Quantcast

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1990's Doom games.

Road Rasher

Default 1990's Doom games.

Just a thread for discussing stuff about the "old school" Doom games.

Which of the 1990ís Doom games is your favorite and least favorite and why (level design, enemies, power-ups, weapons, etc)?

(The following is only for the MS-DOS PC versions of the games)

1. Doom
    2. The Ultimate Doom (an upgraded version of the original Doom with an additional fourth episode)
    3. Doom II: Hell on Earth
    4. Master Levels for Doom II (an expansion pack for Doom II: Hell on Earth with additional levels)
    5. Final Doom
    Last edited by Josh; 02-22-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

It's all the same Doomy goodness really. Doom II gave us the double barreled shotgun and some cool new enemies and later games were just more of the same so I guess I'd go with Doom II if I had to pick for some reason.

Road Rasher

I'd choose The Ultimate Doom as my favorite. Doom II: Hell on Earth is an awesome game, don't get me wrong, but I just prefer the level design overall in The Ultimate Doom. My least favorite is Final Doom because of the length of the levels and the difficulty. I can play The Ultimate Doom on Ultra-Violence pretty easily, and I usually play Doom II on UV if I want more of a challenge than what is provided on the Hurt Me Plenty difficulty. In Final Doom, the game can be quite frustrating even on Hurt Me Plenty, although it isn't impossible.
    Last edited by Josh; 01-13-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Doom II for me. Doom 1/Ultimate comes a very close second. Wasn't too keen on Final Doom, though.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Doom 1 was enough for me, Doom 2 always felt like a glorified expansion pack.

I love anything Doom. I have all kinds of expansions and TCs. That was the best part about Doom - all the mods. I do have to say, my favorite is still the Doominator wad pak.

I always liked the original doom 2 for dos the most. Don't know why.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Anyone remember Aliens TC? those were the days!

The Ultimate Doom. It felt like a complete package with story, music, purposeful stage progression, and all that. You were actually making your way through something with a (simple) story, whereas Doom II: Hell on Earth and Final Doom left that aspect behind. Yes, DII and FD were fun, and are great games, but they didn't feel as complete as the original game. You don't need a deep tale to blast demons, but when you give the first game a narrative, suddenly dropping it entirely felt kind of lame.

The only Doom game I wasn't too fond of was the Master Levels pack. It just felt... uninteresting, and a bit unneeded. It wasn't nearly as enjoyable as the main games.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

Feels a bit unnecessary to add those different iterations of the first Doom. I don't think Ultimate Doom should be counted as a separate game, since IIRC anyone who bought the original Doom could upgrade to Ultimate Doom for free with a patch. Ultimate Doom was the first boxed retail edition of Doom since it was originally just sold through mail order.

Raging in the Streets

Ultimate Doom for me personally, I enjoy the lot though.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

No love for Doom 64?

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    No love for Doom 64?
    Last time I checked, that had no MS-DOS version.

Doom 64 was amazing with great level design and even more sinister atmosphere. The lack of reload animations for the shotguns were disappointing though and i can't say i liked the enemy redesigns for the most part.

My favorite is the original Doom, mostly because it was the game that impressed me like no other game, ever, when i fist saw it. I also like the level design more than the sequel, however i could choose Doom 2 only for the double barreled shotgun and the new enemies.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I mainly didn't like the turn speed in Doom 64. Otherwise it felt like Quake lite to me.

As for my favorite Doom version for PC? I guess I have to go with the one I played the most which was Doom II. I pretty must lost interest in the genre after that.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Thread Information