Quantcast

Page 679 of 680 FirstFirst ... 179579629669675676677678679680 LastLast
Results 10,171 to 10,185 of 10190

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulioAdriano View Post
    Wait a second! Project Y was supposed to be a Post-Apocalyptic Beat 'em Up + RPG, right? So probably he's waiting for the apocalypse to happen first, then it will all make sense.
    Oh that Fonzie, always skimping out on the paid ads. hitchhiking on an actual free apocalypse.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Implying the apocalypse wasn't the paid ad.

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Implying the apocalypse wasn't the paid ad.
    Fonzie's working from China
    The virus came from China
    The game is about an apocalypse
    Fonzie.. made COVID-19!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Fonzie.. made COVID-19
    No way... You mean he actually released something?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One RvR's Avatar

^Zing!

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    I've been saying this for a while. Even if it came out, it's missed its window entirely. I mean, if it comes out, great. If not, I'd love my money back, so I could give it directly to Bitmap Bureau, to fund whatever they'll undoubtably finish. I just want this to be over.
    Even 8 years ago I wasn't sold on a beat 'em up as the best choice for an indie title. A turn-based RPG was a great idea because it was a genre that hadn't seen enough titles on the Genesis and presumably easier from a technical standpoint.

There are already several good beat 'em ups on the Genesis (not the least of which being SoR2) so the game had to look and play near perfectly to stand out. A lot of people have forgotten but one of the reasons beat 'em ups fell out of favor is that many of them become very repetitive, with lots of enemies that are just palette swaps of the ones you fought before. Combine that with Fonzie's desire to use huge sprites that look like they came from Capcom or SNK arcade boards along with an enhanced soundtrack and you have the perfect storm of impossible design choices.

Realistically there was little chance of Paprium ever living up to the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    A lot of people have forgotten but one of the reasons beat 'em ups fell out of favor is that many of them become very repetitive,.
    As if jrpgs weren't 10x worse in this aspect lol.

At least RPGs have the plot to distract you (so much that it's perfectly possible for the story to carry the whole game even if the actual gameplay is a drag… which is something they share with many tabletop RPGs, actually). On the other hand they're also probably one of the most resource consuming games to make (precisely because of how big they can get).

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    At least RPGs have the plot to distract you (so much that it's perfectly possible for the story to carry the whole game even if the actual gameplay is a drag… which is something they share with many tabletop RPGs, actually). On the other hand they're also probably one of the most resource consuming games to make (precisely because of how big they can get).
    Tabletop RPG's (and maybe some cRPG as well) selling point is the interpretation, creativity, improvisation and illusion of freedom they allow moreso than the story (these for me also count as "gameplay"), and that is pretty much lost in most jRPGs leaving you with a fairly static, passive and repetitive experience, you don't even role-play that much in them.
    Last edited by Vludi; 03-27-2020 at 01:19 AM.

Yeah but the roleplaying aspect of them is precisely what builds up the story. The problem is that you can't really do that in a computer, and the only thing left is the monotonous tedious battle aspect which is there only to impose a limit on the roleplaying in the first place (because it's not fun if everybody is a god who cumberstomps everything :​v). JRPGs eventually evolved to fill in the gap with storytelling (albeit a fixed script this time), while WRPGs… they try to give you as many customizable stats as possible and inevitably hit a wall.

I wonder if somebody will eventually make a RPG without battles and focus entirely on storytelling. I mean, OK, at that point it isn't much different from an adventure game, but I suppose the controls and interface would still be different enough to be considered its own thing.

I wonder if somebody will eventually make a RPG without battles and focus entirely on storytelling.
    I'd like that, something like Chrono Trigger but no battles just story.

Of course the difference is about 200 hours of gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I'd like that, something like Chrono Trigger but no battles just story.

Of course the difference is about 200 hours of gameplay.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/6..._7_7_151_150_1

More like Baldur's Gate instead of Chrono Trigger, but same idea.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

RPG without battles, isn't that Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing?

Yeah but the roleplaying aspect of them is precisely what builds up the story. The problem is that you can't really do that in a computer, and the only thing left is the monotonous tedious battle aspect which is there only to impose a limit on the roleplaying in the first place (because it's not fun if everybody is a god who cumberstomps everything :​v). JRPGs eventually evolved to fill in the gap with storytelling (albeit a fixed script this time), while WRPGs… they try to give you as many customizable stats as possible and inevitably hit a wall.
    Again what roleplay? in jRPGs you have fixed options most of the time which is either basic combat or cutscenes, they are closer to visual novels than RPGs. If anything it's cRPGs the ones that translated the freedom of Tabletop RPGs better to video games, allowing more agency, varied approaches and interactions. "Good jrpgs" I can think of focus on hybrid gameplay mechanics rather than tryhard stories, they still aren't that much about roleplaying but at least they are good games.
    Last edited by Vludi; 03-28-2020 at 01:19 AM.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Vludi View Post
    As if jrpgs weren't 10x worse in this aspect lol.
    LOL. You have a point there. At least in RPGs things change over time, your characters level up, or you gain new items and magic, or there's story progression etc. One of the issues with Pier Solar was that it seemed like I was constantly seeing the same enemies, even in the same formations. I would prefer an RPG with no random encounters at all, just give me a some good battles and no grinding whatsoever. Get through it in a few hours just like reading a book. I think a lot of developers try to stretch their games out to make them longer but I don't think that's necessarily a positive.

Thread Information