ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Default Reverse Engineering the MOS 6502 CPU

Wildside Expert

I really enjoyed that video.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Naiss stuff !

I like Z80 more :P
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

So do i

Wildside Expert

But I hear the Z80 has cooties! Smelly cooties!

You wouldn't want a CPU with smelly cooties, do you?

*passes on some smelly cooties*

:P
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Wildside Expert

Of course I'm being silly. I don't really have anything against the Z80. I messed around with the 6502 last summer and it was quite fun. Didn't do anything meaningful with it but liked how I had to think about programming differently. My programming evolution went from Basic to Turbo Pascal to C/C++. Never any assembly. During my 6502 experiments I tried doing some NES programming but didn't get very far. During that phase I thought I'd check out Sega Master System programming, too. I had read somewhere that the Z80 was more difficult to use and that the SMS didn't have niceties like hardware sprite flipping. I was already struggling with the NES stuff so I figured I wouldn't give myself extra grief by trying out and even more challenging platform. That's about the sum of my exposure to the Z80

I watched for less than a minute and then turned it off due to excessive nerdiness. I can take tech stuff in small amounts but this's too much for me. Maybe I just don't have the patience, but probably what did it is the lack of good looking ladies.
    Last edited by Drakon; 11-30-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djcouchycouch View Post
    Of course I'm being silly. I don't really have anything against the Z80. I messed around with the 6502 last summer and it was quite fun. Didn't do anything meaningful with it but liked how I had to think about programming differently. My programming evolution went from Basic to Turbo Pascal to C/C++. Never any assembly. During my 6502 experiments I tried doing some NES programming but didn't get very far. During that phase I thought I'd check out Sega Master System programming, too. I had read somewhere that the Z80 was more difficult to use and that the SMS didn't have niceties like hardware sprite flipping. I was already struggling with the NES stuff so I figured I wouldn't give myself extra grief by trying out and even more challenging platform. That's about the sum of my exposure to the Z80
    SMS is pretty simple, like MD. There are no weird quirks to worry about. Everything is pretty simple, sometimes too simple (like no sprite flipping) and no way to do raster effects that involve vertical scroll change.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    I watched for less than a minute and then turned it off due to excessive nerdiness. I can take tech stuff in small amounts but this's too much for me. Maybe I just don't have the patience, but probably what did it is the lack of good looking ladies.
    I require that all the technical videos I watch have tits in it. I mean, how else are they going to keep my attention?

I once did C# language "training". It was two days of watching a total of 16 hours of video. Tits would've helped a lot.

Back to the subject, it's amazing that they didn't (or couldn't?) use computers to help in the design of the chip. They had to draw everything by hand. And it's sad that they lost all that original work. It's good that there exists the Visual 6502 and related projects.

Haha damn straight I want more titties otherwise I'd rather just read it on a post somewhere.

Also if you can hand draw the 6502 schematic I wonder how big a hand built version would be.

Quote Originally Posted by djcouchycouch View Post
    I require that all the technical videos I watch have tits in it. I mean, how else are they going to keep my attention?

I once did C# language "training". It was two days of watching a total of 16 hours of video. Tits would've helped a lot.

Back to the subject, it's amazing that they didn't (or couldn't?) use computers to help in the design of the chip. They had to draw everything by hand. And it's sad that they lost all that original work. It's good that there exists the Visual 6502 and related projects.

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    SMS is pretty simple, like MD. There are no weird quirks to worry about. Everything is pretty simple, sometimes too simple (like no sprite flipping) and no way to do raster effects that involve vertical scroll change.
    What if an SMS cart had a cheater chip inside it like most NES games do?

I am working on that, and it will give 80% more animation capacity (the CPU can only reach 20% of VDP potential !) and I have some extra sound coming too (PSG is used as a DAC to play the new sound channels as there is no audio line on SMS cartslot). It will only work on real US/EU SMS1 or SMS2, and on Japanese SMS if you use exp slot adaptor. It won't work on MD or GG as they don't have full funtionality on the cartslot.
    http://www.tmeeco.eu/BitShit/SMSDMA.png

That's awesome. The kickass logos are especially impressive. Is this just a hardware goal right now or is there software being written for it? What's the plans for all of this or should we wait for an announcement? That's too bad about no audio line on the cart slot. There is one on the expansion slot, right?

Expansion slot has no audio line either, it is same as cartslot but with reversed gender.
    The HW goes in hand with a run 'n' gun type game I am making. SMS has half the VRAM bandwidth of MD, being able to use all of it will mean animation that puts NES to shame.
    I am not making any fuzz about it until I got something that works, so far it is all on paper but I am getting the PCBs on Monday, but some of the key parts are not around for at least a week more.
    Great things will come none the less (at least one haha).

Thread Information