Quantcast

Thread: What's a Smash Controller go for now?

Default What's a Smash Controller go for now? Photos Added

I've been clearing out a ton of my old stuff for a bit of Fall cleaning, and I came across a NIB Smash Controller. I haven't seen one for sale for close to a decade, so I was wondering what the market was like for one in 2020.

It's the American version for Whac-a-Critter and has the purple and yellow box with Innovation at the top.

Thanks folks!

Photos can be found here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RmiVjV2v5wdduwEe6
    Last edited by MrMark0673; 09-09-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Uuh, if you're asking for how much money it goes, it probably should go in Sonic's Bazaar (yes, I know I should have made the comment with the DS-16 thread too, I'm just thinking about it now).

If you're asking what use is there for the Smash Controller… no idea. It was only ever used for one game I think. I admit I never reverse engineered one so I don't know how to use it in homebrew (though the game in question also works with D-pad+A from what I remember, so I wouldn't be surprised if it works as a glorified controller — but that's just a guess).

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Uuh, if you're asking for how much money it goes, it probably should go in Sonic's Bazaar (yes, I know I should have made the comment with the DS-16 thread too, I'm just thinking about it now).

If you're asking what use is there for the Smash Controller… no idea. It was only ever used for one game I think. I admit I never reverse engineered one so I don't know how to use it in homebrew (though the game in question also works with D-pad+A from what I remember, so I wouldn't be surprised if it works as a glorified controller — but that's just a guess).
    My apologies if it is in the wrong forum. I didn't see a price check thread anywhere, and it's such an obscure peripheral I assumed this would be the best place for it.

If a mod thinks this belongs elsewhere, by all means, please move it.

To answer your use question, it was only ever used for Whac-a-Critter in the US (same game as Mallet Legend in Taiwan). I owned a complete Outback Joey set years back and it reminds me a lot of that (incredibly obscure, not necessarily fun, etc). As I said before, I haven't seen one change hands in close to 10 years, so I wasn't sure if there was a ballpark price point for one now.

Thanks for the response!

Edit to add: This old Sega 16 article questions the existence of the controller at all (for a point of rarity reference) and that was in 2008
    https://www.sega-16.com/2008/11/mall...hac-a-critter/

I bought one ~8 years ago on Segaage forum (RIP) from a wellknown user there called Molotovwars. I don't remember how much I paid then but it was something around $120 if memory doesn't trick me.

last one I saw sold for ~$80

Raistlin: Yeah, I got mine in 2012 after a tip on SegaAge. As far as I can remember, a small handful showed up on Amazon and were quickly snatched up. Haven't seen or heard almost anything about them since that time.

ZZ Badnusty: Any rough idea when you saw it exchange hands?

Really appreciate the help guys. Doesn't appear to be a huge market for these, but they also still seem to be very tough to track down.

Thread Information