Quantcast

Thread: Sega Gear: ASCII Fighter Stick SG-6

Default Sega Gear: ASCII Fighter Stick SG-6

You're playing Mortal Kombat 3 or Street Fighter II CE and you just can't take the controller's unsuitable D-pad. What's a gamer to do? Why, get himself a real fighting stick, that's what! There are plenty of candidates available (as evidenced by our Accessories & Peripheral Guide), so which to choose? There's the stellar Sega Arcade Stick, but those can be hard to find and are sometimes even pricey. A good alternative is the ASCII Fighter Stick SG-6, which gives you plenty of options to get the best out of your fighting game experience. Check out our Sega Gear review and see if this is the stick for you!
    Last edited by Melf; 01-12-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

ASCII made great controllers back in the day. The quality rivaled that of what both Sega and Nintendo put out.

The Genesis was not good enough for true ASCII products, so we got the cheap ASCIIWARE instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    You're playing Mortal Kombat 3
    NEVER!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    you just can't take the controller's unsuitable D-pad.
    Then perhaps I should be using an official Sega 6-button pad. Can't be beat.

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

Isn't this the joystick in those "HOW I SAVED THE WORLD FROM CROCODILE PEOPLE" (or something similar) ads?

Always wanted one as a kid so that maybe I too could fight crocodile people. I never actually owned any Genesis games that would be any better off with an arcade stick, at least not at that age.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

Yup Croc people ad.

I have a ASCIIPAD SG that i bought years ago and still use to this day. Solid as a rock and my weapon of choice when playing SOR2.

It's a shame they never made a 6-button pad that *WASN'T* using the SNES button placement, the SG d-pad is far better than the stock Sega 6-button controller.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Got me one of these just the other day. They don't go for a whole lot nowadays. Mine cost the equivalent of $15.
    So far I reckon it's a great stick. Very responsive and the whole unit feels very solid to me. That's always a plus in my book. I mean you get these really great looking arcade sticks but that don't have that arcade type feel because there's no real "weight" to them. This one is different. Thumbs up!
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

Does this thing use real microswitches?
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

^^

AFAIK, the Japanese version of the stick does use actual microswitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

But the US one doesn't? Meh. My quest for the Capcom Genesis stick continues...
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Master of Shinobi

I purchased the Capcom Stick and hated it. Returned it for the ASCii stick. The capcom stick had a really loose stick with a wide swing angle iirc. And the whole capcom unit felt hollow, light, and cheap.

The ASCii sticks are my default Genesis/Sega CD controllers.

The opical sticks they made for Dreamcast are some of the best home joysticks ever imo.

The joysticks they made for Saturn were cheap and junky though.
    Last edited by Zz Badnusty; 01-13-2013 at 09:31 AM.

This ASCII 6 Button Arcade Stick it's a really great Arcade Controller option for the Mega Drive!

Played a lot of my favorite games with it and it works GREAT!

I only got a problem with Mortal Kombat (the first one). The game simply don't detect it!
    Only works with the MODE trick, but like a 3 button controller... Ouch!
    Now i don't know if it's a problem with my Fighter Stick SG 6 or with the game.

Someone with this same Arcade Stick have this same problem in MK1?
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    This ASCII 6 Button Arcade Stick it's a really great Arcade Controller option for the Mega Drive!

I only got a problem with Mortal Kombat (the first one). The game simply don't detect it!

This is an issue with MKI.

Both this and the ASCII PAD MD-6 use a bit different protocol than the original Sega Arcade Pad.
    OTOH, WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game even has a proper layout dedicated to the ASCII Pad.
    Last edited by Barone; 01-12-2021 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    This is an issue with MKI.

Both this and the ASCII PAD MD-6 use a bit different protocol than the original Sega Arcade Pad.
    OTOH, WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game even has a proper layout dedicated to the ASCII Pad.
    Ouch! So i will need to fix this for my MK1 Arcade Hack...
    I'm playing WRESTLEMANIA other day with it and i see the layout for ASCII PAD in the options. Never seen other game doing that.

Thanks for the clarification!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post

Yup, I have the same problem w/ MK1. I have 4 each of the ASCII Fighter Stick SG-6s. Bought them "like new" years ago, in their original 90's boxes and they are solid.

There is a company on eBay which is still selling ASCII Rhino Pads brand new. I picked up 2 each recently and they work great. If I had a complaint about them, it would be that they are a bit small for my hands. I just tried them out on MK1. Its so weird, on the Player 1 port, when you hold down the Start button it blocks but randomly unblocks, blocks, unblocks, etc. B and Y don't do this, they just block. When pressing the Start button through the menu screens, you really have to press down hard for it to register. Also, the C button is spotty when you press it. It either works or it doesn't. If you hold down the C Button, it will randomly kick like a turbo feature. The turbo and auto were off on the Rhino Pad, so this was strange. On Player 2 port, the Rhino Pad worked flawlessly. I swapped the identical controllers on the ports and the same results occurred. I then held down the Mode button before I powered MK1 on. It switches the controls to 3 button and the Start & C buttons work flawlessly.

I doubt that my Player 1 port on my Model 1 is malfunctioning because my other games are working fine. It has to be that MK1 does not like ASCII.

Thread Information