Quantcast

Thread: Zool: Ninja of the Nth Dimension

Ninja Zool: Ninja of the Nth Dimension

The Amiga was the source of a great number of excellent titles that were ported to the Genesis. Gremlin Graphiics’ Zool; Ninja of the Nth Dimension was a game that stealthily made its way to Sega’s console during the mascot platformer craze of the early ’90s. It was successful enough to warrant a sequel, but is it really that good? Read the full review and see!

I found the game a little too fast and awkward for its own good to be honest,just ends up annoying me.I think i prefer the SMS version for playability.

Hero of Algol

Wonderful review... I didn't know about the NTSC localization problem in this game but I always felt it somewhat "wrong" in terms of speed. Well, really need to modify my console...

Thanks, Phantar! Very pleasant text.

Most Amiga platformers are pretty lame TBH, and this one is no exception.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Curryman123 View Post
    Most of my posts are pretty lame TBH, and this one is no exception.
    FTFY.

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Clear review of a game better than its reputation. I think it's knocked a bit excessively due to its perceived Sonic imitation, a perception I don't altogether share, as well as by the fact most gamers would have played it unoptimised and that probably without knowing it. The grainy colours exacerbate the flicker and speed problems but all in all I don't think it so difficult as the reviewer made out. Anyway it's average at least, I'd give it a 4 NTSC and a 5 PAL, and more to the point the reviewer's 7 agrees with the bulk of his review (presuming that's for the optimised, original version) despite that ending a warm review with the word 'torturous' may raise some eyes. At this date Zool might be something a little more for Amiga fans or Genesis completists as up against everything else the game world has to offer I don't think it particularly stands out.
    Btw the word 'line' is missing from the final sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by agostinhobaroners View Post
    FTFY.
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

Not an ant? How'd the reviewer miss the obvious play on words in the game's title?
    Also, after reading the review, you'd expect a 5/10 (which would've been a more fair score for this game). Not a 7.
    Disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Olls View Post
    Not an ant? How'd the reviewer miss the obvious play on words in the game's title?.
    Because there isn't one, at least not by intention?

On the game's release, many reviewers referred to Zool as an ant. Gremlin later issued a press release claiming to be from the leader of a body representing ants, complaining about the misrepresentation of their hard-working and gentle species.
    Also, I believe the PAL Version definitely deserves a 7. Owners of the poorly optimized NTSC-Port however definitely may substract a point or two from that Score. I own the PAL One.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

"nth Dimension" reads like "Ant's Dimension", I think that's what Olls was referring to.

- Interesting about the PAL vs NTSC differences. I don't think I ever tried the game in 50Hz.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    "nth Dimension" reads like "Ant's Dimension", I think that's what Olls was referring to.
    That reading might be tempting for a non-native English speaker, since most European languages read "th" as a "t" sound, but I don't think it would ever occur to a native speaker. It's just too much of a stretch.

(It reminds me of when I pointed out to a friend of mine from India that Gandhi's name is just one vowel sound away from an offensive word in Hindi. He thought about it for a moment and said, "Yeah, I guess that's true, but we would never think of it that way" -- not because he was too reverential, but because the series of sounds just wasn't punny.)

Yup...tried this game again today, and it's not very much fun.

The character moves too fast, which leads to cheap deaths. The locations and enemies are boring.

Overall, mediocre game this one.

Once one gets used to the ludicrous speed this game moves to, it can deliver a few hours of fun. Similar in lots of concepts but vastly inferior to James Pond 2, this is pure Amiga platforming goodness with all its strengths and weaknesses, including some infamous product placement.

Thread Information