Quantcast

Page 700 of 727 FirstFirst ... 200600650690696697698699700701702703704710 ... LastLast
Results 10,486 to 10,500 of 10901

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

Just in case someone missed the "release" party stuff, there you have:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...hlLorNWusGFb2s

Wildside Expert

In 2012, there was a successful ks for pier solar hd, which came out in 2014 on modern platforms. In the end, aside from the original piersolar on md, it is the only game which was completed and it was handled by tulio, chui, myself and a couple other people. Alongside paprium, there was project n also known as alfred and orpheus for the snes which was most likely also left unfinished (I saw a video of it in 2015 and it was beta at best) and vixen 357 remake for which I was the character designer, fmv and art director. Assets and character art for it were completed as soon as 2015 as well as a trailer I had created. (This was way before paprium trailer btw.)

I have been doing pixel art for 15 years and handdrawn animation for almost 20 years and I can tell creating character assets for a game like paprium doesnt take more than 1 or 2 years for an experienced fulltime pixel artist (the sprite shading in paprium isnt complex like snk neogeo games but more like cartoon shading). From what I saw since 2014, the people who have created the sprites of paprium aren't experienced pixel artists or animators considering some of the bad animation keyframes and characters strange physical disproportions from one frame to another, but let's say the job was done. With all the time which passed, there was the opportunity to recreate all the game sprites twice or even thrice, so the fact the game's production is still in limbo and no news have been given is upsetting to say the least.

Back in the 90s, some games were average looking but the fact they were created with a sense of urgency, they were considered as nice games overall and at least existed for what they are.
    Last edited by Arm; 07-12-2020 at 03:14 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arm View Post
    From what I saw since 2014, the people who have created the sprites of paprium aren't experienced pixel artists or animators considering some of the bad animation keyframes and characters strange physical disproportions from one frame to another, but let's say the job was done.
    That announcer, singer or whatever with the mic is the worst offender, I think.

Wildside Expert

Indeed, hehe. In terms of graphics or art direction, paprium doesn't remind me at all of capcom games like final fight or punisher which were more realistic. Actually it could be called the combatribes 2 or some games from technos which featured eccentric looking characters whose lower part of the body was smaller than the upper part. Also the green giant in paprium reminds me of a character from combatribes holding a beam.
    https://www.mobygames.com/images/sho...attle-beat.png
    Last edited by Arm; 07-12-2020 at 02:57 PM.

I always assumed that was on purpose (・・)

Though I admit some shading choices are… questionable (like the green pixels on the skin in that sprite). I think it was supposed to go with the whole neon style of the game, but yikes sometimes it just backfires.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I just want a refund, I don't want to wake up anymore and see the Paprium folder in my email to remind me of how I invested in this crap yeaaaaaaars ago.
    Exactly this. I don't care about the 50 bucks I paid in 2012 but seeing this folder in the mails remembers me every single day that something isn't finished and I was ripped off. I would gladly donate the full refund to a nonprofit organisation just to loose this folder knowing there isn't any unfinished Paprium stuff in my life anymore.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Eazy's Avatar

I remember almost shelling out for that arcade stick offer years back. I dont much care for the refund but I wonder who over theres keeping track of the number of preorders. I feel forgotten. Not like I expect a game at this point but hey take my money never hear from you again is a straight scam in most regards.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I always assumed that was on purpose (・・)

Though I admit some shading choices are… questionable (like the green pixels on the skin in that sprite). I think it was supposed to go with the whole neon style of the game, but yikes sometimes it just backfires.
    The bgs and colors are nice given the game settings. But there are inconsistencies when it comes to sprite proportions/animations.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Arm View Post
    The bgs and colors are nice given the game settings. But there are inconsistencies when it comes to sprite proportions/animations.
    Inconsistent is the best word to describe it. The BGs are some of the most detailed I've seen in any homebrew. Must use up a ton of space on the cart. The sprites look good at times but once they start moving the animation is not that smooth and like you mentioned the proportions are off, almost as if they were drawn by different people.

It's hard to tell how much was intentional versus outsourcing the artwork or running out of VRAM/cart space.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I guess Fonzie contacted Joe and told/showed him something to keep him from blasting the game?
    Pfff I wish! I haven't had any contact with him.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

I don't know what's worse, the cognitive dissonance or the apologists who think that it's OK for a "company" to disappear with what is in some cases hundreds of dollars per person for years. This isn't even counting the poor souls that backed whatever "Project N" was supposed to be.

Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert tokay's Avatar

ProjectN was supposed to be an action-RPG where you play Orpheus accompanied by his dog Alfred.
    You would travel from a place to another using the moon itself, which would show "next stop is XYZ".
    Dog's style would be different based on the area you visit.
    Allegedly, its development stopped when dev stopped being paid.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tokay View Post
    ProjectN was supposed to be an action-RPG where you play Orpheus accompanied by his dog Alfred. (...) Dog's style would be different based on the area you visit.
    Presented like that, it sounds like a Secret of Evermore rip-off.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker jymannob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    Presented like that, it sounds like a Secret of Evermore rip-off.
    ah ah ! me too

Spoiler alert: the dog dies, then a new one takes its place immediately.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thread Information