Quantcast

Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253 LastLast

Thread: Sega CD systems repair thread

Quote Originally Posted by segasonicfan View Post
    Planet with no text means Genesis ASIC, 68K, vram, sram etc are fine. Its seeing the bios as well. But somethings wrong with the CD chipset communication.
    Can you please elaborate on what I should be looking at? I gave another inspection to the main board, there's no trace damage that I can find, but I don't really know specifically where I should be looking.

Seems like I have a JVC board CD-ROM unit.
    Last edited by kikendo; 05-28-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Hey Guys! First post ! Hi!!
    Anyways, Been struggling with the Sega CD model 1 (the one with the Sony KSS-240A laser lens assembly.) the problem was that it wouldn't read disks
    Went threw buying about 6 different lens assemblies on E-bay, Amazon, ect ect.

Several months later I finally went for broke and recapped the entire Sega CD unit, which in turn also fixed the disk read issue with the stock lens that came with the system.
    Now during my adventures in attempting to get the system to read disks, I did adjust the 3ed pot on the right that controls the laser power, I have it set at about .735 kΩ and the system reads Music CD's and burnt backup disks perfectly. but cant find my notes at what it was originally set at.
    I don't want to burn out my Lens, so i'm wondering what ranges are generally recommended , and or what ranges are usually set on untouched Sega CD model 1 systems?

On another note, I'm not sure if I want to call a specific youtube video out since I noticed something shady (could just be my imagination). And also since the vid was pretty helpful.
    The thing that caught my eye was that guy removed one of the cheap Chinese Assemblies in the video ( passing it off as original stock??)and replaced it with an original old stock looking lens assemblies (pretending to fix the system?), All while linking to an Ebay Seller who sold the (Same?) Chinese assemblies. Anyways. I had bought 3 of them from that same seller and had to do 3 exchanges with because on all of them the 3ed laser power pot reported 0 ohms no matter how much I tweaked it. in fact all of the Chinese knock off lasers had the same issue no matter where I had bought them from.

Later discovered some other Youtubers had the same issues with the Chinese units with 0 ohms and also not working, One guy said the Chinese units worked but didn't read backup disks.
    I no longer have any of the Chinese backup lenses to test after I re-capped the Sega CD. so I cant give any first hand impressions on the Chinese lens assemblies working on a proven working system.

All of the above leads me to the next question, Do the Chinese assemblies actually work? and if so , anyone have any experience in modifying them to allow tweaking of laser power?
    Last edited by Andrew75; 06-06-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Hi everyone, I've been having some issues with my Model 1 CD. At first I was having some issues with power, I would have to power on the Genesis a couple times for the Sega CD to actual turn on, not a big deal, but I wanted my stuff to work the way it should, so I opted to fix it. I figured that issue had to do with the capacitors on the sub board, so I recapped it, and after that the system would get power first try. However now the Sega CD would not play any CD audio. It could recognize a music CD, but when you play the CD there's just silence. In games the redbook audio didn't work, only PCM audio, so in Sonic CD for example there would be no music on the title screen or in levels, but there would be music in the opening FMV.

I figured maybe I needed to recap the CD drive board, so I did that, lifted a couple traces in the process, no big deal, just rerouted them with some wire. Still no change. I recapped the main board a couple years ago so it wasn't that.

So I inspected the sub board, figuring I might have soldered a cap in the wrong way or maybe cut a trace by mistake. All the caps were fine, there were a couple scratches on a few traces but just that, they weren't severed, just the copper was exposed. I rewired them anyway just incase, but had the same result. I went back and checked, all were in the right spot, I followed each trace perfectly. Found another scratched trace, rewired it and made sure the wire was going to the points it should, and put it back in the system, then I was getting a frozen bios. Just the planet screen, no music, no text, no spinning Sega CD logo. Turned it off and on again, but now I was getting nothing, no signs of life from the Sega CD. I took the board out, de-soldered all of the bypass wires, and tried again. Nothing.

The CD is still getting power, as if you move the laser/manually open the disc tray, it will close when you plug it in. If you plug a Model 2 Genesis in it, turn it on, then turn it off, the power LED on the Genesis 2 will still be faintly lit, so now the CD is putting power to the Genesis I guess? The fuse is fine, TR4 is fine, the regulator is fine, not sure what the issue could be. I checked TR3 and get nothing coming from the bottom two pins voltage-wise, is there supposed to be anything coming from those pins? I believe I was getting 5ishV on the top pin.

I've skimmed through this thread a few times, and have found some people with a similar issue, but no solutions.

Did you run the stereo mixing cable line out from the Front jack on model 1 genesis to the input on the back of the model 1 sega CD ?! And make sure that you also turn the volume up all the way On the genesis. That should fix your no cd track audio issue.

Another thing ,unrelated, but since you already recapped the system, you could look into the actual ac adaptor, I had buzzing audio until recapping the ac adapter. And every single ac adaptor I own from any retro system were all leaking fluid. Be they both Nintendo or and or Sega.
    Last edited by Andrew75; 06-23-2020 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew75 View Post
    Did you run the stereo line out from the Front jack on model 1 genesis to the input on the back of the model 1 sega CD ?! And make sure that you also turn the volume up all the way On the genesis.
    No, but I had always just used the audio cables from the 32x (I have a custom 32x patch cable for the Model 1, has a stereo jack to take the audio from the headphone jack) and never had any CD audio issues before I recapped the sub board. Yes, the volume slider is all the way up. I tried the RCA jacks on the CD with a model 2 Genesis (because you don't need a mixing cable to use those with a Model 2 Genesis) and had the same audio problem. It's definitely a hardware issue, not a user issue. Anyway I can't even get it to turn on now, so the audio issue is the least of my worries. I just bought another Model 1 Sega CD on ebay (untested, but hopefully it's working/a simple fix like a fuse or belt as it's from a pawn shop without the means to test). I'm hoping I can better diagnose the problem with a second unit to swap parts with.

As for the AC adapters, I've tested multiples and had the same issue, so it's not that, but yeah good point they should be serviced at some point.
    Last edited by wowsux133; 06-23-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Aww man ! Well man sorry I couldnít be of any assistance, and good luck getting any on here , I still waiting for answers to my lens replacement questions lol. 1 last thing try swapping the power bricks gen 1 to sega cd 1 them ac adaptors cause issues too Iíve noticed.

Edit: ohhh ok I see you did try the ac adaptors

Aww man ! Well man sorry I couldnít be of any assistance, and good luck getting any on here , I still waiting for answers to my lens replacement questions lol. 1 last thing try swapping the power bricks gen 1 to sega cd 1 them ac adaptors cause issues too Iíve noticed.
    I believe you want the right pot at around 700-800 for the best compatibility with reading official and burnt games, the other pots I don't know about, but you might be okay with what you have it at. Chinese lasers are very spotty, I ordered one a couple years ago for a model 2 and it worked, but far worse than the original one I was replacing, so I just ended up spending several hours tweaking the original to get to work.

Honestly I'm getting tired of official Sega CD hardware, I spend more time doing maintenance than I do actually playing games. I'm pretty close to just selling them and getting a Mega SD or the upcoming Mega Everdrive Pro.

Yeah that ever drive pro looks interesting for sure!!! And thx for the response in relation to the laser power!! Something else I noticed when recapping the CD mount board , It actually gave more strength to the front loader CD trey!! Before doing that recap, the trey didnít have the strength to open or close fully.

Yeah that ever drive pro looks interesting for sure!!! And thx for the response in relation to the laser power!! Something else I noticed when recapping the CD mount board , It actually gave more strength to the front loader CD trey!! Before doing that recap, the trey didnít have the strength to open or close fully.
    I'm going to wait for the EverDrive Pro to come out and see how people like it before jumping on it, but it's a serious consideration right now, I've lost sleep from staying up into the late hours of the night working on the Sega CD and I just want it to be done with.

Interesting, the CD drive is so finicky on Model 1s so it doesn't surprise me. When you recapped the CD drive board, did you have a lot of lifted pads? When I did mine I had to reroute like 4 of the caps because the pads lifted right up when I touched the soldering iron to them.

Quote Originally Posted by wowsux133 View Post
    Interesting, the CD drive is so finicky on Model 1s so it doesn't surprise me. When you recapped the CD drive board, did you have a lot of lifted pads? When I did mine I had to reroute like 4 of the caps because the pads lifted right up when I touched the soldering iron to them.
    Wow they lifted right up?! Damn ! Yeah I didnít have that issue on the cd drive board where the lens is mounted to. Also didnít have the issue with the surface mount electrolytic capacitors on the main board. Was there a lot of corrosion?! Iím using a hakko desoldering gun, the one with solder vacuum built in.(Model FR 301) And cheap desoldering tweezers for the Surface mount caps.

Wow they lifted right up?! Damn ! Yeah I didnít have that issue on the cd drive board where the lens is mounted to. Also didnít have the issue with the surface mount electrolytic capacitors on the main board. Was there a lot of corrosion?! Iím using a hakko desoldering gun, the one with solder vacuum built in.(Model FR 301) And cheap desoldering tweezers for the Surface mount caps.
    Nope no corrosion. In fact the CD Board caps looked fine, no signs of leakage or bulging, I just replaced them as preventative maintenance. I really need to get a desoldering gun, I'm just using my regular old soldering iron with a solder sucker and it takes some time. Didn't have a problem with the sub board or main board, so I guess they were just really weak on the CD board for some reason.

Eww that sucks man! Iím asking around about the audio issues , since in fact it seems Like Iím getting youíre issue, when using the genesis audio out, itís only outputting the sound effects from sega cd games and the bios music , but no game music unless connecting to the av jack out of the actual sega cd itself.

Eww that sucks man! Iím asking around about the audio issues , since in fact it seems Like Iím getting youíre issue, when using the genesis audio out, itís only outputting the sound effects from sega cd games and the bios music , but no game music unless connecting to the av jack out of the actual sega cd itself.
    That's odd. Are you able to test with Sonic CD and/or Road Rash? If you get music from the FMVs in Sonic CD or just in general in Road Rash, then the PCM audio is working fine, that might help you narrow things down. It's possible that the CD audio is able to get out through the RCA jacks, but something prevents it from being sent through to the Genesis.

I got a second Model 1 in the mail today, it turns out that my issue is the mainboard, not the sub board. No idea how that would have happened as I didn't touch it when I recapped the sub board, and it already had its caps replaced. On the bright side the second Model 1 is the early revision with a socketed BIOS, so I could easily just swap in a region free BIOS at some point. Now I just need to figure out what's wrong with the first mainboard.

Now we are getting somewhere ! Keep us updated !!! I wonder if one of the caps has a bad connection to the board, put some flux on there and try reflowing them?

Thread Information