Quantcast

Thread: FM-Possible, a Genesis/Megadrive inspired music project.

Wildside Expert Groovemaster303's Avatar

Default FM-Possible, a Genesis/Megadrive inspired music project.

After months of planning, and a massive effort, the wait is finally over. I am is proud to present FM-POSSIBLE, an epic 37 track masterpiece, crafted by Jredd, CosmoBuggi, and myself Groovemaster303. This recording was created using VGM Music Maker, and has a runtime of 1:33:27. These familiar sounds from the Sega are bound to bring you squarely back to your childhood, or at least on an epic quest involving ninjitsu and fireballs, adding credibility to the claim that Sega does what NintenDonít.

Download it here - http://www.noisechannel.org/nc006

Last edited by Groovemaster303; 12-19-2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Album now released

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Jredd told me about it, I'm defintiely looking forward
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

That last track seemed awesome!

FM-Possible has now been released. The original post has been edited and now includes download links and youtube preview tracks.

Time for a review:
    Introduction - Old-school as it should be, gets the nostalgia mood on, not great, but good.
    Select Your Fighter - Love the scratch sfx, drums should and could be better.
    A Timeless Adventure - Has a weak start, but then gets awesome, and progressively more awesome. The chorus could be a bit better.
    Crystal Breaks - Good, nothing out of the ordinary, but nothing to complain about either.
    Chrome Skyline - Love it
    Jolly Synthesizer - I think this one was already out before this album, insanely good drums. Excellent song overall.
    Bonus Stage Extended - Instruments sound great, but the song itself doesn't do much for me.
    Keep on Groovin' - Pretty sure it was also previously available, one of the best. Near perfect.
    Moon Fragments - Starts out too boring, then when more instruments join in, it becomes good, then it's boring again, then good again.
    Legend of the Silver Dragon - Also previously available, not the best, but really good.
    Megaforce - I was in love with it when it was only a TFM tune, then you added some brutal drums to it, fucking awesome. The breakdown near the end kinda sucks.
    Scorched Sands - Badass tune, totally badass.
    Merchant's Den - Excellent. I'm imagining it being used at a merchant area in a RPG and it fits perfectly.
    Sega Power - I think it was already out, never liked it. Don't really know why though. Probably because it doesn't fit the title, lacks POWER.
    Dark Encounter - Another badass tune. Really badass, very SORish.
    Stained Glass Maze - I expected it to be awesome from the preview, but not this awesome. Also didn't expect that really lame intro .
    Out of Time - Where's the cool drums? FM drums suck 99% of the time. This is one of those times.
    Unravel the Mistery - Cringe worthy intro, rest of the song is good.
    Volt City - What more is there to be said about this song? Every second of it is an orgasm to the ears.
    Burning Surge - Awesome drums again, don't like the guitar though, the lead used is also an instrument I hate to hear on the genesis. That UUUUUUUUUU sound.
    Toe Jam Funk - 5 stars, funky indeed.
    Redline, Full Throttle - Epic, old-school, high energy. Reminds me of Thunderforce, but with good drums. 5 stars.
    Don't Lose the Funk - One of the top tracks, soft, but every instrument is perfect. The composition is magnificent.
    Don't Lose the Funk (Act 2) - Besides those UUUUU sounds without assistance at the start, perfect. All those sound effects, biggest nostalgia trip on the album. Top 3 if not the best.
    FM Synthesis Rocks - Fart sounds, BOOO. Oh and there's that UUUU sound again. My least favorite.
    Retro Future - The drums are insanely good, other instruments are kinda soft, should be louder.
    High Seas - Yey, another cringe worthy intro. Too beepy as well.
    Dark Foreshadow - Never start a song with the instrument used here alone. Rest of the song is great.
    Blue Funk - Meh... I guess I was used to having every song that says "Funk" to be awesome, this one isn't. Not bad at all, but not great either. That guitar solo sound needed a really powerful backing guitar.
    Rewind - 5 star tune, the instruments are perfect. That UUUU sound is kept in the background, as it should always be.
    The Will to Survive - Guitar is a little "farty". Needs work on the guitar. I really like the song though, it's really really good.
    The Final Hour - Now this guitar is more like it, the other instrument is weak though, really weak.
    Peace has Returned - UUUU sound.... Baaaaaaahhhh. Drums are weak too at the start. Bottom of the barrel this one.
    Goodnight Monster World - Monster world indeed. Good song.
    Thank You For Playing - If I got this as the end song in a game, I'd be disappointed to be honest. That is, until the awesomeness starts at 0:30. This album has a lot of weak intros.
    Kids up in my Crib - The best thing about this song is whatever was smoked during that intro. The second disappointing track on the album.
    Funky Operator - Fun song, not the best, but really fun to listen too.

Well, that's my opinion. I was a lot harsher on some songs then they actually deserve, but compared to the top tracks on the album, some just don't deliver.
    Last edited by Kamahl; 12-19-2011 at 04:02 PM.

'UUU' = PSG. I love it personally as it complements the harsher FM and I find it expressive and with a lot of character. But I grew up with SMS so it might be more of a nostalgia thing.
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Alianger View Post
    'UUU' = PSG. I love it personally as it complements the harsher FM and I find it expressive and with a lot of character. But I grew up with SMS so it might be more of a nostalgia thing.
    Not always, you can tell it is FM sometimes, it sounds more defined. I also like a lot as a complement (used very well in TF4 for example), I just don't like it as the lead instrument.

Any chance you'll share the tracker files with us? I'd love to mess with some of those patches (that violin in Scorched Sands for one).

It's possible that at some point we will release the tracker files although we would need to make sure everything is renamed. Scorched Sands is still named Angry Guitar in my VGM-MM folder. :-)

Regarding PSG, On most songs we preferred to use it as a backing instrument to the FM parts. But on tracks like Burning Surge and Final Hour we used 4 channels for layering the guitar patches which left us one channel for DAC and one for bass which then allowed us to give PSG the opportunity to shine in a lead role.

Thread Information