Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quake, Quake II, and Quake III (Team) Arena thread (PC versions and console ports).

Road Rasher

Default Quake, Quake II, and Quake III (Team) Arena thread (PC versions and console ports).

Quake (1996), Quake II (1997), and Quake III Arena (1999) were developed and licensed by id Software (the original Quake was published by GT Interactive, Quake II and Quake III Arena were published by Activision). These games, like their previously successful FPS titles, were ported to different home consoles. Quake was released on the Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64 in 1997 and 1998 respectively, Quake II was released on the Sony PlayStation and Nintendo 64 in 1999 for both consoles, while Quake III Arena was released on the Sega Dreamcast in 2000 and Sony PlayStation 2 in 2001 (as Quake III Revolution for the PS2 version). Quake III Arena also received an expansion called Quake III Team Arena in 2000 which added some new weapons and other content. What do you guys think of these games in regards to the home console and PC versions?
    Last edited by Josh; 05-07-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I think the Saturn Quake looks extremely downported, so I don't get how it got so famous outside of the PC "arena".

I think Quake III Arena looks awesome on the Dreamcast; but I wouldn't be able to tell you how it plays. It suffers from utterly-stupid button layouts.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

SAturn Quake got famous because it was an impressive port considering.

I did like Quake 3 Dreamcast, didn't think the control was that bad the last I played. I didn't really care for the PC version, but the DC version was great and you can say the same exact thing that I did about Saturn Quake - impressive port considering.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Screw the console ports. I've got my two Big Box copies of Quake and Quake II. That's all I need.
    Bare Knuckle III rules! Also, the music in this game is freakin awesome.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

QuakeII is the only one of the games that is any good
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quake on Saturn has the NIN soundtrack intact while the N64 version got a custom soundtrack.

Outrunner

And on soundtracks, the PSOne and DC soundtracks are both exclusive and awesome.

I had a lot of fun on the DC Quake III, it played much better on 56k versus a PC on 56k. While the control scheme may have sucked for some, you've also got to consider the limitations of the DC pad and the fact that FPS's on consoles still didn't have a "standard" control scheme like they do today.

Edit..

I also played a ton of 3 player deathmatch on Quake II for PSOne. I had a whole lot of fun on that one, to me it was an excellent port given the hardware limitations. I can't even think of any 3-4 player FPS games on the system that even come close.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

I never cared much for the console versions although Q3 on DC was an excellent version for those without PC access.

I liked Q1 and 2 more than 3 because they had quality single-player modes (Q1's level design beats 2). Q3 was a good multiplayer game but it went a little underplayed for me because the vastly superior Unreal Tournament stole its thunder. Q4 was just mediocre Raven generica.

I played Quake - Q3TA on PC and even still play Q3A to this day. About a year and a half ago I finished second place in a Quake 3 tournament... lost to someone from Russia.

I had played Quake 2 on N64 but didn't like it. The controls are impossible for me. Although Quake 3 was interesting (like Halo) where if you had the Dreamcast maps on the PC version, you could connect to the Dreamcast server and play against those players. You always won tho, but you can even use the Dreamcast levels normally if you wanted to.

But for Q3 I've used my old username since it came out and the same model... definately over 10 years.

Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    I think the Saturn Quake looks extremely downported, so I don't get how it got so famous outside of the PC "arena".

I think Quake III Arena looks awesome on the Dreamcast; but I wouldn't be able to tell you how it plays. It suffers from utterly-stupid button layouts.
    It's notable for being an impressive port for the system and outclassing the N64 port in certain areas. For example the Saturn port in a lot of places has more complex geometry for the levels where as the N64 port tends to feel more boxy. Also the Saturn port has more levels and dynamic lighting.

Yeah, i agree about Saturn Quake. Even though i'm a N64 fanboy, i played both versions and i prefer the Saturn version. The same goes for Duke Nukem actually, Saturn had the best port of it too. Lobotomy made wonders with their ports on Saturn.

Hero of Algol

About console ports, Quake II on the PS1 lets you play using controller + mouse. It may sound weird at first but it works great, especially if you have something like the ASCII Grip or some of those rare PS1 sticks.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Both games are toned down quite a bit. Quake Saturn has framerate issues that Duke 3D and Powerslave don't that I can't figure out. Quake III Dreamcast is set to low polygon mode and 30FPS for single player and might as well be an N64 game in multiplayer. They were both quick and dirty ports, but turned out quite well as games considering the console's libraries.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Road Rasher

Despite having owned various iterations of Quake for various platforms, I never really thoroughly played them through. Quake Saturn has a nice atmosphere, and plays decently. I think the grainy 32-Bit era textures actually really adds to the dirty, grimy feel.

I did have Quake 2 for N64 and tried to make a good crack at it, paper for passwords on hand, it was decently playable, but I lost interest.

Wrong time, wrong place, for me, I played them in my pre-internet 2000-2005 game bubble (had crap dial-up until 2005), where I played games for then outdated consoles due to a lack of funding and whatever I could find at boot sales and second hand stores, completely divorced from the present scene (PS2, GC, XBox) and also too late to be part of many games original impact, a trend I've still continued ala Halo which I first picked up in 2007, and I only just finished Mass Effect 1 in August this very year!

Quake was definitely one of those game you had to play at its time of release, I think being part of the surrounding game community is what really defines games like this and elevates them as play experiences, and also definitely a game series that lends itself badly to nostalgia, fond memories of the game are really just your involvement in a scene, otherwise without it (IMHO) as titles they seem fairly hollow.
    Last edited by TVC 15; 11-06-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

I've only played the game with the official keyboard, so I can't really comment on the joypad controls. Keyboard and mouse really are superior options, and I'm primary a console gamer. Just can't beat it with this port.

Thread Information