Quantcast

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Unreviewed Genesis/Mega Drive/CD games (as of 03/09/2012)

I just completed a review for Dungeon Master 2, so you can scratch that one from the list.

Some corrections for the master list. The Rock Hits/Rock Paintings aren't games at all just CDG music CDs and should only be a hands on article and removed from the list. The Sega Classics Arcade Collection 5 in 1 for Sega CD is a European Exclusive and only the 4 in 1 was released in the USA so that needs to be moved.

For Asian releases add the following so far.

Chess (Board Game, Russian)
    Death Caliber (Target Shooting)
    Deer Hunter (Target Shooting)
    Domino (Board Game)
    Iraq War 2003 (Target Shooting)
    Magic 7 Block (Gametec) (Board Game)
    Queen Of Poker Club: 6 in 1 (Sachen)
    Shizen Mahjong (Sachen)
    Sokoban (Board Game)
    Super Poker

Games that need more research to see whether they are original games or hacks

Shizen Mahjong (Sachen)
    Smeshariki
    Tanks: New Battle

I'm going to try and find more games not on this list but this is a start for now.
    Last edited by vintagegamecrazy; 11-23-2012 at 02:08 AM.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    Some corrections for the master list. The Rock Hits/Rock Paintings aren't games at all just CDG music CDs and should only be a hands on article and removed from the list.
    Shall they be removed, really? For one, we also have reviewed the San Diego Zoo-CD and Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia, so I don't see why Rock Paintings shouldn't deserve a review as well. Yeah, it's just grainy music videos, and badly aged pop at that, but it may be a laugh. (I'm willing to be overruled on that notion, though).

The Sega Classics Arcade Collection 5 in 1 for Sega CD is a European Exclusive and only the 4 in 1 was released in the USA so that needs to be moved.
    Moved the entry into the European section and corrected it slightly (Sega Classics Arcade Collection (5-in-1; 4-in-1 in other regions)); I don't see a need for creating two entries for what basically is the same sampler.

For Asian releases add the following so far.

Chess (Board Game, Russian)
    Death Caliber (Target Shooting)
    Deer Hunter (Target Shooting)
    Domino (Board Game)
    Iraq War 2003 (Target Shooting)
    We already discussed the inclusion of these Russian homebrews back on page 2, and I still have extremely mixed to negative feelings about including those. Chess might be an okay game, but the other four are simply dreadful. Also, Deer Hunter is a (very) stripped down, unlicensed port of a PC game, which definitely makes it ineligible for review due to 100% stolen content. (By the way, when talking about those you forgot to mention the 5-level-port of Commandos as well, that one's kinda impressive, even though it lacks music, one character and the sight-core-mechanic). I'd say these russian games would make for a good feature, though. Or maybe someone would like to do a feature on the Tomsoft-Engine these games are based on?

Magic 7 Block (Gametec) (Board Game)
    Queen Of Poker Club: 6 in 1 (Sachen)
    Shizen Mahjong (Sachen)
    Sokoban (Board Game)
    Super Big 2
    Super Poker
    Could you please, as stated on the first page, provide a reliable source for these games, ideally one that lists whether or not it has other names as well? This would also help to double-check whether these games are already in the list or not, since they could have multiple titles; for example, Super Big 2 had already been added as Hei Tao 2: Super Big 2 (Taiwan, Card game). As for Sokoban, that's basically Shove-It: The warehouse game with the cutscenes removed; at least the first few levels are the same.

Games that need more research to see whether they are original games or hacks

Shizen Mahjong (Sachen)
    Smeshariki
    Tanks: New Battle

I'm going to try and find more games not on this list but this is a start for now.
    As interesting as compiling an exhaustive list of unlicensed Asian games is, I think it's better to concentrate on the official releases first. Sifting thorugh these obscure and often hard to obtain bootlegs takes up a lot of time; checking them for stolen content and deciding whether or not they deserve a review even more so. Also, reviewing those games side to side with official releases may water down the overall impression of the console somewhat. Maybe we should split the unlicensed Asian releases off into a separate thread; the longer the list goes, the more conflicted I feel about them.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Don't take that list as concrete, it's just stuff I found that seems original. I know it needs more research and I'm willing to do it as I can find stuff out. I didn't know Deer Hunter was a port of the PC game, that can be removed no problem. I also knew Commandos was a hack of an existing PC game and didn't include it. I can get a cheap copy of Sokoban and can see if it's a hack of Shove It or not and let you know on that.

I don't see why we shouldn't include these unlicensed games if we can prove that they are original as we've done many other unlicensed games from other regions. I know games like Thunderbolt II and Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan have some mild stolen content but we still included them because they are vastly an original games for the most part. I think the coverage of these obscure games is what diversifies Sega-16 form the other sites and makes it stand out. I am all for doing features instead of reviews if some of those games are proven just to be hacks though.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

On the Rock paintings discs I guess you have a point and I could go either way on those. I don't think that I'd want to spend the time to write about those though. As far as not having two entries about the Sega Classics Arcade Collection 5 in 1 I think that should be the entry that we should have since it includes the fifth game but if we only have one entry and remove the other game then we are doing a disservice to the writer of the original so in this case I think that we should just have two separate reviews just for fairness sake.

On another note is anyone sure that the MD port of Waterworld is unfinished? The widipedia article says that it was finished but not distributed.

What are your thoughts on these Melf?
    Last edited by vintagegamecrazy; 11-23-2012 at 10:58 AM.

I didn't want to list this game yet until I did some more research but it seems that Adventurous Boy: Mao Xian Xiao Zi is an original clone with no actual borrowed contend. Though it's a pretty blatant copy of Fantasy Zone but I believe it would be able to make the Asian list. I also found a nice write up for the game Bomboy which will help shed some light for someone who may possibly want to write for this game so you could replace the list with this link.

Adventurous Boy: Mao Xian Xiao Zi (Shmup) (Fantasy Zone clone by Gametec)
    Bomboy (Action Puzzle) (Gametec original clone of Bomberman)
    Last edited by vintagegamecrazy; 11-23-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Hero of Algol

If any of you need a link to download Bomboy, just let me know...

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Soukoban's the official JP title of Shove It. The full name's Shijou Saidai no Soukoban but Soukoban is the large bold red print that refers to a warehouse.
    Sorry if I'm missing some aspect of this discussion, just trying to save time and effort.

Thanks Starmist, we can scratch that from the list then.

Ok here appears to be another game exclusively released in Asia and not a bootleg or hack.

GunFight 3 in 1 (Light Gun) (Target Shooting)

Looks interesting, I don't have the funds lately though.

Hm... does indeed look interesting. And it's claimed to be compatible with the Justifier, too! Too bad the seller doesn't provide any screenshots, because it could be that this is "just" one of the many bootleg multicartridges and the three games included are western releases crammed onto one cartridge without license (one of the three games is named "Terminator", which could just be T2: The Arcade game judging by the tiny pics on the back of the box actually is T2: The Arcade Game - no way they were officially allowed to do that).

If it were cheaper I'd maybe risk taking a look, but with an asking price of 100quid I'd rather stay away from this. I can't find anything on this game anywhere else on the web, so it seems a bit fishy to me...
    Last edited by Phantar; 12-12-2012 at 05:00 AM.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

I wish it was cheaper too, Maybe we could contact this seller and ask some questions. He seems to be knowledgeable on this stuff. I'm probably going to buy a few of his cheaper games for review purposes since they look pretty cool.

I'll claim A Dinosaur's Tale instead of Pinocchio then.

Also just a suggestion, maybe double list the Disney games as their official titles, ie "Disney's Pinocchio", and in whatever the letter of the actual title is, ie "Pinocchio, Disney's". Might make it easier to find in case people are looking for them.

There are a couple of Games that have been claimed more than 6 months ago but still haven't been reviewed yet:

[/s]Gods (Platform) claimed: 06/30/12 [/s] reclaimed 01/06/13
    Buck Rogers: Countdown To Doomsday (RPG) claimed: 02/01/12, claim renewed 07/07/12
    Instruments Of Chaos Starring Young Indiana Jones (aka Young Indiana Jones, Platform) claimed: 06/29/12
    Traysia (RPG) claimed: before April 2012 Game available for Review
    Devilís Course (Sport) claimed: 6/29/12 this one is finished, just hasn't been published yet
    Fastest 1 (Racing) claimed: 04/22/12
    Bouncers claimed: 6/29/12
    Iron Helix (FMV) claimed: 6/29/12
    RDF Global Conflict claimed: Before April 2012 reclaimed 01/06/13

To everyone holding the claims: Is there still any interest to do a Review on those? Otherwise I'll remove the claims and give them up for grabs.
    Last edited by Phantar; 01-06-2013 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    There are a couple of Games that have been claimed more than 6 months ago but still haven't been reviewed yet:

Gods (Platform) claimed: 06/30/12
    Buck Rogers: Countdown To Doomsday (RPG) claimed: 02/01/12, claim renewed 07/07/12
    Instruments Of Chaos Starring Young Indiana Jones (aka Young Indiana Jones, Platform) claimed: 06/29/12
    Traysia (RPG) claimed: before April 2012
    Devilís Course (Sport) claimed: 6/29/12 this one is finished, just hasn't been published yet
    Fastest 1 (Racing) claimed: 04/22/12
    Bouncers claimed: 6/29/12
    Iron Helix (FMV) claimed: 6/29/12
    RDF Global Conflict claimed: Before April 2012

To everyone holding the claims: Is there still any interest to do a Review on those? Otherwise I'll remove the claims and give them up for grabs.
    I have Traysia, RDF and Gods. I'm dropping Traysia, as every time I play it, something happens to corrupt my save file on both my cart, and the EMU (namely, power flickers while it's saving on the former). So yeah, I've no interest in trying to play through it again for the sake of a review. RDF and Gods on the other hand, I'm keeping since both were started, then put on hold.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

Thread Information