Quantcast

Thread: Urban Strike

Default Urban Strike

We continue or week-long coverage of Electronic Arts' Strike games with a review for the final game in the original trilogy, Urban Strike. Taking the franchise to new levels of challenge and action, it was a great way to round out the series on the Genesis, and it set the stage for the next generation of Strike games on the 32-bit platforms. Read the full review on this bad boy for all the details.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-21-2011 at 02:33 PM.

It’s really a shame that the run and gun scenes are so bad.
    And yeah, I remember that “impossible” way to play in 6 button mode.

All in all Strike is a great series, and for me, Desert Strike will always be one of the best games for the Mega Drive.

Thanks for reviving my memories

Raging in the Streets

While Desert Strike (and Jungle Strike to a lesser extent) seemed bent on becoming the video game equivalent of Hot Shots, Urban Strike tries very hard to be exactly what Mike Posehn and co. were originally making fun of – overly serious ‘90s action flicks about military aces taking on a mustachioed bad guy and his goon squad. You can see it in the intermissions, the graphics, the scenarios, the animations, everything. To be quite honest, it isn't very welcome.
    I dunno - I think the tongue is slightly less in cheek than the previous two games, but it's still in there. "Why can't I fight an evil idiot?"

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I thought Urban Strike was relatively weak. Fortunately, the series really returned to form with Soviet Strike.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Have you ever seen the end credits? They have special thanks to James Cameron along with Seal and Danny Elfman. I wonder why? Maybe they were some sort of inspiration and I can get Cameron since he's making action movies and Elfman making movie music but Seal?!! He had like one song "Kiss from a Rose" how did that affect them?

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

The Strike games on the Mega Drive are one of the greatest series of shoot-'em-ups ever in my opinion. They weren't about mindless blasting, a lot of strategy and thought had to go into how you approached each mission. They were, in a sense, the thinking man's shoot-'em-up. Forget the crap that followed on the 32bit systems, as far as I'm concerned the Strike series ended after I completed Urban Strike to round off an absolutely superb trilogy of games by EA.

Urban Strike had a great James Bond style villainous plot in which the evil drug lord from Jungle Strike, Carlos Ortega, escaped death at the end of that game and went into hiding. Whilst in hiding he has complete facial reconstruction via plastic surgery to emerge years later as the super powerful and wealthy media tycoon, Malone. Now he either wants to take over the world or destroy it, I can't remember which, and you have to strap yourself into your attack chopper, sometimes get out to fight on foot (a first for the series) and over the course of several missions take him out once and for all!

Now admittedly this game has it's flaws and had a seriously hard task on it's hands in having to follow in the footsteps of Jungle Strike. For the most part it works, and works very well. The missions are frantic and the explosions are meaty but the all-new and, admittedly at the time, exciting prospect of leaving your 'copter and fighting on foot for the first time in the series was not handled very well. Your pilots actions feel very jerky and stilted on foot, although maybe that's because he's lost the feeling in his legs after being strapped into his helicopter seat for hours on end! Still these sections of the game are few and far between and there is plenty of good old fashioned Strike blasting action and civilian rescues to enjoy in the meantime. Big fans of the Strike trilogy like mysef love Urban Strike but it does have a very different feel and style to it's predecessors and so for those not as enamoured with EA's helicopter series I would suggest they stick with the two masterpieces that are Desert Strike and Jungle Strike.

Banned by Administrators

Finally conquered this childhood game of mine 3 days ago for the first time. Weird, because it wasn't near as hard as I remembered it? I actually breezed through it, but I was also warmed up from playing Jungle Strike just prior (which I did to better compare these games). As a kid I made it as far as Las Vegas, and it took a long time to make it that far, but I didn't mind because I kept starting from the first stage with each session anyway. I loved replaying this game as a kid. It was also my introduction to this series. Sadly, this lead to being disappointed with what came before Urban, compared to what came after Urban.

One thing that did bug me about the helicopters was the lack of drift in the controls. Remember how in Desert and Jungle you’d continue to float a ways even after you let up on the throttle? Well, they’ve taken that out almost entirely, leaving a control style similar to the “without momentum” modes of yore. To some this might be a minor gripe, but I’d built up a distinct style over the years that required a considerable amount of skidding, only to realize after a few fiery deaths that success in Urban Strike would require a bit of rethinking. Other than that, the controls do the job adequately. A word of warning: it’s impossible to play the game with a six-button controller, despite what the options screen says. You’ll have to disable the extra buttons or switch to a stock pad thanks to a bug with the “intelligence info” displays.
    I have no idea what the reviewer is talking here about. The gameplay has actually been improved because your helicopter, even the slower passenger one, move quite a bit faster now. So strafing to dodge bullets is much easier (basically just strafing left and right back to back is enough to beat the game no probelmo). Maybe reviewer has no idea how to strafe in this game like most I see on YouTube and even SNES GameFAQ guide?

And all you guys complaining about it being impossible in 6 Button mode are wrong. As I preferred 6 Button mode back in the day playing this game. The only thing 6 Button mode messes up is the few intelligence info screens that prompt you to check during gameplay for intel, as it enters and just as quickly exits it before you can read it. But if you already know the answers to them, then they are useless. ie. Inside oil rig fo air strike press A button. For the vehicle hack in Mexico press C button. For the the Twin Towers mission press A button. For the last mission objective, drop buddy in that lazer weapon thingy. That's all you need to know to enjoy 6 Button. Otherwise if playing 3 button, make the Hydras/Strafe be button B so you have strafe button in the middle, this way you can strafe and have both C and A weapons right next to strafe button. But without 6 Button, you can't strafe and fire Hydra missiles at the same time since this button is shared with strafe (hold for strafe, tap for Hydra).

So is it all gravy? Mostly, yes. I think the game might be a little too long in between passwords, much like Desert Strike, and later levels are so tough that it might make you reach for your Game Genie.
    Same reviewer wrote this for Jungle Strike, and I know exactly what he's talking about. Those super OP tanks that have to be also fought in Danger Zones on the snow stage with a slower the Urban Strike helicopter. Basically you have avoid them or to approach them from behind and keep moving out of their range around or through them, or you're basically toast if they start with a line of sight on you since they do so much dmg under Danger Zone statistics, have double health and track you just as fast as you can dodge and can shoot off screen. Nothing this hard exists in Urban Strike because there are ways to remove all danger zones in Urban Strike, unlike Jungle. So Urban is more evenly balanced and easier too. Thus a better introduction to series since most gamers hate too hard games and this series is considered very hard anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AEther View Post
    It’s really a shame that the run and gun scenes are so bad.
    And yeah, I remember that “impossible” way to play in 6 button mode.

All in all Strike is a great series, and for me, Desert Strike will always be one of the best games for the Mega Drive.

Thanks for reviving my memories
    Run N Gun sections are a very small part of the game. They are very short and only 3 in total VS 7 with Helicopter missions. Only reason they are hated is because they seem very hard at the start, as reviewer said "cheap turrets" and what not. I even was stumped on the first on foot missions as a kid. But once you figure out how to eliminate all challenge from these maps, you'll never have a hard time on these stages ever again.

Protip; to remove all challenge from these on foot missions is to know you have more range then your enemies, to the point that your gun locks on and can even shoot enemies/turrets off screen without them noticing you. If you accidentally run into a turret, run away quickly until it stops shooting you, then turn around and shoot it from safe range. For all small trooper enemies, they do very little dmg anyway and can even just rush them with better dps. ie. rapid tap the fire button for much faster dps.

Protip; If you can find Elvis on the last on foot mission, he'll constantly provide armour repair after each song he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I thought Urban Strike was relatively weak. Fortunately, the series really returned to form with Soviet Strike.
    And I think the series got better from Urban Strike and forward. Because gameplay is best in Urban. Helicopter mission maps are better looking and more unique and diverse then something in Jungle, which feel too much like the same textures repeated for every square inch for most maps (this is what I hate most about Jungle. Boring maps). More destructible scenery. Better night stage for Las Vegas VS what felt like total darkness in Jungle's Night Strike. Missions are more diverse too. More secrets (like locating Elvis on most maps) and bonus hidden side missions encouraging more exploration. More passenger pickups which add to more multi-tasking since they also repair you armour with each one you drop off. Extra helicopter choice for some maps. etc.

And everybody complaining about on foot missions are also forgetting that Jungle shares a similar blight. The very lame Hovercraft, Motorcycle and Stealth ship mission.

The only time I enjoyed another non-helicopter vehicle in this series was the Jet in Nuclear Strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    The Strike games on the Mega Drive are one of the greatest series of shoot-'em-ups ever in my opinion. They weren't about mindless blasting, a lot of strategy and thought had to go into how you approached each mission. They were, in a sense, the thinking man's shoot-'em-up. Forget the crap that followed on the 32bit systems, as far as I'm concerned the Strike series ended after I completed Urban Strike to round off an absolutely superb trilogy of games by EA.

Urban Strike had a great James Bond style villainous plot in which the evil drug lord from Jungle Strike, Carlos Ortega, escaped death at the end of that game and went into hiding. Whilst in hiding he has complete facial reconstruction via plastic surgery to emerge years later as the super powerful and wealthy media tycoon, Malone. Now he either wants to take over the world or destroy it, I can't remember which, and you have to strap yourself into your attack chopper, sometimes get out to fight on foot (a first for the series) and over the course of several missions take him out once and for all!

Now admittedly this game has it's flaws and had a seriously hard task on it's hands in having to follow in the footsteps of Jungle Strike. For the most part it works, and works very well. The missions are frantic and the explosions are meaty but the all-new and, admittedly at the time, exciting prospect of leaving your 'copter and fighting on foot for the first time in the series was not handled very well. Your pilots actions feel very jerky and stilted on foot, although maybe that's because he's lost the feeling in his legs after being strapped into his helicopter seat for hours on end! Still these sections of the game are few and far between and there is plenty of good old fashioned Strike blasting action and civilian rescues to enjoy in the meantime. Big fans of the Strike trilogy like mysef love Urban Strike but it does have a very different feel and style to it's predecessors and so for those not as enamoured with EA's helicopter series I would suggest they stick with the two masterpieces that are Desert Strike and Jungle Strike.
    No, I would suggest those new to the series start with Desert and Urban. Jungle has a much higher chance of scaring new players away because once the tanks in danger zones appear in snow stage, the difficulty takes a massive spike. That and the difficulty jumps all over the place, while for Urban its more consistent and more gradually gets harder as the game moves along. And it's easier to dodge incoming fire with faster and more maneuverable helicopters.

Urban Strike also has the best introductory stage for new players. Maps looks very awesome, lots of mission variety, plenty ammo/fuel/armour pickups, extra double armour 2nd helicopter, even a hidden 1up, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan View Post
    Have you ever seen the end credits? They have special thanks to James Cameron along with Seal and Danny Elfman. I wonder why? Maybe they were some sort of inspiration and I can get Cameron since he's making action movies and Elfman making movie music but Seal?!! He had like one song "Kiss from a Rose" how did that affect them?
    James Cameron gets thanked in Jungle Strike too.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I destroyed this game over the weekend despite still having Jungle Strike to knock off.

There's a lot to like here even compared to that game, some of which Thief has covered above. He's right that the stages are more attractive and varied this time round, and I'm not sure if it was my imagination but either the chopper is slightly faster or the levels are more compact since there seems to be less dead time between areas. The chopper missions themselves are at least as good as the previous game IMO (to where I'm currently at anyway), and I did appreciate the improved maneuverability. Enemy vehicles are great near-future style designs that fit great with the new setting.

I can see why this game has an element of controversy these days, I mean holy shit I'm winching guys to safety from one of the Twin Towers which has a massive hole blown in it. In fact the whole game is neutralizing a home grown uprising on US soil, 'Home field advantage!' proclaims the back of the box.

I still don't like the on foot missions, although the Vegas ones were better. There really is no excuse for having scrolling of that janky nature in a Sega Mega Drive game. These missions are really the only thing stopping this being the overall better game IMO

I thought the new timed missions were a good addition too, though they didn't seem to come up much.

Banned by Administrators

Glad to hear you gave Urban Strike a chance and enjoyed it.

Thread Information