Quantcast

Thread: Master of Weapon

Default Master of Weapon

Ah shmups. Call them shooters or what you will, there's no denying their appeal. Dashing through space, killing all in your path...it's a most satisfying way to spend an afternoon; however, sometimes the glory isn't worth the pain. Take Taito's Master of Weapon, for instance. If ever a game should have stayed in the arcade, this was it. Read our full review and see why most elite pilots will take a sick day, regardless of the dire peril to their homeworld.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-08-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Wildside Expert

It's called T A I T O. And thats why it sucks.

I've been waiting for this one to pop up. I think the graphics and sound are definitely first generation quality at best and essentially looks like a "bigger" 8-bit game. The weird Greek disembodied heads and popcorn-looking gunfire really give it an odd, sort of disjointed look to the style as it is. Even then, it's a fun game. It's strictly an old fashioned vertical shooter, and I really enjoy how familiar it feels -- sort of like a hybrid of Xevious and Truxton.

I never had any hit-box issues with Master of Weapon, and I find the game is a good bit on the easy side where I never feel too threatened anyway. I think that's both good and bad, because while it lacks challenge it's fun to just fly around and blow stuff up without having to worry about chains, level memorization, etc. I'm not familiar with the arcade game, but while that one image at KLOV show it to be an ugly looking port, it doesn't bother me because it's just fun to play (and probably because I never got the chance to play the original). Can't say I really disagree with any of the points or score too much other than that it is an enjoyable game, for some people anyway.

Well, that's one harsch review (AS IN -> with a few spelling errors). I do agree with most of it, but I still think this is more interesting than say, Verytex because the enemy designs are actually memorable in their ugliness, and the themes are really mixed up. At first, it seems like a semi-futuristic shooter with cityscapes, tanks and the like, but all of a sudden you start meeting gargoyles and stuff and the bosses look like something out of greek mythology.

I also had no problems with the hit box being too big. Bullets can actually pass straight through the tip of your ship and it's easy to reproduce. However, there is a major flaw with the movement box: a whole 4th of the screen (from the top) is inaccesible to your ship! It rarely matters, but it's still poor programming.
    Last edited by Alianger; 11-12-2006 at 03:53 PM.

It's called T A I T O. And thats why it sucks.
    Hey now, watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alianger
    Well, that's one harsch review (with a few spelling errors).

Fixed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    I've been waiting for this one to pop up. I think the graphics and sound are definitely first generation quality at best and essentially looks like a "bigger" 8-bit game. The weird Greek disembodied heads and popcorn-looking gunfire really give it an odd, sort of disjointed look to the style as it is. Even then, it's a fun game. It's strictly an old fashioned vertical shooter, and I really enjoy how familiar it feels -- sort of like a hybrid of Xevious and Truxton.

I never had any hit-box issues with Master of Weapon, and I find the game is a good bit on the easy side where I never feel too threatened anyway. I think that's both good and bad, because while it lacks challenge it's fun to just fly around and blow stuff up without having to worry about chains, level memorization, etc. I'm not familiar with the arcade game, but while that one image at KLOV show it to be an ugly looking port, it doesn't bother me because it's just fun to play (and probably because I never got the chance to play the original). Can't say I really disagree with any of the points or score too much other than that it is an enjoyable game, for some people anyway.
    You're nuts.

When I wrote this review, I was in rage for how horrible the game is. You have to say that the graphics were horrible and games like Super Thunder Blade looked better than Master of Weapon. The sound effects, my god the game shows one of the worse sound effects ever on the Genesis.

Uri Cohen

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alianger
    Well, that's one harsch review (with a few spelling errors).
    Oh, the beautiful irony!

I shall not be desperately trying to add this game to my collection. Thanks for the warning!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Quote Originally Posted by Fighter17
    You're nuts.

When I wrote this review, I was in rage for how horrible the game is. You have to say that the graphics were horrible and games like Super Thunder Blade looked better than Master of Weapon. The sound effects, my god the game shows one of the worse sound effects ever on the Genesis.
    You can't read. What part of "I think the graphics and sound are definitely first generation quality at best" disagrees with that? The only thing I can disagree with in the review is your gripes about the hit box and that the game isn't enjoyable. I even said so much as I can't disagree with your score, too.

Anyway... The Super Thunder Blade comparison is an odd one, and, yes, I'd gladly take Master of Weapon over it in that instance. I can't tolerate choppy framerates, spotty shooter mechanics, and poor wanna-be clunky 3-D graphics anymore. Master of Weapon offers solid control and gameplay, making it a much more enjoyable and longlasting game for me. Realize this is like arguing if it's better to dine on vomit or horse manure. :P

So how about reconsidering the score, and give it a 3 instead o a 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    You can't read. What part of "I think the graphics and sound are definitely first generation quality at best" disagrees with that? The only thing I can disagree with in the review is your gripes about the hit box and that the game isn't enjoyable. I even said so much as I can't disagree with your score, too.

Anyway... The Super Thunder Blade comparison is an odd one, and, yes, I'd gladly take Master of Weapon over it in that instance. I can't tolerate choppy framerates, spotty shooter mechanics, and poor wanna-be clunky 3-D graphics anymore. Master of Weapon offers solid control and gameplay, making it a much more enjoyable and longlasting game for me. Realize this is like arguing if it's better to dine on vomit or horse manure. :P
    I don't think it's first generation quality at best. It's more like poor and rushed programming to me. The fun factor in Master of Weapon is just horrible. If you are able to play Master of Weapon, then you should be able to play XDR.

Master of Weapon MD is innocent.
    Master of Weapon Arcade is to blame.

yeah I just looked for the oldest viable thread I could bump
    rep me

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

I don't know, I have a strange attraction to this game still, even if it's not great. I'm a fan of Taito, but the difficulty and conditions to meet the true last boss are a bit insane.

Thread Information