Quantcast

Page 503 of 680 FirstFirst ... 3403453493499500501502503504505506507513553603 ... LastLast
Results 7,531 to 7,545 of 10190

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eke-Eke View Post
    After watching that video, graphical glitches and missing enemy sprites might be related to the fact that the cartridge on-board DSP (that "datenmeister" thing advertised on the game cartbox) is used to decompress tiles from ROM (like that S-DD1 chip in Star Ocean SNES cartridge). Last WM emails from this summer were about some problems they had with that DSP when interfacing it with software on real hardware and, when you think about it, that was just a few months ago so it's very possible the presented version was either using that bugged hardware version or the new hardware which still not in workable state or they received it late and could not get it work for that 'pre-release' party.

This would also explain the lack of background music, although I thought that the DSP was only there for extra sound channels and FM soundtrack was still planned (and already fully developed) so there is probably something else going on.

Off course, as usual, that's just speculation, that could easily be clarified with proper communication :-/
    It seems silly to use a decompression chip for non-sound assets when it's supposed to be an 80 meg game. If it's another anti-piracy measure it only shows how paranoid he is and what his priorities are.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

a.k.a. ManuL÷we Sports Talker Ramsis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by highlandcattle View Post
    He knows yall end up buying the more expensive reprint anyways.
    And I know I definitely won't after all I've read about Pier Solar's improper level-shifting and what-not. (In simple terms: Playing Pier Solar on your original Mega Drive can ruin your console (plus add-ons) basically any minute. So, just don't.)

To be fair, we don't know whether or not the final "Paprium" (God, I hate that name) cart will have been properly engineered or not, so ... better stay clear, and be safe than sorry.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Eke-Eke View Post
    After watching that video, graphical glitches and missing enemy sprites might be related to the fact that the cartridge on-board DSP (that "datenmeister" thing advertised on the game cartbox) is used to decompress tiles from ROM (like that S-DD1 chip in Star Ocean SNES cartridge). Last WM emails from this summer were about some problems they had with that DSP when interfacing it with software on real hardware and, when you think about it, that was just a few months ago so it's very possible the presented version was either using that bugged hardware version or the new hardware which still not in workable state or they received it late and could not get it work for that 'pre-release' party.

This would also explain the lack of background music, although I thought that the DSP was only there for extra sound channels and FM soundtrack was still planned (and already fully developed) so there is probably something else going on.

Off course, as usual, that's just speculation, that could easily be clarified with proper communication :-/
    That sounds very likely especially when you have to develop your game entirely in an emulator because your custom hardware doesn't exist yet.
    Any other MD developer would have swallowed their pride by now and come here or Spritesmind looking for help.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    It seems silly to use a decompression chip for non-sound assets when it's supposed to be an 80 meg game. If it's another anti-piracy measure it only shows how paranoid he is and what his priorities are.
    If it's to the original spec it's actually a 64MEG cart with 2MB of RAM

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    If it's to the original spec it's actually a 64MEG cart with 2MB of RAM
    What does a tile-based game do with 2MB of RAM?
    Or is that where the decompressed graphics go?

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    The PCM soundbank.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Well the DSP has to be able to work with some sort of RAM. It can't work with thin air
    Last edited by matteus; 10-28-2018 at 03:33 PM.

WCPO Agent

I'm not against people adding stuff to carts (I think it's cool if done right) but this all seems like such a waste of time. If you develop for stock MD hardware all you need is an Everdrive to test. Instead we have a cart that so far has:

-the game ROM
    -a DSP (or is it an FGPA?)
    -RAM
    -some sort of flashable ROM for updates/DLC
    -a port to connect the Megawire
    -various other support chips to get everything to place nice

This sounds like a nightmare to build. It's practically a console on a cart. Even if Fonzie actually gets this together I can't see how he will make any money.

The game during preorders sold over 2k units. Seeing a live game would net a bunch i imagine.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by zredgemz View Post
    The game during preorders sold over 2k units. Seeing a live game would net a bunch i imagine.
    What are the costs of making and selling such a cart, though? The Neo Geo Dev team has done some very impressive things with their carts, but they tend to sell for $500 apiece. The closest thing on the Genesis might be the Mega Everdrive, that's $166 and doesn't include the costs of developing a new game.

Not sure but i remember this being talked about in feb or march of last year during the sale last year. I think he made sure the price is over the cost so he is making money.

The game might have sold at cost for investor's but the preorder was more then $50 for the basic version. $69 i believe.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I'm not too happy about faffing with DLC, I find that whole aspect of gaming to be a ball ache. I like a finished game that doesn't need patches, it's more fun to unlock what's there already. DLC usually just amounts to a new jacket or other piece of flim flam for a character to wear anyhow, with which I can not be arsed.

Especially on a 16 bit era game, I go to that part of gaming history to escape all that stuff. Plug and play like it should be!

I'm still hoping to be able to play this game though, moreso for the fact it'll be a unique product to own and have in the library; if it's a good game that'll be a bonus at this point, admittedly a folly in terms of money spent which could have been put to better use on other things...

Nameless One

I'm sorry, but the videos I saw of this so called "Launch Party" are wholeheartedly disappointing. this isn't a game demo that was shown on "really shitty circumstances". this was a mere beta test of some sorts for the Mega Drive/Genesis. This display was extremely distasteful when you consider the game that was shown on the teaser trailers from over 2 years ago. I am beginning to believe I have lost the $60 bucks for good a this point.

I'm not mad, just very disenfranchised by WaterMelon Games for doing this. I was really looking forward to this game because of how huge and technically impressive this was going to be for a 30 yr old hardware. That's the sole reason why I ordered it. However it is very clear that all of these efforts have been wasted and the end result is likely going to disappoint.

PS: for the person at the Magical Game Factory forums that said and I quote: "Keep the faith on that game... especially if it is better than SoR II!".... You sir are as delusional as drifter looking for water in the desert, nothing and I mean NOTHING!!!!! touches Streets Of Rage and the greatness it has managed to transpired in nearly 25 years, PERIOD!

WaterMelon Road Rasher XGoldenboyX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    This thread became so hilarious all of a sudden. I have some things I want to say, but I probably shouldn't, so I'll just be quiet for once.

Say it : )

WaterMelon Road Rasher XGoldenboyX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lion View Post
    There's an epic game in that idea. I'm thinking "Paprium: The Bruce Luis Story".
    Love it!

Thread Information