Quantcast

Thread: Help making multi-game selection menu for homebrew ROM

Outrunner

Default Help making multi-game selection menu for homebrew ROM

My technical and programming expertise is limited to say the very least. Chances are y'all have forgotten more than I will about this particular subject.

What I'm trying to do is create a ROM image to be used on actual hardware that contains several seprate game programs. I guess for the sake of simplicity I'll start with around 4 different low memory size games, then possibly start changing things up to fill an entire 32m or 64m cart.

So basically I'm completely lost. I've tried dumping some commercial pirates I own that don't use the reset style selection and actually have a menu (along with complying with TMSS so it works in all systems) then hex editing in some stuff, and nothing seems to work. Is there a somewhat easy way to go about this? I don't want any fancy menu, just a plain text menu and press a button to choose the game.

Hopefully if I can get this down maybe I could use this in conjunction with some other projects to use as fundraisers for sites that are in need of support.

Any help is appreciated. Or, if you'd be nice enough to just do it for me that would be great too You'd receive full credit and a nice shine on your goodguy badge knowing you helped fellow gamers out.

-thanks guys

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Without bank switching hardware, your idea won't work. Well, unless you have the source code to 'roms' and re-assemble everything into a single project. Or you manually hack *every* address mode (absolute, indirect, everything.. except ram). If you know enough to code the menu, shouldn't this be obvious? I mean, you have to know about how addressing works.

Wildside Expert

Depending on the license you could strip out everything in the EverDrive-MD OS but the menu system and add your own links to the binaries you want to launch:
    http://krikzz.com/pub/support/index....r=everdrive-md

Perhaps you could use a FAT16 filesystem image instead of flash memory. Dunno how hard it would be to rewrite those hooks.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    If you know enough to code the menu, shouldn't this be obvious? I mean, you have to know about how addressing works.
    As I mentioned in my first post, I never said I knew how to code the menu. I've got a rudimentary idea of how older pirates used the power on/off to bank switch and a vague idea of how some of the more basic pirates with a selection menu works.

Basically I was hoping to take an existing ROM dump of a multi-game pirate and just exchange some of the titles out for other titles of the same size. For instance take some of the basic ones that are a 16m cart with 4 different 4m titles included, just find a way to successfully swap out game for game (maybe just through hex editing) then once the games load fine alter the menu to reflect the proper game names.

Master of Shinobi

year and a half late but I find this interesting.

http://krikzz.com/pub/support/index....dmd-v3%2Ftools

this tool will create a ROM with menu. Note that ever game takes 512kb chucks, IE a 128kb game takes one (512kb) and a 768kb game takes two chunks, ie 1024kb. The menu itself takes 512kb.

a command like multirom.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 will ease the process (limited to 9 though, if you want, like me, to do a 13-in-1 of some of the best 512kb games, you'll have to do it manually.

Attachment 9007

It is limited to a 56 MEGA POWER rom in Everdrive 3. Fusion won't take it (I think it's hardcoded to load up to 40 meg ?) but hacked Gens versions will. Don't forget 32 MEGA is the cart limit the console can read, beyond that is done via bankswitching, which I guess must complicate things if you want to create a real cart.

Thread Information