Quantcast

Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega CD systems repair thread

Road Rasher

What happened with the power board?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training supersega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegaSonic91 View Post
    What happened with the power board?
    Ripped a via out of it. Desoldering braids suck.

Road Rasher

Ouch And yes, they do suck. I had a nightmare of a timet desoldering the PPU from my AV Fami with braid. I will not touch any of my Twin Famis, or MDs I want to recap until I get a desoldering gun!

I was amazed that the thing worked in the end considering how screwed the chip legs ended up.

Same here, lol. Was told that one of the $30 air rework stations do great if you just heat up the contact and pull lightly on the cap, but those desoldering guns look cool as well. Yeah, PCBs can take a lot of abuse, it seems. It just has to be the correct kind of abuse, I guess.

Road Rasher

I managed to get that poor smashed up CD drive fixed up so that it is now lifting the laser assembly up into place. Problem is, it is drooping on one side so that cd is not lifting enough for it to spin. Even more is the fact that if I prop that side up, the laser works perfectly. Rapid reading of the disc, no problem at all. The sound is kind of screwed though. It sounds like it is being put through a strobe which I can only assume is the sound board caps.

I am wondering if the fool that tried to fix the system with super glue (which I had to scrape off so that there was no longer a big gap which was causing the close switch to click under the main big gear that rotates tge helix screw) replaced the laser with a new one? It was (badly) re-capped when I received it, too. I have to try and deal with one pad that has come off the board as well as one that is hanging on by a small bit of the green of the board. I have read that super glue works, but can cause problems later on. I now have to decide if I want to tackle that sound board just yet with no desolder gun. Those through hold caps are a major pain. I think I will replace some of the 100v caps though as they seem to be very prone to leaking even though they are not SMD. I cleaned a crapload of fluid from the area around the regulator on another problem unit. No issues with the sound, I am amazed the power never popped on it though!

So cleaning the stuff made it work right? That's pretty good, and for the lift helix screw, try some modeler's putty yet if there's something missing?

Road Rasher

Well, it took scraping away all the super glue and a shit load of hot glue to get all the damage done to the front of the CD tray shell, fixed. I would love to know what happened to this poor system to get it in such a state. I fixed the drooping by taking the cd-rom drive apart and putting it back together properly. It reads discs now, no problem! I am amazed.

Perhaps the person in Japan that did the rubbish re-cap droped it from a very great height onto a hard surface by accident? There is no other damage to the unit apart from a clip missing on the face panel. I never thought I woukd get this thing lifting discs, letalone PLAYING them! The problem now is, 2 lifted pads on the main board and tge "strobe" effect of the music coming from the MCD's sound chip. If I connect the mixing cable, the MD sound is perfect, but the MCDs chip or cd sound disappears completely.

I have re-capped all but 4 caps near the fuse and rca/power jacks (which I will do today), and there is no change. All I can find in regards to sound issies is the usual "re-cap" advice. After all I have been through with this unit, I want the damn thing working. This thread is long dead it seems, so there is no advice to be had

Edit: After changing the remaining 4 caps on the sub board, FULL SOUND! Still nothing when connecting the mixing cable. I need to check it with a different MD though. I am tedtung with a VA0 that looks like it needs a full recap going by the nasty jailbars. I was thinking that maybe the sound caps around the headphone jack are dead, causing it not to work. I will have to test with some head phones.
    Last edited by SegaSonic91; 12-24-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Time for me to chime in as I have a HIGHLY problematic Sega CD Model 1 in need of repair, but absolutely nothing I've done has fixed the problem and I need someone else to confirm if what I'm suspecting is the fault truly is the problematic part.

So I have a Sega CD Model 1 that seems to crash immediately upon loading the BIOS. The BIOS ROM was already replaced by Guntz prior to me getting the Sega CD, I replaced all the capacitors, but the system always flashes the background graphics of the BIOS for what looks to be one, two frames maximum, then the screen goes black while the BIOS' song plays in the background (FM only).

What I found was that one of the clock signals, a 25MHz clock coming off the 315-5548, was getting out the chip, but wouldn't go through one of the ferrites on the board (clock line pulsed properly prior to the ferrite, but was stuck low past the ferrite). This clock leads to the LC8951, which, upon probing with a logic probe, had every single address and data line stuck high on the two Fujitsu SRAM chips connected to it. Replacing the ferrite with a wire got the clock working, but didn't resolve the underlying problem.

Is the LC8951 known to fail? At this point, I'm suspecting this chip is dead, but if you have any other ideas, I'm all ears.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

is this not a pinned thread? I had to search on google to find it again, it wasnt at the top of tech Aid

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Eidolon's Avatar

Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a mess after an unsuccessful attempt to recap a Mega CD model 1 (Japanese model) with ceramic capacitors.

Nevermind. Problem solved. Solder pad from C37 came loose. Fixed that, works like a charm again.
    Last edited by Eidolon; 03-03-2017 at 04:17 PM.

My sega cd 2 is showing a bizarre behavior, need to warm up for at least 5 minutes so that it can recognize the CDs.

The drive is a JVC Optima 6, which was changed 4 months ago by a generic unit from china.

After warming it, I can hear the lens hit the bottom but even so it recognizes the CDs and works even with CD-R.

No Idea what should I do first now.

Buy a new optical unit ?

Full RE-cap this bastard ?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Eidolon's Avatar

Next Mega CD model 1 (jp) to be repaired.
    It didn't work at all before. I exchanged all elcaps with cercaps on the main board first.
    Now it works - but it seems to have a "ghost in the machine", concerning PCM audio. (Mega Drive FM and CD audio work fine).
    I have never seen(heard) this symptom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdCBFcNMHBQ&feature=youtu.be
    Sounds like my Mega CD is laughing at me.
    Can anyone point me into direction of diagnosis and possibly repair? Or did the PCM chip (7881M) get somehow fried?

EDIT: Problem solved.

The problem could be solved by reflowing the solder connections of IC3, IC13 and IC14.

This strange PCM sound symptom seems to happen when one of the RAM ICs (13/14) has a bad connection to the PCM chip (IC3).

Some PCM music plays well, if the PCM samples are so small as to fit in one RAM IC only.
    The garbling only starts when both RAM chips are utilized.
    Last edited by Eidolon; 03-24-2017 at 05:00 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Anyone happen to know where I can get the flat gear that moves the laser back and forth? I have a cdx with the end broken off. I could have one made but it would be 150-200 bucks probably and I'm just trying to fix this for a buddy of mine. I've torn apart all of my old cd based consoles and drives and none of them use a gear like this. Attachment 13151 I would also be interested in buying one that wont power up or has severe issues so I could take the gear out.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Hiya, just got my Sega CD 1 yesterday. The previous owner gave up trying to get it working, but not before replacing the belt drive and laser (Sony KSS-240A). He claims it won't read CDs, but so far it plays audio CDs like a charm (I can't test games as my only Sega CD game is at my girlfriend's mom's house, and it's Japanese anyway - I'm new to the console). Is it possible that it can read audio but not game CDs? If so, would I need to readjust the laser or...?

Also, what are these two pieces and where do they go? The second one came shipped with the unit, but... outside it (pictures below).
    Attachment 13169Attachment 13170

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrBackhands View Post
    Hiya, just got my Sega CD 1 yesterday. The previous owner gave up trying to get it working, but not before replacing the belt drive and laser (Sony KSS-240A). He claims it won't read CDs, but so far it plays audio CDs like a charm (I can't test games as my only Sega CD game is at my girlfriend's mom's house, and it's Japanese anyway - I'm new to the console). Is it possible that it can read audio but not game CDs? If so, would I need to readjust the laser or...?

Also, what are these two pieces and where do they go? The second one came shipped with the unit, but... outside it (pictures below).
    Attachment 13169Attachment 13170
    Attachment is not working, please use an external image host like flickr or imgur.

It's possible it could play audio but not games, but if they already replaced the laser it seems unlikely, unless they messed with the pots on the assembly BEFORE replacing the laser and got them out of sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Thread Information