Quantcast

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 414748495051

Thread: Sega CD systems repair thread

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

I have one of those. They are really handy, but they are not so accurate especially in things like the esr. So you can't rely on it ti check if a capacitor Is good or not.
    And, again, once you desoldered it, just replace it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Yes but then you need to dismantle every capacitator to test if it works or not no? Then you can better recap it.

@majinga thanks i'll do that first.

Any idea how i check the voltages with a multimeter? I guess the unit has to be on then?

You can test the capacitors in circuit, only if you are sure they are not in parallel with other capacitors.

For the voltage, unfortunately yes. The MCD1 Is not easy to diagnose

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One pyroesp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    I have one of those. They are really handy, but they are not so accurate especially in things like the esr. So you can't rely on it ti check if a capacitor Is good or not.
    And, again, once you desoldered it, just replace it.
    I'm going to disagree with you on that. It's certainly not a professional, calibrated tool, but for the application it's used in it's more than enough.

If a cap measures 100Ohm ESR, I bet you it's probably bad.
    If the cap says it's 220uF and it measure 150uF... same deal.

On another note, I find it pointless to replace perfectly good caps just because it's easier or takes less time than measuring it.

If the plan is troubleshooting something failing, then troubleshoot and replace bad parts.
    If the plan is to do a whole recap, then just do that to begin with. There are tons of kits out there.

Check a capacitor in circuit Is tricky, even with a professional tool. And you can't just probe them around if you don't have a clue of how they are placed in the circuit and what theyr function is.

In a MCD1 there are not so many capacitors, and they are all almost 20 years old.
    If you are servicing it, because It have some faults, there is nothing wrong to just replace all the caps.

Personally i prefer to open my machines as less as possibile. So, in a situation like this i prefer to do as much work as possibile.

Sometimes even faulty capacitors can be measured as good with a tool. And get the correct capacitance in circuit is almost impossibile.

Hi,

I have two units that won't start up.

So i'm trying to fix that first so i could only be the fuse, the tr4 or the voltage regulator (i think).

I have no idea if any caps are bad/dead but i would first replace these 3 items and then try to power it on and see what it gives? I guess thats a good plan?

Hello. Recently I bought a Sega Mega CD 2 from Ebay and it has a couple of problems.

Firstly, disks cannot be read (most likely the previous owner turned the VR401/402/403 potentiometers).

Secondly, there is no BIOS melody, instead of it some kind of static noise.

Do you know how to solve these problems? Thanks in advance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvjKAsDfxAs

Thread Information