Quantcast

Page 594 of 680 FirstFirst ... 94494544584590591592593594595596597598604644 ... LastLast
Results 8,896 to 8,910 of 10190

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing for a while. Why haven't some of the larger games media outlets covered the Paprium mess? Something needs to be done to get the story to more people so as to help backers and warn people about the dangers of some of these projects. I'm actually surprised that someone like Larry Bundy or Slopes Game Room aren't on the case.
    I can probably weigh on this.

The way I see it, there's two major barriers with making a video on this.
    A) Paprium is not a big name. Sure people at Sega-16 and a few other circles know about it, but for the most part it's not a well known franchise and because the YouTube algorithm demands you be successful at everything you do, it's an added risk.
    B) There's no easy way to research everything we know about Paprium and Watermelon. There's lot of hearsay, rumors and too many events and controversies that are all dispersed across several websites and forums, this makes it hard to do any research if you haven't been keeping up with events since the whole paprium debacle began.

I mean this thread alone is over 500 pages long, can you imagine having to do read all of it?
    Please check out my YouTube channel

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Do you think it's possible he had designed the chip in software and when it came time to actually implement it in hardware he ran into trouble? I think that might explain his optimism in thinking the game was nearly complete only to discover there was a lot of work left to do.
    Let's entertain that idea. That still wouldn't explain the release party. He announced it on the 8th of October. The party was on the 27th, not even 3 weeks later.
    If he ran into hardware issues *before* announcing the party, then that'd mean he thought 3 weeks would be enough to fix these issues, test the game, mass produce it, ask and receive every customer's shipping address, and (maybe) ship the game before the party.
    If he ran into hardware issues *after* announcing the party, then that'd mean he hadn't even tested the final version of the game on a real console before announcing its release party 3 weeks later.
    Both scenarios are ridiculous.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    Let's entertain that idea. That still wouldn't explain the release party. He announced it on the 8th of October. The party was on the 27th, not even 3 weeks later.
    If he ran into hardware issues *before* announcing the party, then that'd mean he thought 3 weeks would be enough to fix these issues, test the game, mass produce it, ask and receive every customer's shipping address, and (maybe) ship the game before the party.
    If he ran into hardware issues *after* announcing the party, then that'd mean he hadn't even tested the final version of the game on a real console before announcing its release party 3 weeks later.
    Both scenarios are ridiculous.
    This thing of the hardware issue come out more than a year ago, after the preorder campaign, right to justify the delay on the shipping.
    Now we are talking about an hardware issue happened more than one year after the other hardware issue.

This sounds impossible only to me?

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

If all of these issues were caused by that stupid chip, then the situation is well deserved (for Fonzie, not anyone else in the team). There's plenty of Blast Processing(TM) on the Mega Drive / Genesis, it's not a SNES that needs some extra CPU running on the cart doing most of the work.

Just a massive waste of time and money for a slightly better sounding soundtrack and a couple more sprites onscreen. Was it worth it? Obviously not.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

I can't even begin to speculate what's happened with this mess it's unlikely the truth will ever be known.

I've just updated my support message to say I cancel my refund. I've no method to get a refund and my theory is if he ever did reward the refund it would be on release.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    I can't even begin to speculate what's happened with this mess it's unlikely the truth will ever be known.

I've just updated my support message to say I cancel my refund. I've no method to get a refund and my theory is if he ever did reward the refund it would be on release.
    You was right to ask a refund. Even the Sega-16 guys are in right to ask a refund to WM, just for the excessive server-time and storage that this thread require.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

The amount of conspiracy theories and excuses are ridiculous. The guy is simply irresponsible and self centered. He overestimated himself, doesn't know how to handle money, can't run a business, and has no respect for his investors or customers.

Finally and most importantly, he's a coward and a liar. Even if the game were to magically show up on all of our doors next week, very little would change in terms of his or WM's reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    It's unlikely that Fonzie broke something at the last minute before the party. He even tweeted a broken footage (that one featuring Tug rolling on the floor like a dumbass) the day before the party, before deleting it. That footage is on the same level as what was shown at the party. I guess the reactions to that footage were not as good as he had hoped... Remember the game was supposed to be already mass produced at this point.
    Eh, "last minute" is a way of saying. When we're talking about a project that spans 6 years, "last minute" can easily mean weeks or even a handful of months. The point being more that it broke relatively shortly before the party.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Do you think it's possible he had designed the chip in software and when it came time to actually implement it in hardware he ran into trouble? I think that might explain his optimism in thinking the game was nearly complete only to discover there was a lot of work left to do.
    That was actually one of the theories, that the entire game was developed in an emulator, and then when it came the time to get the hardware going he found out too late that all the code was utterly broken with no easy way to fix (short of starting from scratch, which I recall Fonzie also loves to do…).

Quote Originally Posted by avlon View Post
    Finally and most importantly, he's a coward and a liar. Even if the game were to magically show up on all of our doors next week, very little would change in terms of his or WM's reputation.
    Something that hits me is that in the very very remotely chance it actually happened, we'll get a lot of conspiracy people saying that it's not the real Paprium but was sent by somebody else who took pranking way too seriously and that the whole thing is a hoax and that Fonzie is still busy working on the real Paprium.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    This thing of the hardware issue come out more than a year ago, after the preorder campaign, right to justify the delay on the shipping.
    Now we are talking about an hardware issue happened more than one year after the other hardware issue.

This sounds impossible only to me?
    Well... Each excuse can be used more than once (PayPal, Air France...).

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Eh, "last minute" is a way of saying. When we're talking about a project that spans 6 years, "last minute" can easily mean weeks or even a handful of months. The point being more that it broke relatively shortly before the party.
    Still makes no sense to me, no matter when it supposedly broke.

Part 1 of my paprium Documentary will go live in 15 minutes:

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Something that hits me is that in the very very remotely chance it actually happened, we'll get a lot of conspiracy people saying that it's not the real Paprium but was sent by somebody else who took pranking way too seriously and that the whole thing is a hoax and that Fonzie is still busy working on the real Paprium.
    Meh. Just like with the whole "Camille" thing that happened a few months back, I'll only entertain something that comes from an authorized company account. Even then, official sources associated with the project also can't be trusted, so nothing short of actual proof or product showing up at my home will do.
    Last edited by avlon; 01-27-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post

Should I do the same do you reckon? I was wondering about it as it happens...

Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert tokay's Avatar

Thanks Stika for making and releasing this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXLtnqbeBNI
    This was an interesting retrospective to watch.
    Thanks to all who took the time to participate to it!

[edit: typo fixed + rep]

Quote Originally Posted by tokay View Post
    Thanks Stika for making and releasing this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXLtnqbeBNI
    This was interesting an interesting retrospective to watch.
    Thanks to all who took the time to participate to it!
    Glad you liked it! It was a ton of work. I hope to have part 2 out in February.

Nice work Stika and all who contributed!
    The Pier Solar development process resonated with me in particular; I've tried to make several RPGs myself, none of which actually came to full fruition. An RPG is indeed a deceptively difficult 'first game' to try to make, especially when you're like me and you have all the attention span of a goldfish.

Thread Information