Quantcast

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unsolved mysteries of the 32X

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Default Unsolved mysteries of the 32X

I'm rather fond of the 32X but, given its reputation as an unloved system with a library full of rush jobs, it's not surprising that the games haven't been exhaustively documented. Here are a couple questions about 32X games that, as far as I'm aware, aren't answered anywhere on the Internet:

1) In Cosmic Carnage, what are the exact conditions necessary to get the "best" ending when beating the game?

2) In Metal Head, what do the medals you receive at the end signify? I believe there are up to six; I've gotten five, with room left over for the sixth.

Can anyone answer these? And: does anyone have any (non-wiseass) questions of their own?

BTW I can think of a couple more, though I don't know if these have been answered elsewhere:

Why does Knuckles Chaotix fail on certain systems, and work on others?

In Blackthorne, is there any negative consequence to killing the prisoners?

As far as "Cosmic Carnage" goes, I'm guessing that you have to complete the game in a half-hour or less, as I've gotten both good and bad endings playing through it in an average of that time.

"Chaotix"? Maybe it just has much more MEGA POWER than certain 32X's can handle. Poor programming and/or the flawed hardware of the 32X is my guess.

"Blackthorne"? Dunno, but I've enjoyed killing them anyways. Nothing like walking past them, stretching your arm back and blowing them away.......feels good man.

I was wondering about the Carnage question for awhile now. I have yet to get the good ending, but I always seem to lose a match, so I figure if you had zero losses, perhaps then you would get the good ending...?

As for Knuckles not playing on some, I think it is the 32x itself. In my lifetime, I've had 3 or 4 32xs. The first 32x I bought, I recall having constant problems with it. I eventually had to send it to Sega to get it fixed. Another 32x I had was pretty shoddy and I think I threw it away. The 32x I have now seems to do alright (fingers crossed).

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Now see, regarding Knuckles I think it's the size of the PCB, and the fact that there are different cart slots on the 32X revisions. The 32X cart slot with the black plastic around it seems to be more prone to causing problems with games unless the PCB on the cart is thick enough to get a good contact. Just my 2c.

I've also been told that the ribbons on it can give out, but I've never seen an issue where that was my problem. I've got like 5 or 6 32Xs (that really need to be cleared out TBH, but don't think I would feel right selling one to somebody that's a bit glitchy) and I've tried to document the differences in them regarding model number, hardware revisions, games that work on them, etc. The problem is there never seems to be any consistency with the effects each model generates (No surprise from Sega, HA!).
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Wildside Expert

Certain 32x/Genesis/Sega CD setups are more finicky with some games than with others...I had a hell of a time getting Chaotix working on my Genesis 2/Sega CD2/32X setup a while back...damn game froze at the title screen every time. I think it didn't like the Sega CD 2. Well in recent years I've been sticking to using my CDX/32X combo and have never had a problem with it.

And yes most 32X systems do need to have the ribbon cables removed and cleaned at some point...they get dirt and oxidation and shit all over them and cause nasty game playback problems...take them out, scrub them good with rubbing alcohol. Also clean the games before inserting them.

There can be stability issues with the 32x on certain models of Genesis/MD if there's no Sega CD installed or no expansion port terminator module installed (a dummy MCD plug, more or less).
    There are cases of the very same 32x and cart (namely Chaotix) work fine with 1 Genesis, but not another.

Bad capacitors on the MD end can also cause major problems with MCD and/or 32x even if Genesis games play fine.
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Wildside Expert

I've never had much luck getting 32X working on a Genesis 1 system, sure it works but the sound is usually pretty bad, or games freeze. I say stick with 32x/CDX or at least a late model Genesis 2/32X.

Still wondering!

King of the Ring WCPO Agent ThugsRook's Avatar

wtf does Space Harrier 32x have an add flashing in the middle of the screen while playing!

(more levels to come soon) oh yea, when? 2020?

Nameless One

SPACE HARRIER

Technically it says "will be available soon", and comes from the arcade version since the port was oddly accurate (right down to including a diagnostic/test menu).

Of course, it IS true, if you beat the level -- there will be more levels to play after it. Remember, this screen comes after dying, and thus probably serves to say, "yo dude your game isn't over yet actually"

BLACKTHORNE

I believe that there are prisoners which, if alive when you talk to them, are able to give you special items. I don't think they're ever required to actually beat the game, though, and consist mainly of health potions. But the game's beatable even if they die, or at least the early levels are.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Someone call Robert Stack.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Why does Knuckles Chaotix fail on certain systems, and work on others?
    From what I understand, it used different 'timings' for things, compared to other 32x games (most of which used a different specific one).

I'm vague, because it's been over 3-4 years since I've had this explained to me. Sorry.

Here's a new one: in Blackthorne, is there any significance to the fact that Kyle turns red after hitting the floor in the "We're lost!" Easter Egg room with the Lost Vikings? Is it purely cosmetic, or does the fact that he stays red until dying affect gameplay in some way? (Is there another hidden thing to be found?)

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Someone call Robert Stack.

Thread Information