Quantcast

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1990's Doom games.

I was playing some doom on the 32x today and the game randomly freezes (it likes to freeze in the demo mode). Awesome port!

....brutal doom looks awesome....

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    An IWAD is the stand-alone game contents. Nothing else is needed. A PWAD is a set of patches that replace or add onto what is in the IWAD. It requires a specific IWAD to work - for example, a PWAD meant for Doom 2 requires the Doom 2 IWAD in addition to the PWAD. A TC means "Total Conversion" - nothing from the original is used. These are normally replacement IWAD files, but I have seen TCs that are actually just PWADs with most, but not all of the IWAD contents replaced. Some conversions are more "total" than others.
    Thanks for explaining all that. I appreciate it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Thanks for explaining all that. I appreciate it a lot.
    No problem. The other file you often see with game mods for Doom are DEH files. These are "DeHackEd" files - they specify hacks to the executable that change the way the game works; for example, changing the rate at which a weapon fires, or how much ammo an ammo pack has. For Doom ports that support it, sometimes you'll also see music files that replace the music in the WAD files. For the more extensive Doom ports, you can even find replacement textures, models for the enemies and objects, and environment files that specify things like advanced lighting.

32X Doom awesome port? ROFL!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

I thought my sarcasm was obvious. Seriously I can't believe the game freezes....in the demo mode...

Quote Originally Posted by Curryman123 View Post
    32X Doom awesome port? ROFL!

Yeah I missed that part. My bad.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

It was too rushed... they were trying to force it out for the '94 Christmas shopping season when they needed to hold it until they both finished testing more levels, and worked a few more bugs out. Most of the bugs are related to the fact that Doom was written for a little-endian system and the 32X is big-endian. Us Amiga programmers were STILL working out endian problems a more than a year after the release of the Doom code. Me and Peter found a considerable number of endian bugs while working on the 68K and PPC versions of Doom on the Amiga.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

I guess I'd have to say "Ultimate Doom" as that is the DOOM game I spent an entire summer playing and playing through WADS on a DZONE! disc (remember those?).

But I think I burned myself out on DOOM back then because I've yet to return to Doom.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raúl Julia...

final doom pc and doom on ps1 really took alot of my time. I also tore through the 32x and jaguar versions in high school. Ugh,such good times.

Road Rasher

I have seen video footage and photos of the prototype version of Doom II: Hell on Earth online. Here is a list of differences compared to the final version:

- The music in the prototype is just re-used music from Doom. It uses the title screen music from Doom when the Doom II title screen appears and when playing the level The Living End, the Entryway level uses the same music as the Hangar level, etc.
    - In a photo taken during Doom II's development, the Pain Elemental isn't seen shooting out Lost Souls (essentially, at that point, it was a sprite-swap of the Cacodemon and, as such, used the same attacks). When viewing footage of the prototype, the Pain Elemental did shoot out Lost Souls (indicating that the video footage was based off of a later version of the prototype), though it didn’t spawn Lost Souls when it died and it used the same sounds as the Cacodemon upon seeing the player.
    - The Mancubus uses the same projectiles as those that the Baron of Hell uses. Before launching these projectiles, the Mancubus makes the same sound that the Baron of Hell uses upon seeing the player.
    - The Arachnotron uses the same attack as the Spider Mastermind (unlike the Arachnotron's attack in the final version, no projectiles come out). The prototype version of the game will crash when an Arachnotron is killed.
    - The Revenant uses the same projectiles as those that the Cyberdemon uses, jumps when firing a projectile, and uses the same punching sound as the player’s fist when attacking at close range.
    - The Arch-vile’s attack shows a BFG 9000 projectile in front of the player (the BFG 9000 sound effect is also used when the Arch-vile does this).
    - The Arch-vile, Mancubus, and Revenant make the same sound as the Zombieman upon seeing the player.
    - In photos of some levels taken during Doom II’s development (such as The Factory, Industrial Zone, etc), the sky texture from episode one of Doom is used.
    - The texturing is different in some spots compared to the final version.
    - The episode select screen and Read This! option from the original Doom are included (these were both removed from the final version of Doom II).
    - The reloading animation for the Super Shotgun is incomplete.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

^ Has that proto ever been released to the public? I wanna give it a try.

Road Rasher

I found the information about the Doom II prototype from a YouTube video called "Doom II Beta - Documantairy" which was uploaded by Cacodemontube. Cacodemontube didn't provide a download link to the prototype.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

The original Doom idea sounded way cooler than the finished game. Too ambitious for the technology actually.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raúl Julia...

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I found the information about the Doom II prototype from a YouTube video called "Doom II Beta - Documantairy" which was uploaded by Cacodemontube. Cacodemontube didn't provide a download link to the prototype.
    That's cool. Thanks for replying.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    The original Doom idea sounded way cooler than the finished game. Too ambitious for the technology actually.
    I think it could have worked, but even back then Carmack wanted games to be fast and aggressive.

that's what happened with Wolfenstein 3D, originally it was gonna be all Solid Snaking it, but Carmack felt it took away from the action.

Doom could have been like the movie Aliens, but then they would have had to bother with actually adding gameplay.

Fuck was I ever happy when Half-Life killed the straight forward shooter.

then again.. it did give birth to COD gameplay, which tries to hide its lack of storyline by making everything a cutscene.

OMG *your name* YOU GOTTA RUN AROUND THIS CORNER, MAKE SURE TO KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN CAUSE THIS IS STORYLINE BABY!

Thread Information