Quantcast

Page 717 of 742 FirstFirst ... 217617667707713714715716717718719720721727 ... LastLast
Results 10,741 to 10,755 of 11125

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker SBlaise84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    What people were saying on here at the time is that emulator authors intentionally kept the game unsupported and that the only way it became playable was by people hacking the emulators.
    Well that finally explains why my standalone Genesis emulator won't run Pier Solar but Retroarch does.

Genesis Plus GX eventually got support for the Pier Solar mapper upstream and it happens to be one of the Retroarch cores. But yeah, there was some reluctance early on, but once the game became old news the stigma went away (no point avoiding it when it wasn't going to have an impact on sales anymore).

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    We have to be realistic, if the game isn't in a good place, giving any information at in this forum will sink them. We have too many people with knowledge of the hardware and it's limitations that would call shenanigans on anything that sounds even remotely questionable.
    A few things to think about:

- If the game was good and really ready to be shipped, don't you think that they would have released it prior to SOR4?
    I mean, they had a big window between SOR4's announcement and its release.
    That period would have been much more welcoming for the game than now.

What about the "Grand Stick III"? Wouldn't make sense to have it at your disposal to use it on the PC to play SOR4 when it was released?

- But let's suppose the game was ready to be shipped but for some reason (which doesn't make any sense) Fonzie wanted to release it after SOR4. OK, great.
    Now we're in a global pandemic and shipping costs all around the world are on a rise and airmail-based services are severely limited.
    Is anyone in there right mind really thinking that it's a good time to ship physical games worldwide now?

- So, let's say that the game is ready, but due to the pandemic the manufacturing and distribution will be halted until mid-2021. This puts us at least a year from now.
    Which then brings up the question: if you were to give two fucks about the people who invested on Paprium/Project N/Grand Stick or pre-ordered Paprium/Pier Solar and never received it, would you in your wildest dreams tease these people now, when certainly a good chunk of them are struggling with financial issues and health concerns?

What about customers' addresses afters years and years of delays and with a pandemic on going? Wouldn't it take a long time to retrieve all the current addresses of those customers who are still alive?
    Probably easier to do that with a working website, right?!

- If the game was good, QA-approved and could run without the need of a crap enhancement chip, wouldn't it be the perfect moment now to use the pandemic as an excuse for not shipping it and make it available online; possibly even making some good money out of a digital release?

But to do anything, you need, first, a finished, tested game and that you believe would be able to stand on its own legs in a world where SOR4 has been released not so long ago.
    I don't think Fonzie has any of that.

All things (including Tulio's statements) point to Fonzie having burned all the money of the project early on and certainly burned anything else with mismanagement and idiocy (MMA fighters on leather underwear anyone? What about a non-functional arcade machine and some soda cans?).

Again, why exactly a lot of people never received their Pier Solar copies which were bought the last time Fonzie made them available for pre-order? There's not a good logical answer for that other than Fonzie having spent all the money in other stuff.

All evidences and logical analysis point to no game and no money.
    But then there's always a jackass diva whoring for attention who are willing to mislead people in order to keep having some attention.
    Last edited by Barone; 08-06-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

On a side note, I'm not a fan of SoR 4. While its core gameplay is nice, it's way too long (12 stages, not suitable for a beat 'em up), has no alternative paths, and is generally annoying to play (enemies spamming the same attack pattern over and over again, earlier games had more diversity). Some character designs are awful (like the last bosses), and the "retro" content is just crap (those retro characters, stages and ill-fitting musics). In my eyes, it's not very hard to top that game.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    That is a great point. According to what Luis is saying, it sounds to me like he's the most involved guy in the Paprium development team after Fonzie. If someone as experienced with the Mega Drive and so deeply involved with the development of Paprium can't even tell if the game is running with a chip or not, then this makes the fact that Fonzie spent so much time and money on this chip even sadder.
    This is what I'm saying. Look at the improvements that were possible with the SVP and 32X, or even the SNES enhancement chips. So if there's a DSP that's at least an order of magnitude faster than anything else put in a 16-bit cart, plus 2 MB of RAM (equivalent to the PSX) it should be obvious. Also what about the Megawire (or was it Bluetooth?) and ability to add DLC? Shouldn't that be a giveaway it's got extra hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    A few things to think about:

- If the game was good and really ready to be shipped, don't you think that they would have released it prior to SOR4?
    I mean, they had a big window between SOR4's announcement and its release.
    That period would have been much more welcoming for the game than now.

What about the "Grand Stick III"? Wouldn't make sense to have it at your disposal to use it on the PC to play SOR4 when it was released?

- But let's suppose the game was ready to be shipped but for some reason (which doesn't make any sense) Fonzie wanted to release it after SOR4. OK, great.
    Now we're in a global pandemic and shipping costs all around the world are on a rise and airmail-based services are severely limited.
    Is anyone in there right mind really thinking that it's a good time to ship physical games worldwide now?

- So, let's say that the game is ready, but due to the pandemic the manufacturing and distribution will be halted until mid-2021. This puts us at least a year from now.
    Which then brings up the question: if you were to give two fucks about the people who invested on Paprium/Project N/Grand Stick or pre-ordered Paprium/Pier Solar and never received it, would you in your wildest dreams tease these people now, when certainly a good chunk of them are struggling with financial issues and health concerns?

What about customers' addresses afters years and years of delays and with a pandemic on going? Wouldn't it take a long time to retrieve all the current addresses of those customers who are still alive?
    Probably easier to do that with a working website, right?!

- If the game was good, QA-approved and could run without the need of a crap enhancement chip, wouldn't it be the perfect moment now to use the pandemic as an excuse for not shipping it and make it available online; possibly even making some good money out of a digital release?

But to do anything, you need, first, a finished, tested game and that you believe would be able to stand on its own legs in a world where SOR4 has been released not so long ago.
    I don't think Fonzie has any of that.

All things (including Tulio's statements) point to Fonzie having burned all the money of the project early on and certainly burned anything else with mismanagement and idiocy (MMA fighters on leather underwear anyone? What about a non-functional arcade machine and some soda cans?).

Again, why exactly a lot of people never received their Pier Solar copies which were bought the last time Fonzie made them available for pre-order? There's not a good logical answer for that other than Fonzie having spent all the money in other stuff.

All evidences and logical analysis point to no game and no money.
    But then there's always a jackass diva whoring for attention who are willing to mislead people in order to keep having some attention.
    I know people have speculated Fonzie wanted to release every item at once, but it would be very expensive to store all those items for years and it makes zero business sense. The video of the arcade stick being assembled was posted in May 2019, how long does it take to put one together? In that same post Fonzie mentioned "extreme financial constraints" so again why delay anything? A digital release could have been sent out to people who pre-ordered as a nice "thank you for your support, please accept this while we finish production" but for that to happen the game must first exist.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Not calling this a scam by this point is delusional.

This isn't a pre-order that missed its deadline by a few months. It is nearing on 3 years now with no official communication or a shred of proof that a product is incoming.

Someone stated a few pages ago that they want a refund. Where is their money?

As Barone and I recently brought up, where is the Grand Stick?

What kind of people abide by NDA's regarding their assets without getting paid?
    Last edited by avlon; 08-06-2020 at 07:43 PM.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Sad thing is, what Fonzie wanted, to have people talk about this, is exactly what he got. Luis hopped in here, said a lot of stuff that really didn't change our knowledge of the current status of the project in any way, got predictably slammed by the only online community even willing to entertain this nonsense, then used that as an excuse to disappear again.

It's like there's a built-in feature of this cycle that guarantees anyone involved has an excuse to ghost at any moment the heat gets too intense.

Seriously, at what point does a game journalist get involved and expose this to the larger gaming community?
    Last edited by SEGA-Jorge; 08-06-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Master of Shinobi

IIRC the Datenmeister was announced as being mostly a sound chip, wasn't it ? Not many graphical enhancements were dependent on it when it was announced, if my memory serves right
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    On a side note, I'm not a fan of SoR 4. While its core gameplay is nice, it's way too long (12 stages, not suitable for a beat 'em up), has no alternative paths, and is generally annoying to play (enemies spamming the same attack pattern over and over again, earlier games had more diversity). Some character designs are awful (like the last bosses), and the "retro" content is just crap (those retro characters, stages and ill-fitting musics). In my eyes, it's not very hard to top that game.
    i agree with you. i thought i liked sor 4, but once i beat it i had no desire to go through it again. i'm having more fun with return of double dragon with an improvement patch then i ever did with Sor 4. And really, 12 stages? no thank you.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I know people have speculated Fonzie wanted to release every item at once, but it would be very expensive to store all those items for years and it makes zero business sense.
    Well, zero business sense is Fonzie's trademark.

Let's "stay optimistic" and assume he did manufactured all those arcade sticks.
    Good, now, I think it's safe to assume that if he's paying a place to store all that inventory it's in China, where it was supposed to be assembled.
    After more than a year stored god_knows_where in China, would you bet that those items are still all looking like brand new stuff?
    We're talking some big boxes that you need to keep away from sun light, humidity, etc.

The video of the arcade stick being assembled was posted in May 2019, how long does it take to put one together? In that same post Fonzie mentioned "extreme financial constraints" so again why delay anything?
    In that same post they said:
    "Everyone having asked for a refund will get refunded once we solved our issues with paypal, which should happen soon. We got a refund list, do not worry, you will get refunded regardless of what happens, changes of moods, etc. No need to spam us or call my number 10 times a day, costumer support staff in a very long vacation."

Here's reality:
    https://www.facebook.com/watermelong...30223977045265

A digital release could have been sent out to people who pre-ordered as a nice "thank you for your support, please accept this while we finish production" but for that to happen the game must first exist.
    And at this point any public communication from WM would be showered with inquiries about the following items they never delivered:
    - Pier Solar's last run;
    - The arcade stick;
    - Project N;
    - Paprium investor cartridges (which are supposed to be "special")
    - Paprium cartrdiges

Add to that the fact that the games were supposed to have different packaging according to the region (EUR/USA/JAP), it's hard to believe Fonzie would have the nerve to publicly communicate as WM ever again.

By the way, his most recent public facebook posts are these:

And later we learned that such story had been all made up by him.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Even if it's made up, what's ironic is that he's complaining about chasing his money for six months and is annoyed about his money and items. Oh, and that a server error prevents communication. Meanwhile he's approaching a decade of doing the same to people himself.

Seems that he knows these scams all too well.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Sad thing is, what Fonzie wanted, to have people talk about this, is exactly what he got. Luis hopped in here, said a lot of stuff that really didn't change our knowledge of the current status of the project in any way, got predictably slammed by the only online community even willing to entertain this nonsense, then used that as an excuse to disappear again.
    It's like there's a built-in feature of this cycle that guarantees anyone involved has an excuse to ghost at any moment the heat gets too intense.
    Well, let's see:

2017: Fonzie & Luis go on a media tour to promote the imminent release of the game and the scam pre-order campaign.
    No details about the gameplay and no actual footage of it running on real hardware are released.

2018: Fonzie announces a "release party" which ends up being a disaster and another scam since no game was released and there wasn't even a game to be shown, just a really buggy broken demo of a bunch of nonsense going on the screen with some non-standard prototype PCB powering it.
    Luis goes on another media tour, gives some drama-filled interviews with zero substance about the game (again, no details about the gameplay), but claims that more than to years before he had played a functional version of the game, with bugs but with proper enemies and AI.

2019: After the release of st1ka's "What happened to Paprium?" documentary series, Luis re-emerges in the forums claiming that Fonzie does have money to fulfill all the pre-orders (no word on all the other inventory they owe to people) while Tulio's interview to the documentary had gone in the opposite direction, exposing that Fonzie had burnt all the Project Y's money still early on.
    Again, nothing of substance provided by Luis, no comments about gameplay details, etc.

2020: Game Sack releases an episode focused on crowdfunded projects which dedicates a lot of attention to the Paprium debacle.
    Luis then proceeds to replies to comments on the video made by people who claimed to have lost money on the project and promises "news soon".
    Upon criticism, he re-emerges in the forums, posts and deletes a teaser image on twitter related to Paprium suggesting that something is about to happen and then after receiving more heat, states that now he possesses a complete version of the game which runs on real hardware.
    Despite his marvelous 25 years of experience in the gaming industry, he is unable to identify if the game relies on extra hardware on the cartridge and provides no details about the gameplay despite claiming that he contributed a lot to the gameplay of the game (which implies that he has been communicating with Fonzie and has been able to validate that his input has been added to the game).

I see a pattern here and it's not a good one.
    Last edited by Barone; 08-06-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    IIRC the Datenmeister was announced as being mostly a sound chip, wasn't it ? Not many graphical enhancements were dependent on it when it was announced, if my memory serves right
    Fonzie has given various explanations for what exactly the Datenmeister is supposed to do. But at the launch party when the sprites were buggy and no enemies spawned, he blamed it on problems with the DSP. So if the graphics aren't enhanced why have them rely on an extra chip?

Hero of Algol

Fonzie has given various explanations for what exactly the Datenmeister is supposed to do. But at the launch party when the sprites were buggy and no enemies spawned, he blamed it on problems with the DSP. So if the graphics aren't enhanced why have them rely on an extra chip?
    Fonzie had no idea of what the DSP he selected actually was capable of doing when he added it to the project.
    He had delusional thoughts about what it could do beyond audio processing. That's one of the reasons why it became a problem.

Another reason is needing someone with actual knowledge to design and debug the PCB; and a utter poor track record as a contractor (people had been left unpaid in the past when asked to do similar tasks).

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Despite his marvelous 25 years of experience in the gaming industry, he is unable to identify if the game relies on extra hardware on the cartridge and provides no details about the gameplay despite claiming that he contributed a lot to the gameplay of the game (which implies that he has been communicating with Fonzie and has been able to validate that his input has been added to the game).
    He got a SoR2 cart with a Paprium sticker on it.

Thread Information