Quantcast

Thread: Saturn not holding saves or system settings after new battery install

Default Saturn not holding saves or system settings after new battery install

A few days ago I pulled out my NTSC-J model 1 Saturn and, as expected, the battery was dead. I installed a new battery, set the clock and language settings, then played a little bit of daytona usa. I turned it off and back on to check that there was a save file. I went to turn it back on last night and it was asking me to set the date again. I checked the memory and my daytona usa save was gone also. I put in another new battery, thinking I got a bad one, but it resulted in the same thing after having the system off for about 1 minute.

I've tried searching online for anyone else having this issue and other people said there is a ribbon under the battery holder (to help remove it I guess), I checked and mine doesn't have one.

Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?
    Last edited by robotscandance; 07-23-2020 at 11:34 PM.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Possibly a bad capacitor, or the storage chip has a loose solder joint.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

If both the clock and the internal memory is reset, then the battery may not make any contact at all. I'd try to trace back the battery holder, see if the juice from it goes where it has to. I had a console once where the battery holder had a broken solder joint on the bottom, so it was like if you never put a battery in at all.

Thanks for the input, guys. Ill take it apart this weekend and see what I can find.

I have a stupid question. Did you try flipping the battery?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I have a stupid question. Did you try flipping the battery?
    Don't ever try to randomly "flip" a battery orientation, or you'll fry something.

That said, you should indeed check if you didn't install the battery incorrectly. The cr2032 on the Saturn should be the positive (text) side up.

You wont fry anything. Its like if you put a battery in backwards for a remote. Nothing happens, because a diode (reverse bias) will stop most of the current.
    Last edited by gamevet; 07-27-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

Do you have another unit?
    You can check on the battery unit if the resistance to the ground is the same.

Or you can feed 3V on the battery holder and check how much current it drain.
    It can be done even without opening the unit.
    Using a working one as reference you can check how much current it must drain normally.
    You can use a bench psu or a battery to hook up externally to check the current.

I will start with the multimeter on the battery holder, the other one is just a more complicated method to check if something is wrong

By opening the unit you can check if, with the battery in place, the sram is correctly powered.
    If it is not follow check if you get the battery voltage just after the battery holder.
    According to the schematics there must be a current limiting resistor in series with the battery, and even a test point.
    You must check if you have a faulty component, or if is just the battery holder (bad contact, oxide)

https://gamesx.com/wiki/lib/exe/fetc...schematics.pdf

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I have a Saturn whose save memory has failed outright, which strikes me as a possibility here. That said the behavior on mine is significantly different (it shows 0 bytes available on startup, for instance), so for your sake I hope it's just the battery holder.

I'm planning to get it FRAM modded one of these days -- just need to get around to it.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I have a Saturn whose save memory has failed outright, which strikes me as a possibility here. That said the behavior on mine is significantly different (it shows 0 bytes available on startup, for instance), so for your sake I hope it's just the battery holder.

I'm planning to get it FRAM modded one of these days -- just need to get around to it.
    That could be just the filesystem being corrupt, not the physical chip, unless it keeps doing the same after you force a CLEAR in the memory manager (or press the little blue button next to the battery, if it is a model 1 unit).

It funny, earlier this week my internal memory got wiped and a game told me I had no save space available. The clock still showed the correct time and date. I swapped out the battery and everything is fine now.

Thread Information