Quantcast

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wolfenstein 3D & Doom home console ports.

Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar

I've played just about every port of Doom out there, including the japanese Saturn port, and the Jaguar Port still remains the most impressive. Yes, I know, the PSX port is more accurate, and cut levels and missing music and yadda yadda yadda. It still impresses the shit out of me because of how close it looks and feels to the PC game. Also, it feels comparatively more impressive for the hardware than Doom on the PSX feels.

Factor in the multiplayer support and Doom on the Jaguar is all around the most impressive port. It's probably the biggest standout game on the jaguar IMO.
    A retarded Sonic.

Raging in the Streets

Does Doom Jaguar have split screen support?

For some reason, when I was younger I always wanted a Doom game with 4-player split screen but one never happened.

Master of Shinobi NostalgicMachine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post

For some reason, when I was younger I always wanted a Doom game with 4-player split screen but one never happened.
    This would kick ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    There is nothing wrong with liking more than one system. What's gotten lost in this video game phenomenon is simply the love for playing games. Who cares if a game is on the NES, SNES or Genesis? Do you like the game?

That's all that really matters at the end of the day.

Love, Peace and Snack Bar Road Rasher VGTM's Avatar

Doom: Jaguar
    Wolfenstein: 3DO
    Quake: ... just play the PC version.
    WARNING: The post above may or may not be utter nonsense, but it's best to assume that it is.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    No. To play the multiplayer modes in the Atari Jaguar and Sony PlayStation ports of Doom (this also includes Final Doom on the PS1), the players need to have a video game system, a copy of the game, a controller, a TV, and a console link cable (the JagLink and PlayStation Link Cable respectively).
    Last edited by Josh; 02-25-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Road Rasher

Does Wolfenstein 3D on the SNES use any enhancement chips such as the Super FX chip or the Super FX 2 chip?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Does Wolfenstein 3D on the SNES use any enhancement chips such as the Super FX chip or the Super FX 2 chip?
    Not any SuperFX stuff, but it might use a DSP chip like Mario Kart and most other mode 7 games. I haven no idea off hand, though, just a guess in the dark.
    A retarded Sonic.

It's not on any list of enhancement chip games as far as I can see, so it might not use any.

If it didn't use any DSP, then that's even more impressive, actually.
    A retarded Sonic.

Raging in the Streets mrbigreddog's Avatar

I've owned and played every DOOM console port. Did my own little comparison. - Agreed that PS1 is the best. N64 is quite the gem, it's obviously a completely different game, but would love to see a Virtual Console version of Doom64 on my WiiU.

And as much as I LOVE my 3DO... Doom on 3DO was a f*#king JOKE! Can you imagine back in the day buying that game at full price??

As far as modern ports go...

GBA was damn impressive!

I do enjoy my 4 player split screen Xbox version, but HATE that there aren't customizable controls...

Wii Homebrew version of Doom & Quake using the Wii Remote is fantastic!! I recommend it. Nothing like aiming and pulling a trigger in a FPS!

I really enjoyed 32X doom, don't ask why but I did, I even had the PC version on release and still played the 32X version. The Jag version is impressive but needs music badly.

Raging in the Streets mrbigreddog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    I really enjoyed 32X doom, don't ask why but I did, I even had the PC version on release and still played the 32X version. The Jag version is impressive but needs music badly.
    I had a computer before I had a 32x. But not before having a Genesis and Sega CD... I had DOOM for PC and loved it, and I was so excited to get a 32x and DOOM, and I recall thinking "Oh man! Doom is gonna be SOOOO Awesome on 32x" as if it was going to be better? Maybe cause it was going to be on my bigger TV rather than on my PC screen?? Needless to say, I was unimpressed and sold that 32x right after christmas! And regret it!! I did get one again a few years ago though, and DOOM still sucked! HAHAHAHAHAA!!!

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    The 32x port of wolfenstein is the best wolfenstein port just because it's as close to the pc original as you can get.
    The DC SDISO is great too. Quake on DC was cool.

SNES Wolf3D is a great version for the platform. It shows what you can do when you use highly optimized assembly language.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    SNES Wolf3D is a great version for the platform. It shows what you can do when you use highly optimized assembly language.
    Yeah I still remember seeing wolfenstein on the snes back in the day and being so puzzled why there were no special processor chips listed on the box. That's one well done port.

Thread Information