copy to see if it won't play better than on the PS2.

hmmm.....
    be careful, Mist
    the Saturn version wobbles vertically (you can't do anything about it), and is quite annoying with bullets coming even before their sources appear on screen.
    some sections have jerky scrolling

it's the version I'm playing btw

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

When you guys get around to Burning Force (if you ever do that is), I'll take part. That's perhaps the only shoot 'em up I'm good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    hmmm.....
    be careful, Mist
    the Saturn version wobbles vertically (you can't do anything about it), and is quite annoying with bullets coming even before their sources appear on screen.
    some sections have jerky scrolling

it's the version I'm playing btw
    It also has tate and 'routed' yoko (ie full screen hori with compensated controls)---though I can play somewhat w/o that controller compensation.
    I just burnt it and it came out poorly due to my disk's speed and the iso (not a bin...) And it's still better than the PS2 version. Fuck! Just when I'm trying to like the PS2 again. The PS2 sounds like MIDI compared to the Saturn game and it lost the story captions---not much there, just a bit more than Kingdom Grandprix has after race, and to the point rather than personal, but just something to notice rather than a serious complaint). And Gekirindan has a great soundtrack.
    The wobble looks like crap but is no harder to play with than the Taito Legends shitscreen.
    I died on the winged sub boss with the pink beam because the beam animation's different from the PS2 version's (which isn't the PS2's fault).

EDIT = @ The Jackal == Missed you, must have been a moderated post. Sure you don't want in on Space Harrier? They're pretty similar (and I'm putrid at both so don't worry about coming in last).
    Last edited by StarMist; 12-16-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Burning Force//The Jackal

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    When you guys get around to Burning Force (if you ever do that is), I'll take part. That's perhaps the only shoot 'em up I'm good at.
    well, I'm also very fond of Burning Force , but the idea is for everyone to enjoy the games regardless of previous experience with them
    if we keep waiting for the game where we excel to be selected we might as well wait forever

OK, I'll give Space Harrier a try. What version we playing -- arcade?

As far as I know, it's Gekirindan until at least January 1st... unless something's changed.

But yeah, arcade and Sega Saturn versions would be good (they're basically identical). The 32X version should be all right, too. Though it does run at half the fps of the other two, I believe the scoring is still the same in terms of enemy count, destructible objects on the ground, etc.

Done:

OK, that then. I've got Taito Legends 2, so I'll give it a try over the weekend.

Thread Information