Quantcast

Page 598 of 680 FirstFirst ... 98498548588594595596597598599600601602608648 ... LastLast
Results 8,956 to 8,970 of 10190

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher AggroSky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    So it would appear from speculation that Fonzie wanted to run the game on an emulator on the cart? What's the point in even using the MD then?
    No, he just wanted an add-on chip similar to the Super FX on the SNES for minor enhancements. From my interview back in 2017, here is what he said about the chip:

"The whole game was optimized with the Mega Drive VDP (GPU) limitations in mind. Life bar sizes, sprite sizes, backgrounds, colors. This already gives quite a great boost comparatively to many games back then (which were made with multi-platform in mind or just butchered jobs). More over, there is the “IPL” tech to bring more parallaxes, “DATENMEISTER” for extra audio channels, and the “EXS-VI” for “Expanded Sprites Mode VI” which allows the game to exceed other games limitations and quite some more surprises. Really, our hope is to have created the ultimate Mega Drive game!"

You can read the whole interview here if you are interested:

https://www.gamingrebellion.com/2017...ium-interview/

*EDIT*

A bit more from the interview on the Datenmeister:

"I won’t go into too many details here because I don’t think you need a 30 page long answer. But what I will say; due to Sega design choices at the time the Mega Drive was designed, neither the Mega CD (Sega CD) nor the 32X can really improve the stock Mega Drive graphical capabilities when it comes to 60fps performance (most of the Mega CD or 32x games with extra graphical capabilities run below 30fps). So as much as we are fond of those hardware add-ons, we can’t compromise ourselves here!

There is however, a back-door Sega left to us in the audio department. We developed a special chipset (the DT128M16VA1LT “DATENMEISTER”) that adds, among other things, several more channels of audio to the existing hardware and fixes the issues the original hardware had (poor SFX quality mostly). We made our own audio drivers and tools and now the only real limitation is in the composers ability to create music. I hope you enjoy listening to the hours of music that were composed for the game!"

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Except Sony is often blamed for kicking Sega out of the console market (though this incident probably had a lot to do with it as well…)

Didn't Luis say he had access to the game? (though I don't think he ever said it was on real hardware…)
    I'd forgot about Luis mentioning he'd accessed it via an emulator. So that's at least something!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    At least at one point the DSP was a Texas Instruments TMS320VC5501 (http://www.ti.com/product/TMS320VC5501).

I looked at the prices awhile back and they sell for under $10, depending on volume. For a game that had hundreds if not thousands of pre-orders it gets down to $5-7, not including the 2MB of RAM he wanted to have on the cart.

Now, what do you suppose costs less? An off the shelf DSP? Or programming an FPGA from scratch?
    I think maybe he realized the DSP didn't behave exactly as the emulator, so he decided to go with the FPGA so there's at least a chance it can match the modified Gens that actually runs the game. That sounds like a tough job for someone who majored in electronics engineering, let alone a guy who studied graphic design!

Edit: I found the perfect Datenmeister! https://www.intel.com/content/www/us.../overview.html
    A little expensive, but this SoC can run Windows 10 and Gens 2.14! It even has WiFi for the all-important DLC that everyone asked for.
    Agree. I was joking on that. Probably he made the datensemi.com because he plan to scratch the ic surface to hide the actual part. And probably also cover it with an epoxy gunk, like in Pier Solar. He still a very paranoid guy.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

AggroSky, thanks for clearing that up, I misconstrued a previous post.

I read your interview actually, was it around the PS2 era if I remember correctly?

What is an “EXS-VI”? From what I recall of the discussion in this thread at the time of this interview, no one knows, is that correct? Given that it allows for “Expanded Sprites Mode VI” (?), it seems rather important. And what's “IPL tech"?
    -Meu blog sobre Mega Drive/Genesis.
    - no youtube.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
    What is an “EXS-VI”? From what I recall of the discussion in this thread at the time of this interview, no one knows, is that correct? Given that it allows for “Expanded Sprites Mode VI” (?), it seems rather important. And what's “IPL tech"?
    It's all Hypebole

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    Agree. I was joking on that. Probably he made the datensemi.com because he plan to scratch the ic surface to hide the actual part. And probably also cover it with an epoxy gunk, like in Pier Solar. He still a very paranoid guy.
    You hit the nail on the head -- he was going to make it look like a custom chip for marketing purposes and presumably to make it less likely to be bootlegged.

Quote Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
    The new blast processing.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    Part 1 of my paprium Documentary will go live in 15 minutes:
    That's great stuff, mate. Congratulations on your work, it turned out really well and gave much more insights into not only Paprium, but WM as well. I'm eagerly awaiting for the 2nd part. How many do you plan to make?

WCPO Agent

One thing that strikes me in stika's documentary is how Watermelon Games went from being a group of artisans who put their heart and soul into a project to a literal factory staffed with "professionals". Creating media, whether it's a book, music, movie, game etc is not simply a series of tasks that can be contracted out to the lowest bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by netpredakonn View Post
    That's great stuff, mate. Congratulations on your work, it turned out really well and gave much more insights into not only Paprium, but WM as well. I'm eagerly awaiting for the 2nd part. How many do you plan to make?
    Thank you! I'm currently aiming for three parts.
    Please check out my YouTube channel

a.k.a. ManuLöwe Sports Talker Ramsis's Avatar

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by XGoldenboyX View Post
    Well I can tell you guys that Fonzie is well alive and fully aware of what’s being said and not very happy about It. He said regardless of what people say or think atm he intends to release the game.
    (...)
    The man himself told me.
    Great, then here's a message back to the man himself™, aka Moustachio, aka Fonzie, aka G. Godde/Voltnov:

Regardless of what people say or think atm, I don't believe your lies anymore (nor ever again), so just GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK, even though it wasn't all that much. (order_46898, Artikelnr. h01IQWLDzZKoUyWoiFMu86UwK6d1aVmP, order was placed on March 15, 2017, refund was asked for countless times)

Calling you out officially. For the last time. Okay, Fonzie? JUST REFUND ME. Thanks in advance!

And feel free to be "not very happy" for the rest of your life, as I couldn't care less.

JUST REFUND ME, OKAY??

*Roaring Ramsis over & out*
    I'm currently selling my sealed copy of Pier Solar (EUR, first print): eBay link

Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    Thank you! I'm currently aiming for three parts.
    I just watched the first part, I'm impressed. I can see that you've put a lot of work into it, and I look forward to the next two parts.

Documentary update:

Part 2 is currently at the video editing phase, I've reached the 9minute and 20 second mark. Planing for it to be 30 minutes long just its predecessor.

Part 2 of my paprium documentary is 95% done. Currently sending it to everyone I've interviewed to fact-check.

People interviewed:

- Tulio
    - Lion
    - Zebbe
    - Tiido
    - Jorge Candeias

Manufacturing should be starting soon no?

Thread Information