Quantcast

Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega CD systems repair thread

Quote Originally Posted by MEGADRIVE Jeroi View Post
    Ain't that belt be a 3" standard CD/DVD drive belt what we are talking about? But we should have a photo of the belt in this faq, tho telling peeps what to buy.
    I will have to check which one I put in, I have 2.

22.5mm x 1.7mm

or

22mm x 1.4mm

One of those 2 can't remember which (pretty sure it is the 1st one).

3" is pretty big, that is like 76.2mm.

When I do the JVC Optima 5, I will take a pic of the belt next to the ruler for reference.

*EDITED PIC ADDED

Last edited by omp; 08-31-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Take it apart! WCPO Agent MEGADRIVE Jeroi's Avatar

omp while you are opening the cd1 and cd2's could you also take a pic of Fuse locations? Would be helpful for faq as no good images of them in the net still.

Quote Originally Posted by omp View Post
    I will have to check which one I put in, I have 2.

22.5mm x 1.7mm

or

22mm x 1.4mm

One of those 2 can't remember which (pretty sure it is the 1st one).

3" is pretty big, that is like 76.2mm.

When I do the JVC Optima 5, I will take a pic of the belt next to the ruler for reference.

*EDITED PIC ADDED
    Your image confirms that it's 3" standard DVD drive belt. You measured there about 1" lenght and the whole circle is 3" I believe.
    Last edited by MEGADRIVE Jeroi; 08-31-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    #MEGADRIVEJeroi @ Quakenet irc server.
    Be true to yourself. GFX doesn't matter, the game does. If you are intrested to donate one NTSC Genesis for hardware testing purposes, please pm me.

Default Mega CD model 1 1690-18 JVC Optima 5

Mega CD model 1.

Model no. 1690-18 JVC Optima 5

Some of these pics aren't the best as I did it 4am this morning.....

Drive out

Flip it over and remove these screws

Rotate this screw setup to lower the CD sled and slide out the CD drawer

http://i.imgur.com/UGp7u.jpg

Lift off the board, take note of this connector when re-installing

Disconnect these 3 looms

Board out and to the side

Remove marked screws

Again remove the marked screws, these release the locking mechanism to remove the laser sled shaft

Flip it over again and note this locking clip, it needs to be moved slightly

Use screwdriver to move to the side and slide out shaft in direction of arrow

Like this

Looking at the back of the drive, the sled needs to be lifted slightly so the shaft can come out

Like this

Flip the drive over again and remove the laser as shown

Laser out

Remove screw to take of the geared rail to put on the new laser

Like this

When re-installing just a quick note

And 2

Last edited by omp; 08-31-2012 at 07:41 AM.

omp while you are opening the cd1 and cd2's could you also take a pic of Fuse locations? Would be helpful for faq as no good images of them in the net still.

MegaCD 1 fuse

Nice work omp! Keep photos coming. We specially need photos of the spindle motor controller chips and possible to identify what kind of chip is it and then look if we can find alternative chip for it.
    Be true to yourself. GFX doesn't matter, the game does. If you are intrested to donate one NTSC Genesis for hardware testing purposes, please pm me.

This is Dreamcast fuse location and voltage regulator can been seen attached to the heat sink:

Last edited by MEGADRIVE Jeroi; 08-31-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Sports Talker

JVC Optima 5 Where to buy new lasers for cheap i need at least 5 for my spare drives i have.

none on ebay at all.

I will add some extra info on my newly owned japan mega cd.

Whoa this thread's pretty epic. Love all the pictures.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Here's a couple fixes I've made to my SCD1.

This pic depicts the archimedes screw, under the big black gear, I mentioned earlier. It had a chip in the track, which I filled in with hotglue. This fix helps prevent the laser assembly from dislodging during operation.

This other pic shows one of the screw post slots for the laser assembly pick up guide. The other slot was fixed in exactly the same manner. These fixes also aid in stopping the laser assembly from dislodging.
    Last edited by Guntz; 09-06-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Guntz, could you tell more with those pictures what did you do and why?

Here is Saturn fuse location:

Last edited by MEGADRIVE Jeroi; 09-06-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Guntz, could you tell more with those pictures what did you do and why?
    The first pic depicts the archimedes screw, under the big black gear, I mentioned earlier. It had a chip in the track, which I filled in with hotglue. This fix helps prevent the laser assembly from dislodging during operation.

The other pic shows one of the screw post slots for the laser assembly pick up guide. The other slot was fixed in exactly the same manner. These fixes also aid in stopping the laser assembly from dislodging.

I think there's something else I'm missing though... Because when the SCD1 is right side up, it still can't bring the laser assembly all the way up. If I have the system on it's side, then it can completely bring the laser assembly up all the way.

About the laser sled I mentioned earlier, upon further investigation, I know exactly what causes the awful noise. When the laser sled reaches the CD spindle, the sled motor doesn't stop spinning. This means the motor gear is grinding against the sled gear strip, which can no longer move.

Can anyone tell me what tells the sled motor to stop spinning? I notice there is a transparent "flag" push thingy on the laser assembly board that the laser sled hits once it reaches the CD spindle (or CD track 0). Is that what tells it to stop? The laser sled has no trouble touching that flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    The first pic depicts the archimedes screw, under the big black gear, I mentioned earlier. It had a chip in the track, which I filled in with hotglue. This fix helps prevent the laser assembly from dislodging during operation.

The other pic shows one of the screw post slots for the laser assembly pick up guide. The other slot was fixed in exactly the same manner. These fixes also aid in stopping the laser assembly from dislodging.

I think there's something else I'm missing though... Because when the SCD1 is right side up, it still can't bring the laser assembly all the way up. If I have the system on it's side, then it can completely bring the laser assembly up all the way.

About the laser sled I mentioned earlier, upon further investigation, I know exactly what causes the awful noise. When the laser sled reaches the CD spindle, the sled motor doesn't stop spinning. This means the motor gear is grinding against the sled gear strip, which can no longer move.

Can anyone tell me what tells the sled motor to stop spinning? I notice there is a transparent "flag" push thingy on the laser assembly board that the laser sled hits once it reaches the CD spindle (or CD track 0). Is that what tells it to stop? The laser sled has no trouble touching that flag.
    Please add the info to next of your photos that I can maybe later add link to top of the thread. No point to have 2 messages in one thing for easier finding for peeps.

Yeah it's great when the info is next to the pics for sure pictoral guides are the best.

I'm reaching the end of my fuse (no pun intended) with this fucking piece of shit known as the Model 1 Sega CD. It's a bitch to do ANY sort of testing with it, because there's always a Genesis to hold up, the cables for the disc drive are very short and it's impossible to reach any of the switches if the disc drive is even half way assembled, let alone completely. Even after doing those mechanical fixes, the fucking thing still can't lift the laser all the way up, it gets stuck after lifting it just a little bit. On top of that, I still haven't figured out what is wrong with the laser sled. By itself, the motor always keeps spinning, even after the sled hits CD track 0 position. Only when I push the switch/flag/thing manually, will the sled stop and the laser tries to read something. So far the spindle hasn't spun at all, in any of my tests. And no, there isn't a single problem with the laser sled pushing that switch. The little fucker STILL doesn't stop. Only when I push the flag myself will the sled stop.

I'd feel better to just take a hammer to the fucking thing and be done with it. The Model 1 SCD is a piece of fucking shit... This is easily the worst lemon of a console I've ever worked with. Nothing else I've tried fixing has had so many little and fucking IRRITATING problems.

Thread Information