Quantcast

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Unreviewed Genesis/Mega Drive/CD games (as of 03/09/2012)

feel the shell shock! WCPO Agent negative chill's Avatar

Is F-1 World Championship Edition still up for grabs review wise?

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.”—Eric Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by negative chill View Post
    Is F-1 World Championship Edition still up for grabs review wise?
    I haven't received any claims for this game yet, so the answer is yes. Do you want to review it?
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

feel the shell shock! WCPO Agent negative chill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    I haven't received any claims for this game yet, so the answer is yes. Do you want to review it?
    I'm certainly considering it

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.”—Eric Schmidt

That sounds like a definite "maybe"
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Just spotted a potential missing entry on the list: Klax. The US Tengen version has been reviewed, but not the (completely different) port released in Japan by Namco.
    That's interesting. I have the import and never even considered it would be different from the Tengen release. I still need to catch up on my reviews once I wrap up this semester (just one more week), but if it's still available by then, I'll definitely look into it.

I finally found the time to update the claims list:

- King Salmon claim added to the list
    - Marsupilami set to "submitted"

I haven't filed a claim for F1 World Championship yet. I just want to keep the number of unrealised reviews to a minimum (come summer I will cull the list once more, by the way).

Regarding Klax, that's certainly interesting. Klax was one of the first Mega Drive Games I had, and since I had to import all my games back then since the MD hadn't officially come to Europe yet, I had the Namco version. Never really thought that there could be two different versions. But I had a quick look at YouTube, and even though there don't seem to be any clips of the Namco version there (strangely enough), the Tengen version certainly does look different. I'd say the Namco version looks better, can't say anything about any gameplay differences (there don't seem to be any changes to the overall formula, but things like gamepad precision cant really be determined from a video).

I'll include the Namco version to the list. HEck, if we got two reviews for seperate versions of Sega Soccer, that's more than enough reason to put two different versions of Klax on the review list as well.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

- Marsupilami set to "submitted"

I haven't filed a claim for F1 World Championship yet. I just want to keep the number of unrealised reviews to a minimum (come summer I will cull the list once more, by the way).
    Thanks for that. I'll try to get on my Itchy & Scratchy review soon. Part of the obstacle is that I need to play through the SNES version to confirm that the Genesis version is complete (if so, it should be moved to the section for full-fledged reviews).

Regarding Klax, that's certainly interesting. Klax was one of the first Mega Drive Games I had, and since I had to import all my games back then since the MD hadn't officially come to Europe yet, I had the Namco version. Never really thought that there could be two different versions. But I had a quick look at YouTube, and even though there don't seem to be any clips of the Namco version there (strangely enough), the Tengen version certainly does look different. I'd say the Namco version looks better, can't say anything about any gameplay differences (there don't seem to be any changes to the overall formula, but things like gamepad precision cant really be determined from a video).

I'll include the Namco version to the list. HEck, if we got two reviews for seperate versions of Sega Soccer, that's more than enough reason to put two different versions of Klax on the review list as well.
    And two versions of Marble Madness as well, so this sort of thing has happened a few times! BTW Generation-16 has footage of both versions of Klax in Episode 013.

Hero of Algol

can't say anything about any gameplay differences (there don't seem to be any changes to the overall formula, but things like gamepad precision cant really be determined from a video).
    Here:
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Here we go...

1st i precise that i also still haven't played the Arcade original & have a question about it : is its 2 players mode a competitive one or there's no interaction between players?

Now, here come my ranking then descriptions / opinion about all ports i played 'til now, from best to worst :

1st : The Namcot made Japanese Mega Drive one.
    2nd : a tie between the Atari Games made Genesis / EU Mega Drive one & the PC Engine one.
    3rd : The NES one (Either Jap' or the unlicensed US one, they're the same).
    4th : The Master System one.
    5th : The Game Gear one.

The Japanese Mega Drive port
    • Content : 2 players competitive mode available; no options menu.
    • Controls : excellent! Lateral movements are fluid & dropping the tiles is fast & responsive. Also, when you accelerate the tiles fall on the... carpet (?) &, while maintaining the D-pad down, then move left or right, it stops their acceleration & when you stop in a column, still while maintaining the D-pad down, their acceleration starts again & IMO it's the most convenient possibility among the 3 that i know (You'll see the two others after...).
    • Visuals : good. The lying tree trunks @the forest scenery is better made than in the Arcade version but the water @the boat scenery is not as well animated as the latter.
    • Audio : all the "... waves!" digit' voices are here + 2 others which seem exclusive to this port : "Very good!" at end of each successful waves & "Oh no!" when you loose & all sound good. Also it seems that there's only one chick's scream & it is harder to obtain than in others versions :> . There's no music. & about SFX, there're ok but some sound a bit scratchy while the one when you want to drop tiles while your bat is empty, "boing!", is lacking. & finally, the increase in volume when the tiles approach is present & well noticeable.

The Atari Games made Genesis / EU Mega Drive port
    • Content : 2 players mode available but no interactions between each others; options menu with quite a lot of stuff.
    • Controls : good. Lateral movements are fluid but dropping the tiles can be annoying since it doesn't respond very well nor very fast. Same as the MD Jap' version about the tiles acceleration while moving the bat.
    • Visuals : very good. Not the same scenery order as MD Jap' version. But still haven't see some sceneries like the boat one so still have to discover them...
    • Audio : all the "... waves!" digit' voices are lacking but the screams / applauses are here & match the action (unlike some in the NES port). A cool little music is available + SFX - which sound great - at the same time. The increase in volume when the tiles approach is here too but less noticeable than in the MD Jap' version.

The PC Engine port
    • Content : 1 player only (But despite that it's still written LEFT PLAYER at the top of the screen); options menu with a HUGE amount of stuff but some things are useless.
    • Controls : good. Lateral movements lack fluidity but dropping the tiles is fast & responsive. Also, here when you accelerate the tiles fall & move the bat at the same time the tiles continue to fall which can be less convenient depending of how you play.
    • Visuals : very good but one annoying thing, IMO, at the same time... Let's start with the scenery & here it's the same bad-looking lying tree trunks as the Arcade version @the forest scenery but the water @the boat scenery looks great! What annoys me is that the tiles lack a black outline + their colors are especially bright = too flashy, not cool for the eyes. I remember one day i had a long Klax session switching from one port to another & when at a moment i played the Genesis one & then switched to this one it was kinda painful. I have to precise that i like "darkness" but still
    • Audio : all the "... waves!" digit' voices are present but they sound scratchy, especially the "Klax wave!" which sound dreadful. Also the screams / applauses are here too & sound ok. There's no music. SFX sound great (+LOL@the one when pressing the drop button while there's no tiles on the bat, fun stuff). The increase in volume when the tiles approach is present & well noticeable & maybe better made progression-wise than in the MD Jap' version.

The NES port
    • Content : 2 players mode available but same as Genesis / EU MD port = no interactions; options menu & also a STUFF menu with DRUM TEST; SOUND TEST & a pointless mini-game : BLOB BALL.
    • Controls : very good except one thing : you can't laterally move the bat while you accelerate the tiles fall. Also the gameplay is quite fast here.
    • Visuals : good NES graphics, do their job.
    • Audio : there are different music available but it's either them or SFX. There's no voices, just a few screams which for some don't even correspond to the action.

The Master System port
    • Content : 1 player only; options menu available.
    • Controls : good. Lateral movements are a bit slippery but dropping the tiles respond better than in the Genesis version. & here it's the same as the PCE version about the tiles acceleration while moving the bat.
    • Visuals : Better than the NES version with more details.
    • Audio : music (= a 8-bit version of the Genesis one) + SFX at the same time. No voices nor screams.

The Game Gear port
    = same as the Master System version but very lower-res & a bit less slippery bat.

I haven't played a lot the 3rd gen' ports but it seems that they lack some sceneries...

The Japanese Mega Drive port also seems a bit easier than some others ports like the Genesis or the PCE ones. But the fact that it also controls better obviously helps. Really when i switch between different ports it's hard to totally enjoy the Genesis or PCE versions when i just played the Japanese Mega Drive one ^^

Now my Klax fantasm : MD Jap' controls + NES pace + MD Jap' 2 players competitive mode + PCE options menu + MD Jap' voices + Genesis / PCE screams / applauses + PCE SFX + Genesis music (with more tracks available)
    A Mega-CD versions including all these things would be amazing!

^Repped.

BTW another one for the list: Tom Clown. Looks like it did get a cart release, so it's in for the unlicensed Asian section.

Hm, apparantly released by Realtec. Might be legit... Has anyway Seen an actual cartridge of this? I have to admit, I'm a bit undecided about this one. For one, its cart status is nuclear unclear (damn autocorrect, lol), and also it's a shameless clone/rip-off of Clowns if I'm not mistaken. (Then again Super Bubble Bobble is also on that list, but that one has at least a somewhat original level Design...)

If you can find another reliable source that this one was actually released on cart, I will include it. For now , I'd rather remain sceptical.
    Last edited by Phantar; 05-05-2015 at 07:05 AM.

Hm, apparantly released by Realtec. Might be legit... Has anyway Seen an actual cartridge of this?
    Azathoth's info is quite reliable about this sort of thing -- when it comes to pirates and the like, he knows his stuff. But FWIW there's also a for sale thread on Assemblergames.com where Bramsworth (who also knows his stuff) is selling a copy of the cart.

Unfortunately Assemblergames is getting a forum upgrade ATM so I can't access the image he posted of the cart, but I think confirmation from two different pirate game experts should be enough to confirm its existence.

Spring semester is over! Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball-bu Soccer-hen MD review is submitted!

I'll claim Thomas the Tank Engine and also Buck Rogers: Countdown To Doomsday. I'm surprised no one's claimed BR yet; not as surprised about ol' Thomas. I'm actually having a lot of fun reviewing the games that nobody seems to want to review, as I can squeeze enjoyment out of pretty much anything from the Genny library

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    I'll claim Thomas the Tank Engine and also Buck Rogers: Countdown To Doomsday. I'm surprised no one's claimed BR yet; not as surprised about ol' Thomas.
    Actually, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday HAS been claimed in the past. At least twice, in fact. However, noone has followed through on that claim so far. Which is unfortunate - I have only played the Amiga version, but I thought that one was pretty good, so I'm very curious about a review of the Genesis version.

So here's your chance to shine then. I've noted down your claim. Oh yes, and for TTET as well, of course .

I just submitted the Sega Arcade Classics Collection review for Mega CD.

Now on to Golden Axe Warrior!

Thread Information