Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a very rare Game Gear Game on Vacation...

Default Found a very rare Game Gear Game on Vacation...

I was on a trip to PA for thanksgiving and there was an inside flea market. I've been to this place tons of times and there were no Video Games at all. Though when I went there yesterday, I was walking through the place and I saw a store that I have never noticed before, they had tons and tons of rare video games! And their Boxed Genesis Selection was insanely good! The only problem was the prices were some of the worst I have ever seen! $16 for boxed Golden Axe II? $18 for Lethal Enforcers II CD? $200 for an X'EYE? Nearly every game there was at least $10! Even the normally 99 cent sports games were $9!

I ended up getting a really good deal though. The boxed game gear games were being hanged by their hang tab on a wall covered with advertisements. In the back of the line was a game being covered up by a sign in front of the spine so you couldn't see the name(I think the sign was an advertisement for XBOX for something). I asked to take a look at it, it was the a near pristine US copy of True Lies for the Sega Game Gear, complete with box, manual, cart, insert, card, and even the little bag around the cartridge, it was only $8. From what I understand, there are now 4 or 5 Boxes known to be in existence and is one of the hardest to find Game Gear boxes. It's kind of funny how worthless some Game Boy and Game Gear games are without the boxes but with the boxes they're extremely valuable.

Here are pictures: http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/...20Game%20Gear/
    Last edited by GameMaster600; 11-27-2011 at 11:48 AM.

From what I understand, there are now 4 or 5 Boxes known to be in existence and is one of the hardest to find Game Gear boxes.
    And who did you hear this from?

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    And who did you hear this from?
    Kind of did some research, looked through forums like nintendo age, sega age, and here. Tried finding out how many there were.

Are you referring to that place in the inside flea market in the Poconos that charges outrageous prices? I went there once, they wanted $130 for Kolibri 32x boxed, and some other outrageous prices that made me want to gag.

CIB anything for Game Gear is hard to find though, you should try to get in touch with a user on the Digital Press forums called Portnoyd to see if you can value it, he's a big expert on Game Gear stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Nah, wasn't in the Poconos, but sounds like their prices might even be worse! $130 for Kolibri boxed is like $100 overpriced!

Thanks for letting me know about portnoyd, I'm going to send him a message and ask him what he thinks the value of it is. I'm not trying to sell it but I'm curious to find out what it's really worth.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

It sure looks pristine.

...But I'd also still want some references as to where you got that info...

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    It sure looks pristine.

...But I'd also still want some references as to where you got that info...
    I was just trying to figure out how many copies there were so I tried looking around on some forums like Nintendo Age, Sega Age, and Atari Age and I came to the conclusion there were at least 5 of the boxes confirmed to be in existence and owned by collectors. Sega Age rated the box as a 10 Rarity.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I've heard the same thing about the rarity, but there are no real numbers to back it up like with 90% of all rare game claims. For all we know, there could be a shipping container sitting in NYC full of copies of the game that never got distributed.

Regardless though, congrats because that's a really nice score since they almost never show up. Depending on the demand for it it could be worth quite a lot. Keep it very safe for now though, if you put it away I'd bag it and put it in double-box or something else just to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I've heard the same thing about the rarity, but there are no real numbers to back it up like with 90% of all rare game claims. For all we know, there could be a shipping container sitting in NYC full of copies of the game that never got distributed.

Regardless though, congrats because that's a really nice score since they almost never show up. Depending on the demand for it it could be worth quite a lot. Keep it very safe for now though, if you put it away I'd bag it and put it in double-box or something else just to be sure.
    Thanks! Yeah, with games like this, the prices and numbers are not always accurate. I guess we'll find out when the next one shows up for auction. I was just lucky I noticed the store this time and even luckier that this was marked so cheap. I'm probably going to keep it in one of those game box protectors, or at least do something to keep it safe, wouldn't want such a pristine box getting ruined.

I've owned and sold a copy of True Lies CIB in the past, top 7 hardest to find CIB game gear games for sure. Not Rise of the Robots rare, but certainly up there. Excellent find.

For those wondering, there really are very few of these confirmed as CIB. No idea at the real number, but I'd be shocked if there were more than a dozen known to be in the hands of collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMark0673 View Post
    I've owned and sold a copy of True Lies CIB in the past, top 7 hardest to find CIB game gear games for sure. Not Rise of the Robots rare, but certainly up there. Excellent find.

For those wondering, there really are very few of these confirmed as CIB. No idea at the real number, but I'd be shocked if there were more than a dozen known to be in the hands of collectors.
    Thanks! I hope that you got a good deal when you sold that True Lies CIB, bet it'd go for a ton on eBay nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by GameMaster600 View Post
    Thanks! I hope that you got a good deal when you sold that True Lies CIB, bet it'd go for a ton on eBay nowadays.
    I actually sold it very recently and did quite well. I sold it in a lot with:

Rise of the Robots CIB
    Fatal Fury Special CIB
    Captain America CIB

My brother's thread can be found here: http://segaage.com/forum/messageview...threadid=44219

Nailed most of the hard to find GG titles in a relatively short period of time, almost wished we had held onto them. Certainly not going to see a few of those for quite some time, especially Rise and Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMark0673 View Post
    I actually sold it very recently and did quite well. I sold it in a lot with:

Rise of the Robots CIB
    Fatal Fury Special CIB
    Captain America CIB

My brother's thread can be found here: http://segaage.com/forum/messageview...threadid=44219

Nailed most of the hard to find GG titles in a relatively short period of time, almost wished we had held onto them. Certainly not going to see a few of those for quite some time, especially Rise and Captain America.
    That was your brother? I saw that thread while looking for information on this game. You're so lucky he get those four games so quick, you probably should've kept all of them. Glad you got a good deal when you sold those 3 though.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GameMaster600 View Post
    There's a guy selling one on Ebay right now. He wants $65 for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRUE-LIES-Sc...item45fe769e21
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hero of Algol

But that's the Japanese version... And, actually, the most expensive GG game that hit-japan is selling. IDK which version is the most rare.

Thread Information