Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolfchild

Meh Wolfchild

How do you take an above average CD title and make it bland? Take away the only special things the CD format added! That’s precisely what JVC did with Wolfchild, which lost its cut scenes and CD soundtrack during its transition to cartridge. Left to fend for itself on the strength of only its gameplay and visuals, this wolf is looking pretty dire indeed… Read our full review for more details.
    Last edited by Melf; 02-13-2012 at 07:58 PM.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Wolfchild is not a mediocre game at all. I always thought it was pretty fun. It's one of my favorite Sega CD games. The music in the genesis version is pretty good, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

When I was desperate for traditional games on the Sega CD I picked up Wolfchild. I wanted the game to be good or even great, I wanted to find anything to make me like it. The game just left me bored and disappointed. It isn't a bad game, and it is playable, but it is fairly unremarkable and certainly doesn't take advantage of the Sega CD. I guess the cutscenes were well animated, but that is about it.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    Wolfchild is not a mediocre game at all. I always thought it was pretty fun. It's one of my favorite Sega CD games. The music in the genesis version is pretty good, too.
    6 (Genesis) and 7 (Sega CD) isn't mediocre... not unless there's been a change in the rating system and we've gone the Game Informer route
    Last edited by The Coop; 02-13-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    When I was desperate for traditional games on the Sega CD I picked up Wolfchild. I wanted the game to be good or even great, I wanted to find anything to make me like it. The game just left me bored and disappointed. It isn't a bad game, and it is playable, but it is fairly unremarkable and certainly doesn't take advantage of the Sega CD. I guess the cutscenes were well animated, but that is about it.
    The SNES version, while running in lower resolution and using black borders, shows a good use of its specific hardware features... More layers of parallax, some good sprite scaling effects... Extra details/effects like rain in the jungle level...

The Genesis version has good music IMO. The lead part is generic and average but the drums are damn good for the most part.
    However, the Sega CD version is a better game considering all things, like The Coop said (by the way, it was a very good review; I think you pointed the differences between the two versions very well, thanks.).
    What makes me a bit said is the poor use of color in the foreground. The colors look very pale (washed out) and I miss the strong contrast that is a Genesis/Mega Drive's VDP tradition. The dithering is overused and even trough composite I can see those ugly signs...

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    6 (Genesis) and 7 (Sega CD) isn't mediocre... not unless there's been a change in the rating system and we've gone the Game Informer route
    He was quoting Melf's initial post in this thread.

I like this game pretty well, it's one of those games that seems very typical in play and graphical style but when one goes looking for all the other games of its type that should be out there isn't really matched by anything else. The jungle in particular is cool; from what agostinho says I'll have to look into the SNES version. All that can really be said against it is the music's bland to lame and the story sucks.

Fair rating, good review. But Coop's probably tired of hearing that.

Megadrive Maniac Outrunner Crackdown's Avatar

Personally I love the CD version, not played it on cart.
    To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Good review. IMHO, Genesis > CD. Reason? I dislike some of the music on the Mega CD version and the level layouts are vastly superior on the cartridge version.

Road Rasher

with that intro I was expecting a 1 so a 6 blew my mind and this games music is distinctive because it is composed by matt furniss and I know what a matt furniss soundtrack sounds like

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Good review. IMHO, Genesis > CD. Reason? I dislike some of the music on the Mega CD version and the level layouts are vastly superior on the cartridge version.
    Wait, so the actual game itself is different, and not just lac

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    Wait, so the actual game itself is different, and not just lac
    As I said in the review, the game itself is basically the same. The levels are trimmed down and altered a bit in the cart version, but not drastically so. You'll still run into areas that are the same (or very similar) between versions, and there are two levels missing in the Genesis version. It's not like playing a different game.

Also, the only real gameplay change was the slower rate of throwing energy balls (the Genesis version allows just one at a time), which makes the cart version more tedious with enemies that take more than one hit.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan89 View Post
    with that intro I was expecting a 1 so a 6 blew my mind and this games music is distinctive because it is composed by matt furniss and I know what a matt furniss soundtrack sounds like
    ditto. Melf's intro made me read the review from a totally different perspective than I would have normally read it. A 6 is pretty fair actually.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    ditto. Melf's intro made me read the review from a totally different perspective than I would have normally read it. A 6 is pretty fair actually.

I said I was surprised at a 6 for this review because the headline on the site lead me to believe that this was crap

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

And I agreed with that.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    The jungle in particular is cool; from what agostinho says I'll have to look into the SNES version.
    The SNES version has some very cool graphical effects...
    In terms of graphics:
    SNES>>>Genesis>Sega CD>>Amiga

The SNES version also uses 4 action buttons, what gives you an extra option to alternate between the weapons, something that is not avaible in any other version. It's more like a simplified inventory system but it's surely better and expands the game play.
    The Sega CD and Genesis versions give you an option for rapid fire and to select the number of lives for each continue; such options are not avaible in teh SNES version. The Sega CD one also has an advantage over the others, like The Coop said, 'cause you can fire repeatedly and very fast (the SNES version also allows multiple fire with the Wolf's special weapons but it's not so fast), which makes the gameplay more pleasant.
    It's interesting to note that the SNES version has loading times on par with the Sega CD and has some "exclusive" in game loadings! Some animation detail missing here and there compared to the Sega CD/Genesis version (like those circle razors).

Actually, the cart version was not shortened; it's just almost identical to the original Amiga version. The SNES version also has the same levels, with an extra touch here and there. The Sega CD version was expanded over the original; that's how I see it.

Also, about the soundtrack: Sega CD and SNES versions are faithful to the original Amiga compositions. The Genesis version is different.

Well, IMO the SNES and Sega CD versions are the ones to buy.
    Last edited by Barone; 02-15-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Thread Information