Quantcast

Page 35 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega CD systems repair thread

Co-Creator of the MegaAmp Raging in the Streets villahed94's Avatar

I'm having a bit of an issue with my Sega CD. The tray mechanism works but sometimes the tray gets stuck at opening and closing.
    I assume this is a thing with the motor, not providing enough torque for the tray.
    Is there a way to increase the voltage or the current drive to the motor?

Mega Amp: The reference audio circuit for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by villahed94 View Post
    I'm having a bit of an issue with my Sega CD. The tray mechanism works but sometimes the tray gets stuck at opening and closing.
    I assume this is a thing with the motor, not providing enough torque for the tray.
    Mine did that for a while until I replaced the belt. console5 has a good replacement.

Road Rasher

I'd say its the belt drive wearing out.

Co-Creator of the MegaAmp Raging in the Streets villahed94's Avatar

Effectively, it was a belt related problem. The belt was in good shape but it was a bit too big and hence it was slightly loose, not providing the torque needed to latch the tray.
    Now I have another issue: while I was closing down the system a small bit of plastic(a pivot) came off the tray.
    I have no idea where this thing actually goes but it fits in a hole located at the upper right corner.
    The system is currently stuck in an infinite close/open cycle, except if a disc is inside and then it stays shut. Any ideas?

Mega Amp: The reference audio circuit for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.

Road Rasher

Sega CD

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold101 View Post
    i replaced the laser on model1 and it works perfectly with originals, not all cdr can be readed but many works, all instead works on model2

still not eject when i press reset, instead it opens fine from the menu.
    it only eject when i press reset if the tray is already opened.

i tested all the pins on the flat lens cable and on the drive to mega cd pcb flat, all works
    The MCD M1 is picky about CDR's. Only use Taiyo Yuden discs and you should have no problems. As for the "reset not opening tray" issue, is it a JP system? If so, that does not work with the Japanese model. If you hold A,B,C+UP, that will open the tray. Hitting start still takes you to the CD control screen. It's annoying that the game cannot load from the logo screen, unlike the SEGA-CD/PAL MCD.

Now I have another issue: while I was closing down the system a small bit of plastic(a pivot) came off the tray.
    I have no idea where this thing actually goes but it fits in a hole located at the upper right corner.
    The system is currently stuck in an infinite close/open cycle, except if a disc is inside and then it stays shut. Any ideas?

That pivot is what hits a censor to keep the tray closed. Make sure it is properly seated in the hole and hitting the censor switch. The problem is most likely a misaligned tray. Especially if the belt has been replaced. It can be a right royal pain in the arse to fix, too! Is the system making a "thud" sound when it closes with a CD in the tray? You have to make sure the tray is PERFECTLY even when re-inserting it into the system. It is possible for the system to reset the tray on its own if you pull the draw halfway out before turning the system on, but that can cause other problems ^^;

One problem I have that I have never been able to work out, is corrupted graphics on one of my MCD systems. The system freezes once it reaches the CD panel. I re-capped the main and connector boards but it made no difference. It was a launch system going by the date on the manual, and I would really love to save it. If it is a graphics chip or RAM chip, is it possible to replace it? As long as they are not too expensive.
    Last edited by SegaSonic91; 04-25-2015 at 10:43 AM.

Nameless One

I just bought a sega cd model 2. everything works fine.... when the top cover is off and i just put the cd in with the magnet on top. So I know the laser is fine.

when i put the top cover on and put a cd in it just goes to the audio cd player and refuses to play.

I looked at this thread and havent seen this revision yet.

i want to know what these 3 pots do.

i think when i put the top on that the laser is suddenly too far away from the cd, so id like to adjust it closer.
    Last edited by mvsfan; 04-24-2015 at 10:16 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by mvsfan View Post
    I just bought a sega cd model 2. everything works fine.... when the top cover is off and i just put the cd in with the magnet on top. So I know the laser is fine.

when i put the top cover on and put a cd in it just goes to the audio cd player and refuses to play.
    Check the switches and the rubber grommets were the CD mechanism sits in instead.

Nameless One

I forgot to mention that the lid switch is taped closed. Its how i got the cd to boot without the cover on.

So the switch shouldnt matter when I put the cover on.

Quote Originally Posted by MEGADRIVE Jeroi View Post
    Sorry for late repsone but since someone migth end up with this problem: This sounds like faulty cap issue since cap loads energy and then image is lost and big problems obtaining DC to everypart of the board. I suspect some filter caps are dead.
    Hi all - back after forever and a day as I just exhumed this drive from my basement to work on it again. I replaced all of the caps with a new kit from consoles5.com and it's exhibiting the exact same behavior. I've had suggestions to replace the ribbon cables, but I have continuity through all of the traces. Then it occurred to me to test the expansion port connector to see if perhaps that was the culprit, and I'm finding that there's a lack of continuity in the third and fourth pins from the left side in this picture: http://i.imgur.com/wpTZkaO.jpg

I'm wondering if this might be the issue, because if not, then I'm at a loss. The unit powers on, the music plays, I see the video for a split second, and then the screen goes black. What's odd is that except for the music, the unit becomes completely unresponsive. No video, obviously, but I also can't get the tray to open up - after the above behavior, when I hit Reset to try to open the tray, the audio turns off and doesn't turn back on. It's like the Reset button completely kills whatever was going on, but doesn't start it back up.

Other things I've tried:

* Swapping the main board with a good one from another unit. This unit worked fine with the other board, so I'm fairly certain that means that the issue is isolated to the main board.
    * Cleaning the expansion port pins on the main board, in case it's a connectivity problem rather than a board problem. Gave it the ol' Brasso and isopropyl treatment and the pins are super-shiny now.
    * Testing the RF and AV outs - exactly the same on both.

I'm kind of at a loss here - has anyone ever seen this before?

Album of the entire unit, including the main and power boards in case anyone wants to inspect: http://imgur.com/a/QrVNx

Nameless One

I have the service manual for this sega cd but it doesnt explain a whole lot about what those 3 pots in my system do. Id like to know wich one to adjust to increase laser power.
    I replaced the laser pickup with a new one but it still doesnt read correctly.

Death Adder's minion

I just got a Mega CD2. I only tried Snatcher so far but have missing text and wrong colors on Gillian's picture on the bottom left at the beginning of Act 1. Happens the same way every time so I doubt the drive is having problems reading the disc. I played my copy the whole way through on Kega Fusion. I opened up the system and something looks odd, was this system worked on?

IMG_20150522_171936b.jpg

P.S. I'm using a VA3 model 1 US genesis with a Japanese Mega CD2 and a Mega Everdrive to run a US CD BIOS because Snatcher won't load on the default Japanese BIOS. Audio CDs play fine and Snatcher worked perfectly up until the start of Act 1.

Edit:
    Turns out that there`s nothing wrong with the MegaCD2. I got my hands on a US Sega CD2 and it does the same thing when trying to load a SegaCD BIOS off the Everdrive. I guess that it was never intended for you to use it that way. Some games play nice, but some others like Snatcher won`t. Anywho, I guess I`ll keep the Mega 2 for J games and the SegaCD2 for US games until I figure out how to make one of them play both regions.
    Last edited by bozo55; 05-30-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Does anyone know if it is at all possible to get replacement ribbon cables - I had to replace the fuse on a Mega CD 1 but the contacts on one end of the ribbon cable connecting the drive to the logic board broke when I removed it. I'd much prefer to find a replacement with contact ends than soldering a ribbon cable directly between the two.

Hey guys, I recently obtained a Model 1 "High Definition Graphics" SEGA GENESIS/ SEGA CD Combo, and I have a question: Sometimes when I hit the reset button to open the tray, the disc is spinning while the tray is opening, is that a normal occurrence? Because normally, it ejects and the disc is idle. However, there are few times when I hit the eject button, and like I said, the disc will still be spinning while the tray is opening. Is this something I need to be concerned of? Other than that, the system is fine, I recently had the F1[?] fuse replaced and other than the disc issue, it works beautifully. Any tips on the issue would be great, as I'd like to keep my SEGA CD 1 alive for as long as possible. =D

- t.

Quote Originally Posted by mvsfan View Post
    I forgot to mention that the lid switch is taped closed. Its how i got the cd to boot without the cover on.

So the switch shouldnt matter when I put the cover on.
    You may have to pull the spindle up a bees dick. When you have the cover on the cd is sitting on the cover not on the spindle (for free worth a shot).

There are 4 rubber standoffs. These might need to be spaced up a tad via thin washers.

Also that is an early model 2.
    Last edited by omp; 06-12-2015 at 05:26 AM.
    Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGamingKid View Post
    Hey guys, I recently obtained a Model 1 "High Definition Graphics" SEGA GENESIS/ SEGA CD Combo, and I have a question: Sometimes when I hit the reset button to open the tray, the disc is spinning while the tray is opening, is that a normal occurrence? Because normally, it ejects and the disc is idle. However, there are few times when I hit the eject button, and like I said, the disc will still be spinning while the tray is opening. Is this something I need to be concerned of? Other than that, the system is fine, I recently had the F1[?] fuse replaced and other than the disc issue, it works beautifully. Any tips on the issue would be great, as I'd like to keep my SEGA CD 1 alive for as long as possible. =D

- t.
    No not a problem, the system tried to read the disc and you interrupted it by ejecting. All good.

Good you got a model 1!
    Last edited by omp; 06-18-2015 at 06:21 AM.
    Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

Thread Information