Quantcast

Page 506 of 742 FirstFirst ... 6406456496502503504505506507508509510516556606 ... LastLast
Results 7,576 to 7,590 of 11121

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Outrunner

I’m not attempting to be an apologist here - the ‘launch’ party was a complete sham and a waste of funds - but it feels like antipathy towards Fonzie is causing revisionist opinions of Pier Solar. I love that game - it’s not perfect by any means - but it was groundbreaking in terms of post-humus development on the Mega Drive. Without it we might not being seeing the likes of Tanglewood, Xeno Crisis, and, er, Paprium.

I think it deserves more respect than some people are willing to give it right now.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    I’m not attempting to be an apologist here - the ‘launch’ party was a complete sham and a waste of funds - but it feels like antipathy towards Fonzie is causing revisionist opinions of Pier Solar. I love that game - it’s not perfect by any means - but it was groundbreaking in terms of post-humus development on the Mega Drive. Without it we might not being seeing the likes of Tanglewood, Xeno Crisis, and, er, Paprium.

I think it deserves more respect than some people are willing to give it right now.
    I never heard of the guy til I saw this topic a couple days ago so the game has always been crap to me. No need for revisionism when I have no feelings towards a guy I just barely heard of. In fact a couple hours ago booted the game up just to see if what I remembered was correct. It was.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

oh no how could this have happened again, who could possibly have predicted this

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    oh right

Wildside Expert

My only words are...

O
    V
    E
    R
    L I E S

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I would hope he wouldn't do that. To say he's going to deliver on something, not do so, and then act like nothing has happened. That would not be cool at all...
    Unfortunately it could happen quite easily.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by zredgemz View Post
    Taken from the mgf.

Someone posted pictures of the manual...

The mega wire will conect to the magical game factory account... will have high scores, DLC purchased with gems, and update function (in the system update they hint about a possible netplay).

http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en...27823/?from=40
    Thanks, I eventually managed to find the link to the google drive account with manual pictures on MGF board https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...sxbu9CSQtGPsUz

For those interested (and not afraid being spoiled), there are a lot of interesting bits in the investor manual about the hardware development (especially the 'round table' , 'software dev' and 'cartridge' ones) although I'm not sure how accurate these info are in regard to actual design (there are even words from Tulio talking about 'Datenmeister' in there !) but it confirms that the DSP is actually used for extra PCM sound channels AND for data decompression. It does not seem there are any specific anti-piracy measure implemented, the fact you need to emulate that DSP chip to get the game properly working (that is, with sound and enemies to fight if that youtube video is actually what happens when the chip is not there) is apparently enough to encourage people to buy the real game instead.

I could not find any mention of the Sega-CD specific feature in the manual though but maybe I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    It seems silly to use a decompression chip for non-sound assets when it's supposed to be an 80 meg game. If it's another anti-piracy measure it only shows how paranoid he is and what his priorities are.
    Even official Mega Drive games uses compressed graphics, you have to realize that just because the ROM size looks big to you, it does not mean it can hold all needed data uncompressed. Since I never coded a MD game, I have no idea exactly what size we are talking about but the actual data size might actually be 4x larger than the ROM size, maybe more if WM goal was to compete with Neo Geo games details.
    Now, in official Mega Drive games, the decompression is done in RAM by the main CPU but if you are counting CPU cycles and need every single ones to optimize your game and you are also optimizing work RAM usage, it does not seem silly to use the processing power and extra RAM of your DSP to do that instead. At least, it sounds much more reasonable to me than embedding 512MB of ROM to keep all data uncompressed and having to design a more complicated mapper around that to bypass Mega Drive accessible ROM size limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    That sounds very likely especially when you have to develop your game entirely in an emulator because your custom hardware doesn't exist yet.
    Any other MD developer would have swallowed their pride by now and come here or Spritesmind looking for help.
    According to above investor manual pictures, Jorge Nuno and Tiido from Spritesmind were involved at some point in the hardware design so I'm pretty sure he received all the help he needed and knew where to ask for it.
    Now, are these people still working with him and helping him with on-going hardware issues ? I dont know...
    Last edited by Eke-Eke; 10-29-2018 at 06:41 AM.

I don't want to defend what's happening with Paprium but equally I think there is some explanation behind what's going on. In the early days of working with Fonz I noticed traits similar but not the same to my own, I have OCD. I'm 99.9% sure Fonz has Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD). Just look up the symptoms and you'll see lots of similarities with what's gone on in this project.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ob...ality-disorder

https://psychcentral.com/disorders/o...lity-disorder/

The frugalness may not fit perfectly but if you've ever tried to negotiate with him you'll realise he's pretty hard to get payment out of.

Gromble of pirates...? Outrunner Bramsworth's Avatar

That booklet's surprisingly pretty sparse with MegaWire info. I'll be curious to know how much support that thing will even get considering how long it's taking just to even get the game out. Unless all the DLC content was made ahead of time I can't imagine whose going to be pumping it out after release since most bridges seem to have been burned at this point.
    I'm Pro A'can

Quote Originally Posted by Bramsworth View Post
    That booklet's surprisingly pretty sparse with MegaWire info. I'll be curious to know how much support that thing will even get considering how long it's taking just to even get the game out. Unless all the DLC content was made ahead of time I can't imagine whose going to be pumping it out after release since most bridges seem to have been burned at this point.
    It's sparse because it has its own booklet and so does the arcade stick.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

For information, it 's in French, but some explanations

Bonjour c'est Camille Rougelot, Community Manager de Watermelon Games.

Beaucoup de choses fausses ont été dites sur les forums et réseaux sociaux, notamment que le jeu ne serai pas fini.
    Cela est faux, le jeu est bien terminé et un mail de confirmation pour livrer les premiers acheteurs sera, comme prévu, envoyé dans les semaines qui suivent.
    La livraison des commandes est prévue pour courant décembre 2018 (il n'y aura aucun retard ni report).
    Nous comprenons la frustration des joueurs qui n'ont pas pu jouer au jeu lors de la soirée que nous avons organisé.
    Cependant les cartouches n'étant pas encore toutes produites et les problèmes avec Paypal non résolus, nous ne pouvions pas nous permettre la distribution du jeu ni de spoiler le jeu lors de l’événement. L’événement était pour fêter le 30ème anniversaire de la megadrive, nous avons pensé que présenter un peu le jeu en avant première serai une bonne idée pour faire patienter. C'est pourquoi une ancienne version beta du jeu a été montrée afin de permettre de découvrir le jeu sans spoiler les acheteurs n'ayant pas pu se déplacer.
    Nous rassurons les acheteurs que les bugs visibles lors de l'événement ne sont pas présent dans le jeu final.
    Un post sera fait dans les prochaines semaines sur facebook pour annoncer l'envoi des mails pour la demande de l'adresse pour l'envoi.
    Pour les personnes souhaitant malgré tout un remboursement, rapprochez-vous du service client : https://www.magicalgamefactory.com/e...act-support_5/

WM

Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert tokay's Avatar

[edit] I remove the translation of this fake.
    Last edited by tokay; 10-30-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Where was this posted?

Wildside Expert

Camille also posted this on the French gamopat board. What is strange is that I read Fonzie had responded during the party that he needed an investor to finish the manufacture... Maybe for new copies?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

OK, I can't know if this is true or not.

But, no. A generic forum is not the right place where release such kind of informations.
    There is an official site, with an official blog, and they can also send an email to every customer.

So, no. This still the wrong way to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    I put money towards some shit on KS. Never got results. Live and learn and move on. 6 years later it's time to move on. If you helped make Pier Solar then look into a new career because game design is not your thing. One of the worst designed RPGs I ever had to play. Nice music at least. Sorry not up to full speed on this game on Genesis other than it has Watermelons mark on it. Had money invested in Pier Solar and it sucked. As soon as this was announced I got a little excited then saw WM's mark on it and knew right then this is not something to give money to. One of my friends was never sent his Dreamcast copy of Pier Solar. They took his money and ran. He stopped being angry once he played the game on Wii U because like me he hated it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    OK, I can't know if this is true or not.

But, no. A generic forum is not the right place where release such kind of informations.
    There is an official site, with an official blog, and they can also send an email to every customer.

So, no. This still the wrong way to do this.
    The problem is it's a contradiction of everything said before the event.

Thread Information