Quantcast

Page 597 of 680 FirstFirst ... 97497547587593594595596597598599600601607647 ... LastLast
Results 8,941 to 8,955 of 10190

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher AggroSky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    If the game runs in an emulator how hard would it be to get the emulator running on the Switch? Easier than porting the code I'd think?

Releasing the game on ANY platform would at least show that it's real and not vaporware. I doubt it happens though, even though I've never met Fonzie based on the comments from people who know him it sounds like it would be a serious ego blow to not release this game exactly as he wants it and on original Mega Drive hardware.
    If anything, Tanglewood and Xeno Crisis are proving that you can release these games on other platforms without too much trouble. I believe Tanglewood runs on an emulator on Steam, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AggroSky View Post
    If anything, Tanglewood and Xeno Crisis are proving that you can release these games on other platforms without too much trouble. I believe Tanglewood runs on an emulator on Steam, etc.
    You are correct about Tanglewood. They actually had the MD/Genesis version done first and it was easier for them to write an emulator specifically for it and make that the steam port for PCs. This way they could send you an email on how to extract the .bin from the emulator's file structure for use with an everdrive or other flashcart.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    You are correct about Tanglewood. They actually had the MD/Genesis version done first and it was easier for them to write an emulator specifically for it and make that the steam port for PCs. This way they could send you an email on how to extract the .bin from the emulator's file structure for use with an everdrive or other flashcart.
    Yup! That's right.. I never took advantage of that because I just played the game on my Genesis. But it's great for people who don't own, or have any desire to own a 30+ year old console. Just makes sense to release these games on as many platforms as possible. It only helps your cause. Not to mention it may introduce some new people to an actual Genesis when they never would have had any interest otherwise. The fact that Pier Solar sold over 7000 copies on the Sega Genesis from 2010 onward is a freaking remarkable achievement in my eyes. Imagine how much it would continue to sell on the Switch if Fonzie actually gave a rats ass? Not to mention the money he would make which would then solve his production problems with Paprium. Just completely bizarre that this isn't happening...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

Don't even need to "extract" it: it's already there in a folder as an extra on Steam.

Also, there are already emulated Mega Drive games at the Switch like Thunder Force IV or Sonic 1, with more to come. In Pier Solar case they should release the HD version which has already been ported to other systems. I don't think Fonzie would need lots of time and money for that, it's just a matter of wanting to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post
    Don't even need to "extract" it: it's already there in a folder as an extra on Steam.

Also, there are already emulated Mega Drive games at the Switch like Thunder Force IV or Sonic 1, with more to come. In Pier Solar case they should release the HD version which has already been ported to other systems. I don't think Fonzie would need lots of time and money for that, it's just a matter of wanting to do it.
    I'm pretty sure Tulio could do it pretty fast if he had the ability. But sadly since he's no longer part of the company and isn't on speaking terms with Fonzie it'll likely never happen..

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post

I used that term because BigEvil had to be creative to do it. Valve wouldn't let them make the rom openly obvious so they came up with the method of telling you where it was to get it. It wasn't in an extra's folder in my installation. It was actually part of the emulator but still in normal .bin format. Matt told me where it was located in an email so I could put it on my ED to check it out until my physical copy arrived.

Road Rasher

If fonzie had common sense, he should hire tulio to port pier solar to switch, split 40-40% and keep 20% for everybody that never got paid for the game. I did say IF !

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Wow! Looks like I was right all along. I kept saying that the game has so far only run on a PC by using a modified emulator.
    Yeah, I agree that it was the theory that made the most sense. I guess Tulio was just wrong about that. It's not hard to imagine since Fonzie tried his hardest not to share anything about the game, even with his colleagues. Fonzie's inability to run the game on real hardware might even have been a source of shame for him, deterring him from openly admitting it to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    If fonzie had common sense, he should hire tulio to port pier solar to switch, split 40-40% and keep 20% for everybody that never got paid for the game. I did say IF !
    Sounds like a fine idea... when hell freezes over!

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    Yeah, I agree that it was the theory that made the most sense. I guess Tulio was just wrong about that. It's not hard to imagine since Fonzie tried his hardest not to share anything about the game, even with his colleagues. Fonzie's inability to run the game on real hardware might even have been a source of shame for him, deterring him from openly admitting it to anyone.
    When was the last time we saw a build that ran on real hardware? The last video I remember seeing that showed the console was the sprite test way back in 2012. I really think he realized early on in the development that stock hardware wasn't going to suffice for his grand dream, so he decided to use an add-on chip and registered the datensemi.com website in 2013. From then on it was all emulation.

Did we ever see another video that showed a console and TV after that?

When was the last time we saw a build that ran on real hardware? The last video I remember seeing that showed the console was the sprite test way back in 2012. I really think he realized early on in the development that stock hardware wasn't going to suffice for his grand dream, so he decided to use an add-on chip and registered the datensemi.com website in 2013. From then on it was all emulation.

Did we ever see another video that showed a console and TV after that?
    The Tea Time videos maybe? Although I guess you can't really tell what it's running on..

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

... I really think he realized early on in the development that stock hardware wasn't going to suffice for his grand dream, so he decided to use an add-on chip and registered the datensemi.com website in 2013. From then on it was all emulation.
    Oh, yes, the datensemi.com. How was the story behind this?

He wanted a brand new chip developed in 6 moths or less. So he register the datensemi.com and he spread the voice about this miraculous add-on chip.
    Then he watched on AliExpress or TaoBao from time to time, to check if someone made a copy of the chip.
    But since this plan failed, he went back to really develop it with an FPGA. And that's why all this delay.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    Oh, yes, the datensemi.com. How was the story behind this?

He wanted a brand new chip developed in 6 moths or less. So he register the datensemi.com and he spread the voice about this miraculous add-on chip.
    Then he watched on AliExpress or TaoBao from time to time, to check if someone made a copy of the chip.
    But since this plan failed, he went back to really develop it with an FPGA. And that's why all this delay.

At least at one point the DSP was a Texas Instruments TMS320VC5501 (http://www.ti.com/product/TMS320VC5501).

I looked at the prices awhile back and they sell for under $10, depending on volume. For a game that had hundreds if not thousands of pre-orders it gets down to $5-7, not including the 2MB of RAM he wanted to have on the cart.

Now, what do you suppose costs less? An off the shelf DSP? Or programming an FPGA from scratch?
    I think maybe he realized the DSP didn't behave exactly as the emulator, so he decided to go with the FPGA so there's at least a chance it can match the modified Gens that actually runs the game. That sounds like a tough job for someone who majored in electronics engineering, let alone a guy who studied graphic design!

Edit: I found the perfect Datenmeister! https://www.intel.com/content/www/us.../overview.html
    A little expensive, but this SoC can run Windows 10 and Gens 2.14! It even has WiFi for the all-important DLC that everyone asked for.
    Last edited by axel; 01-28-2019 at 10:58 PM.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

So it would appear from speculation that Fonzie wanted to run the game on an emulator on the cart? What's the point in even using the MD then?

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    So it would appear from speculation that Fonzie wanted to run the game on an emulator on the cart? What's the point in even using the MD then?
    No I was being sarcastic about that part. Since the game runs on an emulator I was saying you could put an emulator in the cart and get it running. If he used an FPGA it would have to mimic the functionality he added to the emulator.

Thread Information