Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IŽll play Wii today!

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    Supply on this system is such a joke it's ridiculous. After hearing word that Gamestop would have 8 for sale today, I went there at 5 AM and there was a line of 12 people.
    It's the 360 all over again, isn't it. I can't wait for the European launch.

Units are being restocked regularly. It shouldn't be very difficult to find one.

Quote Originally Posted by InternalPrimate
    Units are being restocked regularly.
    No they certainly are not! I call every day and sometimes multiple times a day to many different stores and it's always the same answer: No Wiis and not sure when more will arrive. Like Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo released their system before they were ready.

^^^ There are plenty in my area, San Diego. Major 2nd shipments were made today, although it is Black Friday, so they might go fast. Maybe it's different here, but there are plenty available.

Also, I think it's a little unfair to compare Nintendo's release to Sony and Microsofts. They did release a lot more systems than both other console makers, I'd argue that the demand just exceeded all expectations.

Buy one and send it to me, and I promise not to pay you back!

These stocking issues could just as easily be the fault of the retailers themselves who either failed to place their orders early enough or underestimated demand.

So I played Wii last night. Wii Sports is pretty righteous.. unfortunately at the time I was feeling extremely sleep deprived and the room I was playing in was excessively cramped (which made it difficult to find a sweet spot for prime control), but overall, I'm very excited about the Wii. The remote is very comfortable to hold, and navigating through the Wii Sports interface feels as natural as can be once you get your cursor on screen.

Baseball was my favourite of the Wii Sports line-up. Batting is very enjoyable, as you have a feeling of tremendous control over the bat.

There is a certain degree of restraint you need to exercise. For instance, to get the most out of bowling, you need to pace yourself - I was stupidly hoping that I could rush my Mii through the motions to deliver a shocking bowl, but it's more successful to follow relatively closely the on-screen movements.

The lack of resistance will be the hardest thing to adjust to with the Wii control, methinks. That, and the inevitable strain the control is putting on your wrist. Admittedly I wasn't being too careful of my movements last night, and after playing for about an hour, my wrist was a little sore from swinging the controller around - moving from the elbow is likely a better choice. Oh yeah, that reminds me.. Wii Sports is festooned with reminders that breaks should be taken between games.

I played a bit of Madden as well. Never been a fan, and while this experience didn't turn me, it certainly comes as more natural to hut the ball with a flip of the controller and throw it with a downward swing. Kicking is glitchy, though - every once in awhile the game fails to detect your movements. I expect that's nothing more than launch game sloppiness, but it's one reason to hold off until next year's Wii Madden if for whatever reason you need your fix.

Overall, the Wii has impressed me. I'm not blown away by what I've played so far, but I'm very excited to try it again with some killer games.

I was shocked by Wii Sports. I kind of figured it would be a throw-away title, but so far it's become my second favorite. Baseball is my favorite of the bunch. There's a lot of depth behind some of the pitching mechanics. Playing the game with my friends and family has been great.

And I am, of course, addicted to the virtual console.

-I really hate sounding like a Nintendo fanboy, because I have NEVER been one, but I really enjoy the experience they've put together.
    Last edited by InternalPrimate; 11-25-2006 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum666
    well its not just for the wii the PC has the game and a ps2 version is coming soon
    Different game.

Quote Originally Posted by InternalPrimate
    I was shocked by Wii Sports. I kind of figured it would be a throw-away title, but so far it's become my second favorite. Baseball is my favorite of the bunch. There's a lot of depth behind some of the pitching mechanics. Playing the game with my friends and family has been great.

And I am, of course, addicted to the virtual console.

-I really hate sounding like a Nintendo fanboy, because I have NEVER been one, but I really enjoy the experience they've put together.
    Of course you are. It's shiny and new and it doesn't have a Sony label attached. In six months you won't have the feeling, and nothing will bring it back. The genres suited to the Wii will thrive whereas games better controlled by normal controlling methods will appear on X360/PS3.

You have an Snes banner, man, you are already eating the Nintendo cupcake

Today was a Wii-owning friend's birthday, so I gave him Red Steel. I had the chance to play it tonight, and it was an interesting experience.. it's a game completely made/broken by its control. Having your aiming reticule detached from the center of your view is very different. Aiming took me a lot of getting used to, especially in deathmatch.. wandering around unoccopied corridors, there's a sense of calm and smooth control, but as soon as a threat appears, keeping a sane view of the action became a serious challenge, especially because I insisted on lobbing grenades (or rather, attempting to).

I probably should have bought him Excite Truck instead, but I expect/hope Red Steel to be a grower. FPSs will surely be tightened up with the next wave of Wii software.

I'll admit it, I grew up with both a Genesis and an Snes. I loved (and still love) both. This has been said to death, but, Genesis was my choice for shooters, platformers, sports games, and arcade games. Snes was my choice for rpg's and fighting games (the controller might not be better suited for the genre, but the conversions were mostly-- in my opinion-- better).

I've never really seen the point in taking sides in "console" wars. Each system always offers it's own benefits and there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to put another down simply because you don't own it.

Sega had Phantasy Star and Lunar
    Nintendo had Final Fantasy

Sega had Sonic and Gunstar Heroes
    Nintendo had Mario and Metroid

Sega had the best versions of Mortal Kombat
    Nintendo had the best versions of Street Fighter

....I could go on and on, but the fact remains that both consoles were amazing. And I'm happy with both as my favorite systems

EDIT: There. New banner to go along with the Snes one.
    Last edited by InternalPrimate; 11-26-2006 at 01:32 PM.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I got mine this morning. Went to Best Buy at 6 AM and waited in line for 4 hours. They had no controllers.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

The supply issue is not nearly as bad as with the PS3.
    who is clearly trying to replicate Nintendo's price-fixing practices of the mid 80s (the Chip shortage that led to under-supply of Zelda II, the illegal contracting, ect.)

I mean honestly.
    Prior to the PS3 launch there were about maybe 7 people lined up in front of Target on the eve of the launch. They admitted to having not enough units to accommodate even those 7.
    The Wii launch on the following sunday (which I attended at 4AM) had 33 units to hand out.

I'm loving the Wii so far.
    Plenty of Bang for my $$ so far, and with stuff like Monkey Ball and the Trauma-Center Wii-make, there are already multiple great titles to buy.

Hooligans of the Night...Eat, Game, and be Merry
    The Game Collection

To be honest I have a much easier time finding the PS3 in stores than I do Wiis. And that makes me sad.

Thread Information