Quantcast

Page 485 of 712 FirstFirst ... 385435475481482483484485486487488489495535585 ... LastLast
Results 7,261 to 7,275 of 10674

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    As cool as this sounds, making a game for the Genesis that would be financially unfeasible during the Genesis' lifecycle seems like you're not making a Genesis game...

It's different with chips that were in Genesis/SNES games during the 4th Gen era, as those challenges were taken in their time. But making a Genesis game that offloads most/or lots of the work to a separate component seems like we're sort of cheating.

I freaking love the idea, as we can have stuff that would otherwise never exist on the console, but it's definitely a different kind of thing. It's Genesis game development +...

I like it, but I also like new games, that could totally have existed during the consoles actual lifecycle. Games that have authentic era-specific feasibility are kinda neat too. Devs have to work within similar boundaries. For example, I wouldn't want to compare SoR2 to Paprium, as the latter had access to lots more utilities, tools, and options.

I'm certainly in support of both approaches, but it definitely feels like Genesis +...
    I posted something similar when I first saw the specs of the DSP, a 300 MHz TI chip (which may or may not have been changed since then). To me part of the fun of new games for retro consoles is seeing what people can do with the limited resources of that time. Custom chips were certainly part of the 16-bit era but if the game is running entirely on a modern processor and outputting finished frames then I don't see the point, you might as well just release it on Steam.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

If I had stopped shaving when that gems scam was first started I'd have had a mighty fine Santa Clause beard by now.

I'm pretty sure I'm OK with Genesis +.

But I do get what you guys are saying that it's a little bit like cheating and sorta defeats the purpose of putting a game on a Genesis.

But even with modern tech I can't help but feel that enough of the game will still be tied to the hardware's limitations and end up feeling enough like a Genesis game.

What if the only modern advantage used was capacity? So a game might look and feel very authentic of the era but be much longer because there's more room for more game? Still cheating too much?

Where would be a good place to draw the line?

Tanglewood sounds like it's landing right in the super authentic range. It has just one ROM of the max size the Genesis can handle without needing a mapper. That's less tech than what a lot of original games had, right?
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm OK with Genesis +.

But I do get what you guys are saying that it's a little bit like cheating and sorta defeats the purpose of putting a game on a Genesis.

But even with modern tech I can't help but feel that enough of the game will still be tied to the hardware's limitations and end up feeling enough like a Genesis game.

What if the only modern advantage used was capacity? So a game might look and feel very authentic of the era but be much longer because there's more room for more game? Still cheating too much?

Where would be a good place to draw the line?

Tanglewood sounds like it's landing right in the super authentic range. It has just one ROM of the max size the Genesis can handle without needing a mapper. That's less tech than what a lot of original games had, right?
    Size is less of an issue in my opinion, the hardware can address fairly large ROMs plus there was already a CD add-on back in the day for more storage capacity. The translucency is less authentic because the hardware does not support that at all. You could fake it with dithering, palette changes or S/H but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

If you are going to use a modern CPU why stop there? Why not put a whole micro PC in the cart, HDMI output and Bluetooth for the controllers?

a.k.a. ManuLöwe Sports Talker Ramsis's Avatar

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by otobo View Post
    These could just be screen photos taken of a video, at slower shutter speed than the sprite moves (when hit) or background shake, which would explain the transparencies and blurs...
    Sadly less colours show now than in last year's pictures, so apart from sprite size and nice graphical style overall, I don't expect such a boost visually and in terms of processing power.
    If the custom chip takes care of sound processing, that saves CPU time; maybe it also decompresses data as rumoured, but that's probably the extent of it.
    Still expecting a nice-looking and sounding beat'em'up with tons of levels to explore, that's the main thing.
    Yeah seeing the video in motion it does look pretty good.

Not sure if it was me trying to edit, but my post is gone, so thanks Axel for quoting it and preserving it
    So: hey Ramsis thanks for the vid. The transparencies and blurs are definitely due to the way those images were captured (no green guy transparency in-vid at 0:15).

a.k.a. ManuLöwe Sports Talker Ramsis's Avatar

Anyone else thinking that there won't be a party tomorrow night?

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Tug doing a quad barrel role in the video
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Road Rasher

Wow that video was posted by wm saying you’ve been promised!? Looks like this clip is of an unfinished game, very buggy. I truly wish the release goes as planned tomorrow at the party, but i still have doubts the game is far from finished, and that fonzie is taking us for a ride one more time. We’ll see tomorrow

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Lulz, what was that video? Seriously? Release game footage already...

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Don't expect much in the way of graphical enhancements but that DSP is capable of controlling a fair few things. If the features listed in the manual get implemented then I expect people to have mixed feelings about what has been achieved.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

To whoever will go to the Paris venue tomorrow, please take lots of pics and clips of the game running. Much appreciated!!

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MushaAleste View Post
    To whoever will go to the Paris venue tomorrow, please take lots of pics and clips of the game running. Much appreciated!!
    I doubt it'll be allow but we'll see!

Thread Information