Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nothing after producted by or under licence by sega

Road Rasher

Default Nothing after producted by or under licence by sega

Edit: Got another game sonic and knuckles also did not work so far I have tried cleaning the cartridge pins
    cleaning the cartridge slot with the credit card and microfiber cloth and toothbrush
    I have also posted some pictures of the board at
    http://postimage.org/gallery/avif9ju/f82e2871/
    Here is the original post:
    I just got out my sega genesis model 2 and put in mortal combat and it said the tmss then nothing happened I tried cleaning the cartridge pins with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip and taking both the genesis and the mortal combat cartridge apart and cleaning but it still did not work it just displays the produced by or under license by sega. It worked a year a go.
    Last edited by sega16; 05-13-2012 at 06:51 PM.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

If the MK cart is clean and the Genesis plays other games, then the cart is most likely damaged in some way. I have an Ecco 2: The Tides of Time cart and a Game Genie which do the same thing. TMSS screen and nothing afterwords.

Thankfully, MK is a super common game.

Road Rasher

No, I do not have another cart I sold them as I never realy used my genesis in the late 90s when I sold them but now I wish I didn't do that.

Try holding the cartridge backwards/forwards when you turn the unit on to see if that makes it load. If so I'd suspect worn slot pins or a still dirty cartridge. If not, you'll need to source another game to narrow down the problem.

Road Rasher

Ok got another game sonic and knuckles and I am still having the same problem I hope the upstairs heat did not kill my system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

You'd need a lot more heat than a stuffy upstairs room to kill a console. The cart slot is probably just really dirty. There's been tons of threads on the subject of cleaning. The easiest solution is to use rubbing/isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush. You may want to flip the console upside down so crap falls out of the slot.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by sega16 View Post
    I just got out my sega genesis model 2 and put in mortal combat and it said the tmss then nothing happened I tried clean the cartridge pins with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip and taking both the genesis and the mortal combat cartridge apart and cleaning but it still did not work it just displays the produced by or under license by sega. It worked a year a go.
    ASIC rot will do that. Open your console and check.

Road Rasher

I tried cleaning it with a toothbrush and I already had it open and after analyzing all the pictures I don't think it is it but I will post them in case somebody knows something I don't I have uploaded the pictures here
    Edit: to see full res image click on the thumbnail and then click on the bigger image to see the full resolution image.
    If someone would like a close up of a part of the board just ask and I will do it.
    I really do hope I can get my system to work because when a genesis breaks there is one less in the world.
    Last edited by sega16; 05-13-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Did you try turning the unit on with the cartridge pushed forward or backward? The goal is to rule out loose cartridge contacts.

Road Rasher

Yes and it did not work.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlecRob View Post
    Keep blowing into the cart until it works.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by sega16 View Post
    I tried cleaning it with a toothbrush and I already had it open and after analyzing all the pictures I don't think it is it but I will post them in case somebody knows something I don't I have uploaded the pictures here
    Check the strange solder spot to the left of the letters 'CN3'. If that isn't the problem:

1.) Start up the system with a bare game PCB inserted.

2.) Check the address and data pins on the ROM for voltages below one volt with a multimeter.

3.) Report your results.

Road Rasher

By now after countless attemps to get it to work including re-soldering the spot by cn3 I just ended up on buying a "new" (well it was actually used) sega genesis I got a good deal on it anyways.

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Just because you got another Genesis doesn't mean you should give up on this problematic one. And I think I see something between pins 158 and 159 of the Sega 315-5660-02. It looks like the two pins are shorted together. Could you take a better shot of the chip so I can confirm if the pins really are shorted together?
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

What hookup were you using? My Model 2 Genesis used to do this a lot and I thought it was dying. Later I got a Composite cable and the problem went away. Here the RF adapter was going bad and was screwing stuff up.

Thread Information