Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SGDK - Sega Genesis Development Kit

I prefer it being separate. This forum's just too active to fit everything in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    I see. Still, it was more fun when everyone participated in these threads, plus this forum seemed way more active before the split. I think I was for creating a dedicated forum but in hindsight I regret not being more vocal about the concerns I had as well.

I like the look of this. ill have to download it.

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser
    I see. Still, it was more fun when everyone participated in these threads, plus this forum seemed way more active before the split. I think I was for creating a dedicated forum but in hindsight I regret not being more vocal about the concerns I had as well.
    I've seen no lack of activity in these forums... most threads still disappear in a week unless they're popular. The oldest thread in THIS forum right now is only 6 days since the last post, and that's only because we're in the middle of a holiday. I've seen times when the oldest thread on the front page is 1 day.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    I like the look of this. ill have to download it.
    Please - the more folks who get into homebrew, the better!

Version 0.94 is out Check it out

If i had the knowledge i wouldn't mind porting games like Samurai Shodown and Metal Slug 3 over to the Genesis.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Fan View Post
    If i had the knowledge i wouldn't mind porting games like Samurai Shodown and Metal Slug 3 over to the Genesis.
    Samurai Shodown is already ported to Genesis and Sega CD. Metal Slug 3 is impossible to port. Metal Slug 1 is barely doable, but would require severe cuts in content, sprites on screen, etc.

If you can port the first Metal Slug by cutting stuff, then you can do the same with Metal Slug 3.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Samurai Shodown is already ported to Genesis and Sega CD. Metal Slug 3 is impossible to port. Metal Slug 1 is barely doable, but would require severe cuts in content, sprites on screen, etc.

I meant Samurai Shodown 2, and using a full 5MB rom unlike the first game.

And with games like Alien Soldier, Gunstar Heroes, and Mega Turrican, there's no reason a scaled down but still impressive port of Metal Slug 3 isn't also doable. Near the end of the Genesis lifespan it was seeing graphics & music on-par with low-end Neo Geo games.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Fan View Post
    I meant Samurai Shodown 2
    You don't like the Asian pirate version?

Creeping Death-ah! Wildside Expert Metallica Man X's Avatar

Well, this looks pretty sweet! Definitely going to download and play with this
    I mostly lurk...don't be alarmed when you see me actually make a post :P

I need to preface this post by saying that I'm really sorry to bump this old thread but I'm not sure where else to post this. I also have a history of ineptitude, sometimes I can't distinguish my ass from my elbow, and my doctor suspects that my skull may be empty.

Now with that out of the way, can someone please tell me how exactly I get SGDK running? I tried using SGDK about 2 years ago, but I couldn't figure it out, so I decided go back to it later when I was more confident with my programming skills. But I can't get anything to compile with this. I recently finished programming a game with Microsoft directX IDE, and I decided to try converting it to run on MD/gen, but after reading the setup guide for it, I still can't figure it out. I got a buddy of mine to look at it and he couldn't do it either.

I believe that my astounding stupidity may be the culprit here, but once people have stopped laughing at me, can someone give me some clue as to how I'm supposed to work this. I have a vague familiarity with Eclipse so I decided to run it with Eclipse in Windows, but nothing happens. This tool obviously works, there's been some decent projects made with it, but is there some steps missing from the setup guide or something?

*Edit, just so people know, I've been programming on and off since 1996, starting with a BBC Micro, so I'm not totally new to programming.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Grind's Avatar

Can you get it to compile outside of Eclipse? Like if you run this command in your project directory:

Code:
    %GDK_WIN%\bin\make -f %GDK_WIN%\makefile.gen
    If there is an error message what does it say?

Personally I kind of ignored the guide and just added C:\SGDK\inc and C:\SGDK\res to the includes in project settings. That was enough to get code completion to work and I just compile outside of Eclipse.

If you don't want to modify your PATH variable try this batch file. It requires copying makefile.gen to the project directory though.

Quote Originally Posted by Grind View Post
    Can you get it to compile outside of Eclipse? Like if you run this command in your project directory:

Code:
    If there is an error message what does it say?

Personally I kind of ignored the guide and just added C:\SGDK\inc and C:\SGDK\res to the includes in project settings. That was enough to get code completion to work and I just compile outside of Eclipse.

If you don't want to modify your PATH variable try this batch file. It requires copying makefile.gen to the project directory though.
    Thanks for trying to help, but I get nothing

This is ridiculous, its now 1:40am, I've been trying to get this running for days and nothing works at all. I have very carefully followed the instructions here: https://singularityprogramming.wordp...cdt-with-sgdk/

And I've gone through the instructions on here: https://github.com/Stephane-D/SGDK/w...tup-SGDK-basic
    Last edited by Mad Moham; 07-29-2016 at 01:14 PM.

I set this up in a Windows 8 VM just now. Here is everything I did, without skipping over the obvious stuff.

SGDK:

1. Grabbed 1.21 from here: https://github.com/Stephane-D/SGDK/wiki/Download

2. Extracted it to C:\SGDK

3. Added the environment variables in this interface:
    Screenshot from 2016-07-27 21-39-17.jpg

First one
    Name: GDK
    Value: C:/SGDK
    Second one
    Name: GDK_WIN
    Value: C:\SGDK

4. In the same interface also edit the PATH system variable, add to the end:
    Code:
    ;C:\SGDK\bin
    The semicolon is important.
    Screenshot from 2016-07-27 21-51-35.png

5. Go into C:\SGDK\sample\sprite, then hold shift and right click to get the command prmpt option:
    Screenshot from 2016-07-27 21-55-52.jpg

6. In that command window enter the same make line from that install guide:
    Code:
    That's it. You want the output to look like this after finishing. The rom goes in out/rom.bin:
    Screenshot from 2016-07-27 22-01-56.jpg

If this isn't what you see, show me what you see. Copy paste it, take a screenshot, anything.

Eclipse in next post because attachment limit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Then for Eclipse:

1. I assume you have both JDK and Eclipse set up already

2. Do File -> Import. Pick in the list C/C++ -> Existing code as Makefile project. Browse to the sprite sample, then hit Finish.
    Screenshot from 2016-07-27 22-19-19.png

3. Now the project is loaded, but Eclipse doesn't know where genesis.h is, so we add the includes by going to this interface:
    Screenshot from 2016-07-27 22-21-50.jpg

4. You want to add 2 directories to the include path: C:\SGDK\inc and C:\SGDK\res:
    Screenshot from 2016-07-27 22-27-31.png

5. Hit OK and Yes in the popup, the errors and red underlines should disappear, and code completion should now work. For some reason some of the "sonic_sprite" variables still showed as errors to me. Not sure why, doesn't happen in my other projects. If I ever figure out why I'll tell you.

6. Last thing: Eclipse also doesn't know how to build the project. We have to tell it to run the command from earlier when you click "build".
    Screenshot from 2016-07-27 22-38-34.jpg

7. Now when clicking build, you should see the same output in the console as when you ran that command earlier.

So that's not what the install tutorial tells you to do and it's probably not the "correct" way either, but it's what "works" for me.

Thread Information