Quantcast

Page 102 of 680 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202602 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 10190

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

A Newsletter had been sent to the Investissors. They must choose their "Baptism of fire ennemy nickname" before the 10th september. 6 characters maximum : http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en..._6987/?from=30. By default, it will be the same as their Magical Game Factory account nickname.

Here is the complete newsletter if anyone is interested, they show a bit of the sprites.

http://i.imgur.com/GzNSglx.png

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Can't say I'm particularly happy about the vertical dithering, but it also doesn't look too bad. I'll have to see a full screenshot to judge, reminds me of Comix Zone.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Can't say I'm particularly happy about the vertical dithering, but it also doesn't look too bad. I'll have to see a full screenshot to judge, reminds me of Comix Zone.
    same here... the pixel art is very good with a nice set of colors and details. i didn't see a reason for using alot of vertical dirthering...
    another FFCD no, please god no!

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by smurdd View Post
    Here is the complete newsletter if anyone is interested, they show a bit of the sprites.

http://i.imgur.com/GzNSglx.png
    Thank you.

So preorders shouldn't be too far away...

EDIT:
    Vertical dithering is a bit of a letdown.

Hero of Algol

Well, I'll advocate WM this time.

Firstly, I like the idea that they care about people playing MD games on CRT SDTVs rather than Full HD crap.

Secondly, they managed to deliver some very nice shading, along with a distinctive art style, using just a few colors (shades). IMO it indicates that they're targeting something with lots of stuff on screen and so they needed to save palette choices as much as possible.

I really prefer that than having tons and tons of enemies with repeated colors and/or using lame palette swaps, like in SOR2.
    Also, it isn't easy to design the whole game art around that; it's a lot more complicated to make the shading "work" with just a few colors but, at the same time, it fits well the limited Mega Drive palette since the "gap" from one color tone to the next brighter/darker tone is too big in some cases, especially when you're using stuff like orange or light brown tones.
    And you'll also "produce" some color tones which the MD's palette simply doesn't have.

I don't mind dithering when it's well done and has a reasonable purpose; Gunstar Heroes uses the same sort of dithering IIRC and I think everyone here agrees that GH is one of the best looking games on the system.

I took the original shot and applied a filter to simulate how it should look when using composhit on a CRT SDTV:

Original

Blurred

It looks great IMO.
    Last edited by Barone; 09-04-2014 at 12:38 PM.

This mutant's model looks like a fighter of Ethernal Champions, on the level of details.

a.k.a. hombreimaginario Outrunner synapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Secondly, they managed to deliver some very nice shading, along with a distinctive art style, using just a few colors (shades). IMO it indicates that they're targeting something with lots of stuff on screen and so they needed to save palette choices as much as possible.

I really prefer that than having tons and tons of enemies with repeated colors and/or using lame palette swaps, like in SOR2.
    Agreed and agreed.

I'm just happy to get a news letter about what's going on. Seeing some pixel art makes me happy. I was really hoping they would reveal what the other extras were that they are going to have for sale. Alas, I will keep my eyes open.

That sprite definitely looks western-developed. Like from Sega of America or something.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    That sprite definitely looks western-developed. Like from Sega of America or something.
    yeah it looks like a comic style sprite and looks awful, the neo geo was the only machine that really could achieve a comic style / hand drawn

Quote Originally Posted by Modelboard4 View Post
    yeah it looks like a comic style sprite and looks awful, the neo geo was the only machine that really could achieve a comic style / hand drawn
    Are you serious or are you just being sarcastic?

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    Are you serious or are you just being sarcastic?
    it looks terrible, the megadrive did not have enough colors to make something comic style or hand drawn look the business, take a look at x men on the MD/GEN and x men on the snes, the SNES looks a lot more like the cartoon, the MD had its strengths but it struggled with certain styles of games, elternal champions looked awful and I had the game as a kid

Quote Originally Posted by Modelboard4 View Post
    it looks terrible, the megadrive did not have enough colors to make something comic style or hand drawn look the business, take a look at x men on the MD/GEN and x men on the snes, the SNES looks a lot more like the cartoon, the MD had its strengths but it struggled with certain styles of games, elternal champions looked awful and I had the game as a kid
    Yeah, you're right.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    Yeah, you're right.
    it looks good for the MD I admit that, if the 32x had a version then it would have looked perfect

Thread Information