Quantcast

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shmup Contests: Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    As far as I know, it's Gekirindan until at least January 1st... unless something's changed.
    Yes, it has changed.
    Gekirindan ends this weekend, on Sunday (18th).

Hurry up with the scores, those who want a slice of the podium.
    And prepare for the next game.

Cool. Next score...

The Coop - 1,568,360 - All

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

I'm going to have to stick with my earlier eleven hundred thousand score, just been playing too much of this game w/o save state practice. I don't want to see lvs 1 - 3 for a couple months. Stupid of me, I should've switched to Saturn earlier, the PS2 runs it at 150% speed--though it yields another bomb, which deficit on the Saturn threw me off. If somebody posts a particularly tonic score before the night's out (and I see it) I might have it in me for a last go but I squandered an enthusiastic session testing the advantages of the red sidearm--which are none. Despite the rest lv 3's music is better on the PS2. Plays much better on Hard but unfortunately I don't. Anyhow Gekirindan should serve as proof 10 days will be more than enough. The scoring is also highly static with an odd, irritating twist towards (?) # of hits to down an enemy, as Shario seems always to outscore the others by some 3% despite a seldom even shootdown rate.

Well, since it's at least Monday all over the world, I'm guessing this latest competition is over. And if that's the case, then I suppose it's time for me to choose the next game. My choice? One that damn well better get some of you playing since it's been mentioned several times...

Space Harrier

Default settings (Normal, 3 lives)
    No continuing
    Acceptable versions- Arcade (cabinet or MAME), Saturn, and 32X (which runs at 30fps, instead of 60 like the other two)
    Play time- Dec. 19th to Dec. 28th

Done:

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

I couldn't get far in that other game, so I didn't bother posting a score. This, though, I should fare better at.

Died in Nark (lv 17) with roughly 19,000,000. ...... Due to daydreaming what a wholly new Space Harrier on the DC might've been like.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Okay, I am in on Space Harrier. I will be playing on 32X so I can pick it up and play quickly. I suppose I might have to video the play throughs so I can prove the end result, I can just post a final screenshot afterward. Or I guess I could use the digital camera to take a shot of the screen. That is assuming that I can whip myself into enough of a frenzy to actually score well in this game today.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

32X version. Real Hardware was out since i needed the savestate practice (damn you Nark).
    Such a pretty game...I'm dreaming here as usual but ideally Panzer Dragoon would have eventually got an instalment with these pastels and soft shapes.

Last life 1CC. Geyan avg.

space_harrier_32x002-Copy.jpg
    Last edited by StarMist; 12-27-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: pic problems

I'll love to parttake. But I only have Snes, Genesis and PCE shooters. I have a complete romset, but....I say no no to bullet hell.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

Just get MAME32 (or MAME Plus!) and the arcade ROM. Easy as hell to set up and run, and the game runs quite well.

Done:

32X version

Died at Nark, possibly during the last wave of robots and crystals
    so clooooose

I really miss the autofire of the PS2 version by the way

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

You all kick my cheese to no end. I only topped 7 million in my first pass on the 32X version. Every time I tried after that my score went down. I am starting to think that I need to play this game exclusively on the CRT with zero interruption.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    Just get MAME32 (or MAME Plus!) and the arcade ROM. Easy as hell to set up and run, and the game runs quite well.
    The thing is...I don't like arcade shooters. Especially the bullet hell ones.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

Quote Originally Posted by Curryman123 View Post
    We haven't played anything close to a bullet hell yet. Nor am I itching for one, I suck at them. MAME is a convenient way of playing many Saturn and PS titles w/o actually owning them, along with better versions of games badly ported to consoles--or well ported long ago, such as 1942, which was beyond the NES's hardware means to fully recreate. Check out Flying Shark, that would be a cool one for us to play, though I do think a hori would be good for variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Curryman123 View Post
    I was talking about Space Harrier. However, it seems a bit odd that you don't like arcade shmups, yet you own ones for the Genesis, etc. Up until bullet curtain shmups became popular in the mid '90s, shmups on the 8-bit and 16-bit consoles played like the shmups in the arcades.

Anyway, I only got time in for one game before the deadline. Between banners and writing, my time got eaten up...

32X version

The Coop - 12,218,090 - Stage 11

Done:

Thread Information