Quantcast

Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 404647484950515253 LastLast

Thread: Sega CD systems repair thread

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

No, still not able to see the attachment.

Some progress in the repair?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Anyone know if the 315-5660 chips area available at a reasonable price?

Hi guys !
    My CDX is faulty and I'd like to have some help because I'm stuck right now ...
    The problem is that when booting the CD part, I see the planet but it's not going further, nothing is moving, no Sega CD stuff, it's just stuck ... According to what I've read, it's due to some failing auto tests causing the bios to stop its execution
    The Genesis cartridge part is just working great on his side. I also tried to boot the CD player by putting 2 batteries inside and it's playing audio CDs with no issue.
    What I've done so far :
    - I replaced all capacitors on each boards -> No improvement
    - I replaced the battery soldered on the board (Z1) -> No improvement
    - I reworked solders from 315-5860 and 315-5632 using flux and fresh solder -> No improvement
    - I checked for continuity for each pins that connects main board and CD board to make sure that each board are connected together as expected ...
    - I tried to boot CDX bios using an Everdrive, I got the same result : CD screen stuck at the beginning !

So I'm stuck right now, is there something I should check first now ? Is there a king of debug bios allowing to had clue on what part of the bios boot process is failing ?
    I have a multimeter and an oscilloscope, but I really don't know what to start with now ...
    Thanks for your help, I'm dying to make this CDX to work, I was so happy to get one, but repairing it is turning into a nightmare

Did you tried to replace the BIOS?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

The 10.1 video is unavailable, and I couldn't find any pics anywhere either. Anybody have pics of how to align the big black gear?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Chaos Fusion's Avatar

3 years ago, I replaced the battery in my Sega CD with a LIR2032 Rechargeable Battery.

Generally, I didn't leave my system plugged in, disconnect the 3 in 1 PSU I use for it when it's not in use.
    Around September last year, the save files disappeared because I'm assuming the battery died due to the lack of use. So from that point on, I left my system plugged in however today the found that the memory was wiped again.

For clarity sake, does the SCD charge the battery when the system is powered off but connected to the wall or is it like the Dreamcast Clock battery where it charged when the system is turned on?

Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    Did you tried to replace the BIOS?
    I flashed a freebios and replaced the chip with no difference, and I tried to run the bios from an Everdrive also with no more luck ...
    I've read at some places that a diagnostic cartridge exists, but I had no luck finding a dump of it either

83983147_500092970564742_5992524888923963392_n.jpgWell I looked it up and tried the hot glue gun fix on the helix screw. It looks ok. I am still not seeing the silver CD spindle go up and down when I turn the gear. Does the helix screw have something to do with that? Not sure why. IF I turn the Helix screw it moves the spindle and laser up however when I turned the black gear it does not seem to connect to the helix gear to move it?
    Last edited by demonseed; 02-09-2020 at 11:21 PM.

The helix screw is engaged only on the last part of the movement, when the tray is totally in.
    Is not easy to move it by hand. Most of the time it appear to be very hard. Or the tray seem to be misaligned, and stay too out or go full in too soon.
    I done several tries before ti reinsert it in the correct way.

the big screw must do a certain number of turns, at this point the tray must be in the correct position, snd then the helix screw is engaged.

what hot glue fix?

There is a link with the full set of photo? This one only Is not useful.
    Last edited by majinga; 02-10-2020 at 04:01 AM.

Can you show me a photo of where the gear is to be? Right now the tray goes in and out but comes out right away. I canít seem to get the alignment exact. I watched you tube videos and so far this is the best I can get it. Before I mess with the helix screw is like to rule out the tray alignment. Right now the spindal part is in the down position. The tray slides in and out but the spindle section does not lift up or down. It looks to me like the big gear maybe isnít making contact with the helix gear but like I said I want to rule out alignment first. Appreciate any photos, videos and help!! Thanks guys
    Last edited by demonseed; 02-10-2020 at 11:48 AM.

can anybody tell me how i test a diode, capacitator, fuse etc with a multimeter? so to see what is broken and what is not?

for example, the fuse , capacitators, the tr4, the voltage regulator etc?

thanks!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Higher-end multimeters have diode and capacitor modes. Downside: you have to desolder those to test them, poking them while they're attached would not give correct results.

@demonseed
    Sorry, I didn't take any picture when i repaired mine. Once the tray completely removed, is not so easy to put it back in the correct way. I remember when i fixed mine, i made several tries before to reinsert it in the correct way. And i was forced to remove it many times to fix different issues. Take your time to do the job.

@SPiET
    To test a capacitor you need an esr meter. Multimeter can only read the capacitance, at best. And as roce said, you must desolder them (at least one end) most of the time, depends on how they are placed in the circuit.
    In general is easier just to replace them.

Ah thanks guys,

So i better replace the fuse, TR4 and voltage regulator first (since the unit is not powering on) and then see what it does? There are the main 3 items that broke first right?

@roce yes not accurate results but you will see A result no? While if the capacitor is dead, you wouldn't see a thing no?

Nope, when the ESR increase the capacitance still the same. Multimeters can only read the capacitance, so they are not good to check if a capacitor is good.
    They can be useful for short capacitors, but for this every multimeter is suitable.

Check if a capacitor is good or not is tricky. Sometimes even bulged capacitors looks fine when measured with an instrument.

Thread Information