Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nothing after producted by or under licence by sega

Are you in the US? If so would you be willing to sell me the broken system cheap?
    Retrogamer343 - Come find me on Xbox live. COD forever!!!

Road Rasher

Yes I am in the US however there may still be hope for it so I am not as of now interested in selling.

No problem. I already have at least 50 genesis systems anyway. Just thought it would be a fun project to fix. I figured worst case I would just use it as parts. It's amazing but out of all the systems I have been through maybe 1 or 2 didn't work. I think I just used them for parts instead of trying to fix them though.
    Retrogamer343 - Come find me on Xbox live. COD forever!!!

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

My Model 1 did the same thing shortly after I got a Retro HD RGB cable for it, a little over a year ago. I've cleaned the cartridge slot to death, made sure all of the pins were nicely aligned and checked the bottom of the motherboard for loose solder joints. I think that it might a RAM chip that went out. I just got another RGB cable last week and I'm having to use it with my Model 2 Genesis. I don't like distorted sound that the model 2 has.

*Edit*

No sooner did I post this, that I took another look at the cartridge slot. This pin looked like it was pushed back a little, so I took a really small precision screw driver and tried to push the pin ever so slightly forward. That didn't work out (I think that the pin was already broken) because the pin popped straight up. I went to push it back and it fell off.

Anyone know a good source for a replacement cartridge slot?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gamevet; 04-18-2021 at 02:55 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Hi, I have recently acquired a MD2 VA1.8 PAL unit in very poor condition with no leads, the metal shield has a lot of rust, the motherboard underneath seems fine but I'm getting the same problem as the thread starter: black screen after license text.

To power on the unit I'm using a generic PSU 9V 1A and a self made composite cable all connected to a crt monitor.

The cartdriges I have used to test the unit work fine with my MD1, I've cleaned the cart slot and i'm starting to think the issue could be elsewhere, maybe IC4 or IC5...

Is there any kind of test I could try to better identify the fault?

I will post some pictures of the board later
    Last edited by Shaytan; 05-11-2021 at 04:00 PM.

You can check the solder joints to the cart port on the underside of the board, if you think that the cart slot has good contacts. If those look good, I’d check the tracers from the cart slot to the I/O that they connect to. Make sure there’s no breaks or bumps from corrosion.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    You can check the solder joints to the cart port on the underside of the board, if you think that the cart slot has good contacts. If those look good, I’d check the tracers from the cart slot to the I/O that they connect to. Make sure there’s no breaks or bumps from corrosion.
    Thank you for the answer, my plan is to reflow the solder joint under the cartdrige slot over the weekend and see if it makes a difference.

I have already checked for continuity over the available vias and everything seems to bo connect, but you never know...

Here are some pictures as promised, the light is not very good but maybe someone can spot something

IMG-20210511-215426-2.jpg

IMG-20210511-215511-1.jpg

The pics are really too small to see anything. I did notice a couple of grey looking solder joints, that could probably use a reflow, but that's about it.

hmmm....how about now?

What's up with that funky looking capacitor laying on its side? That looks like somebody did some work on the console, especially with that big blob of solder underneath it.

I think that's factory, i've seen it in other user's pictures

I have still to reflow the cartdrige slot, i've spent the entire sunday evening recreating the video amplifier for a front loader NES with a busted RF modulator

Thread Information