Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 16 Bit Generation: Forwards or Backwards

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    16 Bit Gen - = Team Platformers.
    I love these, as well as the closely related Team Puzzle-Platformers (or just Team Puzzlers).

Dracula 3, GI Joe, GI Joe 2, TMNT, Little Samson, Robinhood Prince of Thieves, Captain America, Mission Impossible...
    Uforia/Hebereke also comes to mind, and Double Dragon III has enough non-brawler elements to maybe count too? Legacy of the Wizard is a borderline case. Of course there's the shared-lives issue but TMNT doesn't have them...?

Sure there are a couple on MD such as Animaniacs and X-Men 1 and 2
    (Shadow Blasters as well, for one)

but this topic is about things one expected to grow and the element of team gameplay certainly didn't. I'm sure the SNES's corpulent library has some I'm forgetting but whether its obscurities will have any play value is doubtful so I'm stuck naming the obvious DKC.
    Lost Vikings was one of the few, or at least I remember quite enjoying the SNES version -- haven't played the Genesis one yet. But again, maybe this runs afoul of the "pooled lifestock" issue, though maybe as points on a continuum is the best way to treat it?

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Uforia/Hebereke also comes to mind, and Double Dragon III has enough non-brawler elements to maybe count too? Legacy of the Wizard is a borderline case. Of course there's the shared-lives issue but TMNT doesn't have them...?
    (Shadow Blasters as well, for one)
    The MD has an obvious one that I forgot on first post and almost slipped in later and am forgetting again now, but it's not so obvious as the NES team game I didn't include: SMB 2. It may be a little borderline beside my original definition but still it's SMB2.

Lost Vikings was one of the few, or at least I remember quite enjoying the SNES version -- haven't played the Genesis one yet. But again, maybe this runs afoul of the "pooled lifestock" issue, though maybe as points on a continuum is the best way to treat it?
    SNES games are impossible for me to mentally catalogue, there are just so damned many and their quality blurs once past the top famous and unearthed titles.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist
    Random observation: had the MCD been better realised rhythm games would've come along a few years earlier. Or were they done on the Amiga as well?
    Good question. I can't think of any Amiga examples. I think early systems were capable of modern-style rhythm games (see Guitar Hero clone homebrews on C64 and NES) but they didn't really take off until the 32-bit era with Japanese games like Parappa and Beatmania. Even if the Mega CD wasn't popular, the PC Engine CD was fairly well received in Japan and could have made a good home for them.

I find it strange how there aren't really examples of super similar games earlier (that I know of). A few years ago I was researching the genre's origins and made a thread to discuss but I only found bits and pieces that resemble the genre early on. It's one of my weakest areas of gaming knowledge, though.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/tnl/thr...hm-Music-Genre

If you're keen on Guitar Heroes there's the Guitar Freaks series of Japan on PSX. There's barely a controller for it though, some weird little vestigial plectrum type thing. Also the Maestro software. Probably something in Lightspan too.
    This reminds me when you inquired about rhythm games on the GBA in my consolised GBA thread I knew of one, Mermaid Melody, and only held off mentioning it because I intended to try it shortly but haven't got round to it. So there you are, a well regarded JP GBA rhythm game I can tell you nothing about. Score!

There are some pertinent FDS games to this thread but damn is it hard to find functional ROMs: play 3 lvs and get an Error 7 (disk A read problem). If even that. Anyhow,
    Fire Rock includes portals, some terrain effect (esp slipping), and the core play is climbing which is done by jumping up against a surface to cling then tapping jump to mount it.
    Monty no Doki Doki Daidassou (...Monty on the Run) -- no this is not related to the C64 etc Monty Mole 'Monty on the Run' game unless it's a drastically rebuilt and reskinned version. This Monty is a convict on the lam in stripes and beard. Fairly ambitious lv design in what seems to me a home computer fashion with multiple stories connected by ladders, chambered areas, etc. There are numerous options preplay in main and alternative weapon.
    Armana no Kiseki --- I mentioned this earlier iirc for its grappling hook like mechanic but it's worth another. Intensive game.
    Matou no Houkai --- looks like a CV knockoff. Couldn't find a working ROM.
    Wardner no Mori ---- unsure many people are aware this was on a Nintendo machine. The MD game is '~~~ Special'
    (Relics) Ankoku no Yousai --- from what I've seen this is a promising exploratory game.

Most of my interest on the FDS is its more involved, intensive games. They can be a bitch to figure out lacking manuals and the ROM problems only make it more problematic but they seem worth the effort. Incidentally this is also the only sort of game that interests me on the SMS, with the same impediments barring the bad ROMs (oh yeah, and the loading). It's not like popping open a new MD game, this is all stuff that requires an effortful session, so it's mostly gone on my backburner.
    Last edited by StarMist; 01-09-2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: gibberish

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist
    unless it's a drastically rebuilt and reskinned version.
    That's exactly what it is. It was licensed from Gremlin but they changed it so much I have to wonder why they bothered. Maybe they really liked the name Monty.

And I remember having a Matou no Hokai disk image that worked but maybe I didn't play far enough to get an error. I forget where I got it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    That's exactly what it is. It was licensed from Gremlin but they changed it so much I have to wonder why they bothered. Maybe they really liked the name Monty.
    The image of playing as a seamy criminal is a bit different if nothing else; particularly different from Monty Mole.
    And I remember having a Matou no Hokai disk image that worked but maybe I didn't play far enough to get an error. I forget where I got it, though.
    Any impressions? CV quality or 8 Eyes quality?

I just remember everything being really dull: the combat, the levels, the artwork. Below 8 Eyes quality.

All right, I managed to get a ROM from a site that almost never lets me download from it...and I can't contradict you. Matou no Houkai is set up like a Mario castle maze, only ascending, so it's totally trial and error with respawning jellies that come out underfoot and what seems like the need to backtrack (somebody wanted me to bring him a peacock bone) which would make it plain awful. The music was poor and the combat, as you said, dull, though further play would've made it irritating.

Thread Information