Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SNES music thread

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

The last two aren't on the same level as the others, BTW, but they have sentimental value for me.

Another amazing one is the Actraiser soundtrack, e.g.:

Last edited by goldenband; 07-25-2012 at 01:14 AM.

dreaming of an absolution Nameless One mcurkman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Reploid Factory (Intro Stage) from MegaMan X2:

You can do better than that!

Crystal Snail (Energen Crystal):

Overdrive Ostrich (Desert Base):

X-Hunter Stage 2:

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

If it's not recorded off original hardware, I don't post it. It's that simple.

I'll be honest, though, I think MegaMan X2 has a pretty lousy soundtrack with only a few good songs here and there.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Some of my favorites:

Most of these are the kind of tunes that I feel highlight the SNES's strengths. While I love the Genesis I admit that Strings, Orchestral, Ambient Sounds, etc. are where the SNES tends to shine. So if a song tends have more of those sounds in it, it's going to sound better on the SNES most of the time.

I'd love to see someone attempt to do some Genesis covers of some of the Link to the Past tunes.

Last edited by JFLY; 07-25-2012 at 03:18 AM.

Ocean's music is the best by about a mile

Keith Tinman

Dean Evans

Bugger, I was just coming in here to post "Diving". My favourite SNES track by a long distance. I love that deep, fretless-style bass, especially in the introduction. A very atmospheric, prog-rock esque track. I love it so much, I had a shot at covering the bassline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByVqa8S8gHk - couldn't get as much wobble as there is in the original...

So that this isn't just "PIMP MY VID", here's my favourite from Alien 3:

Difficult to pick between this and Matt Furniss's MD Alien 3 soundtrack.

Is this like one of those "how long can you last listening to justin bieber" type threads?

Sometimes I think I'm the only one in the world who listens to Capcom's SNES music and can't stop thinking how awful the sound quality is, at least they got better with time though (the quality of Mega Man and Bass is very good).

It kinda' sounds like they were trying to do FM music on the SNES' soundchip, and failing miserably.

Were they working primarily with FM style sound chips in the arcade at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Thenewguy View Post
    Sometimes I think I'm the only one in the world who listens to Capcom's SNES music and can't stop thinking how awful the sound quality is, at least they got better with time though (the quality of Mega Man and Bass is very good).
    I disagree, I think the quality started just barely ok and then kept going down, then did a 180 with Mega Man and Bass (which sounds really good).

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Capcom and Konami both tried to use samples of FM instruments on the SNES, it always just made the audio sound inferior to me and made me wonder what the heck SNES fans are hearing.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gio View Post
    Christuserloeser I think the point of posting the game music is to listen to them without the sounds of the game.
    I figured as much, but F-Zero works best as the whole package. Plus its recorded from real hardware which is a nice bonus.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thenewguy View Post

It kinda' sounds like they were trying to do FM music on the SNES' soundchip, and failing miserably.

Were they working primarily with FM style sound chips in the arcade at the time?
    I always thought all three X series games would have benefited greatly from being on the Genesis. I listen to the OSTs from those games and they were begging to be in real FM. There's also a disturbing lack of parallax in all the MM games on the SNES, which the Genesis could have easily fixed. Of course whether or not Capcom would have put in the effort the games needed if they were made for the Genesis, we'll never know. I'd put my money on no.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

You still have that shit pirate copy of Megaman X3 for the genesis.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    I disagree, I think the quality started just barely ok and then kept going down, then did a 180 with Mega Man and Bass (which sounds really good).
    Demon's Crest also has pretty respectable sound quality IMO.

When I play the Mega Man X games its always the first one which most stands out for that old-mobile-phone-accidentally-dropped-in-the-bath sound, the sequels tone down the mobile phone, and have slightly clearer leads.

Also Final Fight 3's sound isn't as bad as Final Fight 2's

Thread Information