Quantcast

Page 294 of 691 FirstFirst ... 194244284290291292293294295296297298304344394 ... LastLast
Results 4,396 to 4,410 of 10357

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar

There should be absolutely no duplicated code or art in this game. Period. I can vouch for it even though I had absolutely zero access to the engine. Fonzie is too proud to use anything existing. He has a compulsion for creating everything he uses. See MGF for example.

As for the game mimicking SOR/FF, it's only natural. You get inspired by great successes. That said, inspiration is far from straight copy the aforementioned games.

Paprium is brand new. It's code is brand new. Music is brand new. Art is brand new. And if in the end its gameplay flows like SOR2/SOR3, I'll be very happy because those games are great.

I honestly would be much more worried about it NOT being/flowing like a SOR/FF game.

These logos have links on them! Click! Click!

There's also the part that, really, most good beat'em-ups are pretty similar in this sense. I bet that if it was on the SNES, we'd be comparing it to Final Fight instead. Also to be blunt, the only thing that I ever found similar to SOR (and that isn't generic to the genre in general) is the HUD font, and it's not exactly hard to end up with something similar either (on purpose or by accident).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher AggroSky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulioAdriano View Post
    There should be absolutely no duplicated code or art in this game. Period. I can vouch for it even though I had absolutely zero access to the engine. Fonzie is too proud to use anything existing. He has a compulsion for creating everything he uses. See MGF for example.

As for the game mimicking SOR/FF, it's only natural. You get inspired by great successes. That said, inspiration is far from straight copy the aforementioned games.

Paprium is brand new. It's code is brand new. Music is brand new. Art is brand new. And if in the end its gameplay flows like SOR2/SOR3, I'll be very happy because those games are great.

I honestly would be much more worried about it NOT being/flowing like a SOR/FF game.
    ^^^

Exactly! If it plays like a slightly more complex version of SoR2 or 3 (which I suspect it will), I'll be happy.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

I'll double vouch with Tulio that Fonz wouldn't copy anything for a second. During Pier Solar there were times when he'd monitor hired sprite artists output to make sure they weren't lifting and modifying old genny sprites on the sly.

I'd also like to add that just because I've seen the trailer and it looks amazing. I'm still pissed that it's taken 4 years to get a proper trailer and release date having invested a lot of money. I'd still have preferred regular updates!
    Last edited by matteus; 03-31-2017 at 04:46 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by AggroSky View Post
    I see what you are saying Barone. There are a lot of people that just drop in from time to time who know little to nothing about the topic at hand. That can be kind of annoying... But as long as they buy the game...
    I know little about the topic
    But I love how it looks in the video. Looks awesome, better than any beatemup on the system.

Level 1 Blast Processor Road Rasher

Speaking from experience, there would be absolutely nothing of value worth copying from Streets of Rage (or any other game) code, even if he had full access to the original source. Fonzie wrote an engine which already has everything he needs to produce a finished game (because he's already released one) that takes care of everything the MD is capable of - map streaming, multi-sprite manipulation, animation, physics, audio, raster effects, game state, decompression, FMV playback, all the tiny little utilities that add up over time, plus bug fixing and optimisation. Building game code on top of that would have to be very bespoke, and nothing could really be leveraged from any other games at that point.

Leveraging ideas and overall "feel" is another story, but that's just games development, and is also precisely the reason why we've all been spamming that pre-order button faster than that Test Your Might minigame in Mortal Kombat.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

While everyone here speculates about the similarities to Streets of Rage, I spoke with a bunch of knowledgeable people on the internet and they assure me that WM has stolen code from Fatman aka Slaughter Sport to implement in their game. If you look closely at the footage we have there are many things that hint at it such as the post-apocalyptic setting, the mohawk lady and the usage of the color purple in some backgrounds.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 03-31-2017 at 07:02 AM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Raging in the Streets

Well, if you're going to steal, you steal from the best.

And Slaughter Sport is the best.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Yep, those Y Signal looking dudes are a trope by this stage, as is anything else that looks vaguely familiar, and that's fine by me. I expect them to have a sliding kick and everything. Admittedly the Shiva flaming kick guy shown in the early screenshots could be interpreted as a step too far but even that didn't bother me personally, and it may not have made it in the final game anyway.

And oh yeah, I hear WM is working with Razor Soft to get Mondu and Webra in the game as unlockables

Gromble of pirates...? Outrunner Bramsworth's Avatar

I think a hit a nerve with Barone since that "The guys who made Pier Solar..." line was basically in my post.

I rarely post here these days so while I may in fact be a filthy casual, I think defending WM makes more sense than letting someone just make continuous posts basically asking what if WM stole code, which is really pointless to be adding to the convo since, well, it adds nothing and is baseless. Surely that's more childish?

Anyway, I wonder how many orders WM is taking this time around. With how many views that trailer got, I was expecting them to be sold out by now.
    I'm Pro A'can

Atleast 1989 are sold that we know for sure. No telling how big the number is on the limited edition.

Quote Originally Posted by zredgemz View Post
    Atleast 1989 are sold that we know for sure. No telling how big the number is on the limited edition.
    Holy sh*t. I might try to see what would happen to a game of ours if it is published by WM.

Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar

I just hope I can build a community as passionate as this for 2Dream.

These logos have links on them! Click! Click!

That is a combination of both the classic and limited edition, the manga came with the first 1988 copies sold but all investor edition's have a copy without taking away from that number.

WaterMelon Road Rasher XGoldenboyX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    While everyone here speculates about the similarities to Streets of Rage, I spoke with a bunch of knowledgeable people on the internet and they assure me that WM has stolen code from Fatman aka Slaughter Sport to implement in their game. If you look closely at the footage we have there are many things that hint at it such as the post-apocalyptic setting, the mohawk lady and the usage of the color purple in some backgrounds.

There is no similarities to SOR2 whats so ever except being a Beat em UP... well maybe some influences.. I'd be lying I was influenced by manny other beat em up's when creating our characters and Japanese Anime from the 90's !!!

As for the gameplay questions, I have always played allot of Beat em upps, some of my Fav's are SOF2, Final Fight, Cadilacs and Dinausaurs, Punisher, Tuttles in time and manny others .. SO until then tweaking is ahead !

Thread Information