141. You may not vote on this poll
  • PSX

63 44.68%
  • Saturn

78 55.32%
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The PSX Vs Saturn Poll.

I liked Sonic Jam...

I had so much fun with Playstation thats its hard to imagine I would have gotten just as much or more enjoyment from the Saturn. I'm fully satisfied will all the time I spent with PS and dont regret not getting a Saturn instead one bit. Would I liked to have had a Saturn AND a PSX ? Sure of course but no way would I have rather had just a Saturn. Heck Id even choose an N64 over a Saturn.

Nameless One

I bought a Saturn back in the day and never once regretted it. I was in my first year at uni at the time and my flatmates later got a PSX and N64 and I was working in a videogame shop at the time so had access to just about all the PAL games that came out (and luckily with regards to the Saturn particularly in the latter days also import titles)

Obviously the PSX is a fantastic machine with a a wide and deep library of games and to dismiss it is a fools games. Too many good titles.

Likewise the N64 - a different type of library but the sheer amount of time Mario 64, PilotWings, GoldenEye and particularly Intrnational SuperStar Soccer 64 took up in our flat more than justified the machine.

However I can honestly say that I never once looked to the PSX library or N64 with envious eyes. This was because the Saturn provided me with more of the type of games that wanted to play. I could see that it was going to come third to the other two machines (partly due to the sheer wealth of games PSX was getting, the praise in the mainstream press it was getting (never underestimate how much good coverage a swanky part with artists signed to Sony performing will sway a journalist on the fence!) and more importantly the frequent and numerous demo disks. The N64 was a more peculiar beast but all my years in gaming have taught me to never write off Nintendo. However wrong a mis-step they seem to be making they get a lot more right than they get wrong and always seem to make a profit (at this point someone usually points out the Virtual Boy with a chortle)

However none of this changed the amount of enjoyment I got (and still get!) from my Saturn. From shaving milliseconds off lap times on Sega Rally, to multiplayer Bomberman, drifting past the Sonic Wall sidewards in Daytona (I know people thought it scked as a conversion but the conversion absolutely nailed the gameplay spot on) to being astounded at the quality of the Virtua Fighter 2 conversion to the awesome Capcom fighter conversions. Layer Section/Galactic Attack, Parodius, flying dreamily throught the digital fairytale that is NiGHTS to taking down the enemy airfleet with a perfectly executed lock-on in Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei hooked up to the stereo to awesome effect. The beautiful pad. The 5 parallels of Dark Saviour, whacking in the ROM cart for King of Fighters 95, or creeping through the eerie silent corridors of Enemy Zero with only the motion tracker beep as company. Playing Death Tanks Zwei with my housemates for round after round. Corbomite and the hidden 7th tank! So many magic moments!

Sure the other systems had some amazing titles but the Saturn in many ways summed up Sega to me. The plucky under-dog full of personality. If the PSX was like a Golden Retriever (everywhere, pretty much universally liked and even endorsing toilet tissue) and the N64 was more like a pure breed Great Dane (amazing when you see one, impressive in lots of ways but ultimately slightly less robust than you'd think, don't see them so often and a little inconvenient in terms of being anything other than a Great Dane) the Saturn felt to me like the Mongrel (not entirely sure of its parentage or how many different breeds were mixed in, a little bit of border collie, a little bit of spaniel, wait maybe a little bit of boxer or labrador but full of personality and just desperate to be loved)

Well the analogy might be a bit tortured but in some ways it felt with Saturn (and also Dreamcast) that the more limited library meant there was a little bit more of a community. Each game got a chance to breath on its own. i.e. the game wasn't competing wth another 20 titles that came out the same day (The N64 also had this with maybe weeks or months between each of its big hitters, while the PSX just seemed to flood the market with titles every week all vying with each other which while it meant there were some brilliant hidden gems also meant a lot got missed). This led to a brilliant shared cultural experience. Everyone with a Saturn would have played most the games mentioned above (as well as some of the more obscure games before branching into the wonderful world of import titles)

History has been a little unkind to the Saturn in that many people dismiss it as obvious from day 1 that the Saturn was awful and the PlayStation was amazing but it was actually pretty close for the first few years and an exciting time to be a gamer. History also gets re-written frequently and it seems common to say that the games that sold the PSX were Tomb Raider, WipeOut, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Resident Evil but in my experience (in the UK at least) it was as much titles like Formula 1 and Loaded that did as much or more to sell the machine. PSX had nothing to touch Sega Rally until Colin McCrae came out for example. The pleasing thing is that a lo of decent Saturn games are getting ported to the download services so at least people can get to experience some of the great games from this generation. It never ceases to amaze me how many so called gamers have never played on a Saturn (in a similar way to having never played on a Dreamcast or XBOX or whatever if they had a PS1 or PS2) As a gamer I try to experience every system as every system has some brilliant games and the Saturn is no exception - providing some of the very best games of that generation.

Anyway - could rabbit on for ages on this.

But if you are still reading by now then I'll add my vote to Saturn :-)

Playstation. Had a more diverse library of times (obviously outliving the Saturn but still), had a huge marketing push by Sony (quite obviously), was easier to make games for, and Memory Cards. Yes. Memory Cards.

Plus I mean....come on. The PS intro on boot was awesome as hell.

Granted the Saturn was awesome to see when it came out, but I saw nothing that proved Saturn was better than PS.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    I liked Sonic Jam...

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Actually having the opposite opinion to Mr. Smith is what should cause a ban TBH. A true Sega fan should be disappointed with the Saturn.
    Still, I don't care about Sega, only games like Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, Thunderforce 5 and Panzer Dragoon Zwei. So Saturn ftw.
    This seems to be the avg Sega-16er ratio: 2 Treasure and 1 Technosoft to every Sega game. Boo.
    And what our future President is expressing is his distaste for a machine w/o Sonic, Kid Chameleon, Phantasy Star, or Ecco. On the other hand how he justifies his PS2 enthusiasm is lost on me but it is well known that the workings of great men's minds are lost upon commoners.

But the Saturn did have Sonic and Phantasy Star...

I quit video games ESWAT Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    :O
    You need to stop supporting Mr Smith, as he clearly has bad taste in video games. He rarely ever comes to these forums, and when he does, he just refers to everything as "Tosh" and "Gash". He is clearly a Dictator.

I had a dream last night, and Raul Julia was there. He said to me, "The Saturn was a great console with many great games, and despite the fact that it didn't sell well in North America, only a fool would dismiss its awesomeness."

So if Raul Julia says the Saturn is cool, then it must be.

inb4heresyclaims

But the Saturn did have Sonic and Phantasy Star...
    Well then the PS2 clearly carries the day as its Mega Collection is better than Jam and its Phantasy Stars 1 and 2 actually add new material.
    Though for what it matters there is a smatch of PhS in PDS.

Mega Collection is buggy Emulation. Jam uses ports that enhance the games. Therefore Jam is better than Mega Collection. Not to mention Jam has Sonic World and the best version of 3D Blast is on the Saturn.

Also Phantasy Star Collection has all that art and what not that Generation 1 and 2 don't have. Then again, the PS Mega Collection on PS2 has that as well, along with both English and JP roms. Though the Saturn collection does allow you to modify movement speed.

5200 controllers repaired Master of Shinobi tz101's Avatar

The systems:

Saturn - pixelated
    PSX - triangulated polygons and see-through surfaces
    N64 - blurred

Pick your poison. They all had their share of good titles, but if you are asking a person to choose only one, Saturn or PSX, then certainly sheer number of games has to come into the equation at some point. Now, I realize some of this is based on sentimental reasoning (which system you got for Christmas as a kid), but I was grown by the time these wars were waged, and after the fact, PSX just is logically the better choice.
    It is finished!

Mega Collection is buggy Emulation. Jam uses ports that enhance the games. Therefore Jam is better than Mega Collection. Not to mention Jam has Sonic World and the best less awful version of 3D Blast is on the Saturn.
    Really doesn't matter how buggy the emulation when they've already been played to death on Genesis or aren't available in the other pack (Game Gear &c). I don't need Jam's enhancements or enjoy Sonic World which might as well be Wally World.
    In the end I hope this is all mild killtime twitting on your part as neither Flickies' Island, Sonic R, nor a couple compilations equates to a new 2D Sonic or any form of Phantasy Star. Although to be honest I'd gladly let Nights stand in for Sonic if there'd been KC, SoR, or PhS. Ecco as 2D takes the back seat to them and it wouldn't have been anything short of disastrous on the Saturn considering that the otherwise superb DC game barely, barely has enough draw distance.
    On the plus side at least the Saturn didn't get a Ristar.

I quit video games ESWAT Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tz101 View Post
    PSX just is logically the better choice.
    No offense, but what do mean by "Logically?" Are you saying that people that prefer the Saturn are dumb? Because that's certainly NOT true. People that prefer the niche are the wisest of us all.

Having in the Spin Dash in Sonic 1 is a huge plus if you ask me. It makes the game actually enjoyable to play. Sonic World is a nice demo for Sonic Adventure and the history and art in it is nice to look through. And Saturn 3D Blast is actually an enjoyable game to play. The better Music, 3D Special Stages, and nicer controls make the game significantly better.

Phantasy Star Collection is a nice compilation of the first 4 games, and it too adds enhancements such as faster walking speed for the earlier titles. But you can't really blame Sega for not giving us Phantasy Star 5. At the end of 4 all the loose ends have been tied up. There's nothing to build on. Blame the finality of Phantasy Star 4's ending for the lack of a Phantasy Star 5.

And there was a SoR4 in the works for the Saturn.

Thread Information