Quantcast

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253

Thread: Sega CD systems repair thread

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew75 View Post
    Now we are getting somewhere ! Keep us updated !!! I wonder if one of the caps has a bad connection to the board, put some flux on there and try reflowing them?
    I certainly will, might be a while before I get to it again though, I need to do some refurb work on the new Sega CD. I'll definitely start by reflowing the caps, the solder work is admittedly a bit sloppy and it's possible one or more of the joints is cold.

Actually scratch that, I looked at it just now and C49 was very wiggly. I touched the iron to the pads to reflow them and the positive pad on C49 lifted right off. Now I need to figure out where to reroute it to.

Actually I was only partially correct, the sub board is indeed the reason why there's no CD audio, the main board is the reason for no power, still trying to figure that out though.

https://imgur.com/a/QhERNLm

Is this even salvagable? I don't know where I can bypass the positive pad for C49.

Edit: Okay for future reference, you can connect the positive lead to pin 28 (VCC) on the chip right above it. It's a decoupling cap, and it isn't necessary for the system to function, so unfortunately it's not the problem.
    Last edited by wowsux133; 06-29-2020 at 02:23 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Wow man that board looks like itís in pretty bad shape, looks like capacitor fluid stains around them pads, probably one of the reasons they lifted up, you cleaning them up with alcohol and cue tips to stop further corrosion ? Also see rust on other parts in that pic, wonder if someone stored the unit in a humid place.

Wow man that board looks like itís in pretty bad shape, looks like capacitor fluid stains around them pads, probably one of the reasons they lifted up, you cleaning them up with alcohol and cue tips to stop further corrosion ? Also see rust on other parts in that pic, wonder if someone stored the unit in a humid place.
    It's from North Carolina so yeah it probably sat in a humid basement or attic for years. I've been applying some 91% isopropyl alcohol to a toothbrush and scrubbing away at it. It did work very well for a couple years though. It also looks much better in person than it does on camera, for what it's worth.

How goes the restoration anyhow?

How goes the restoration anyhow?
    No progress. I believe there might be a damaged trace somewhere. My next course of action is going to be to remove the large SEGA ASIC and check there, that's usually where the issue lies when you have a stuck bios, which was the last symptom I had before the system totally failed to boot. If that's not it, then there's either a dead BIOS, or a dead custom chip. If it's the latter, this SEGA CD is finished.

Time to Ebay it and buy a new one, lol jk jk

Time to Ebay it and buy a new one, lol jk jk
    I'm actually going to buy the Mega Everdrive Pro as soon as StoneAgeGamer gets them in, so it's basically a fruitless endeavor. But I don't want another one of these Model 1s to be lost for good. There wasn't many of them to begin with, and with all the problems they have the numbers keep dwindling.

But yeah, the more I work on it, the less I feel it can be fixed.

Sounds like a plan !! XD

Hello again everyone, I finally found some time to recap my Sega Mega CD model 1 (EU) main board, and my unit still has the same fault (planet shows up, but frozen with no music or mega cd logo).

When I did the recap, I noticed one of the caps had definitely leaked and corroded some pins on the ASIC. So angry. If the smell is anything to go by, I am lucky none of the other caps corroded anything though.

One of these pins seems OK and connected (pin 154), but two are not: pins 153 and 155.
    Seems like these pins are BD14 and BD15 respectively, and I tested continuity to the CPU for these two signals, and sure enough there's no connection.
    So would a cable from the ASIC pins to their respective counterparts on the CPU suffice? How would I even go at soldering a cable to these SUPER TINY ASIC legs? Any tips? I don't want to ruin this.
    Do you think the fault I get could be due to these two pins being disconnected?

By the way I noticed my ASIC is a 315-5622, I thought that was only on top loaders.

Anyway, any help greatly appreciated.

Thread Information