Quantcast

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: N64 Appreciation Thread.

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    I know about that but even the N64 fans usually like to forget the existence of the 64DD.
    Sim City 64 requires the 64DD which almost no one has, I wouldn't consider it part of the N64 library since nobody has access to it.
    It's a part of the 64DD's library, so it's as much a part of the N64's library as Famicom Disk System games are the NES's, or 32X games the Geneises.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I don't consider the 64DD to be the same as the regular N64 anyways, it's an add-on with it's own game format. We don't typically lump the Sega CD and 32X games in with the Genesis ones around here either. Still, it was worth mentioning. Theoretically, the N64 mouse could have been used by cartridge games, had the 64DD been released before the N64 itself was nearing retail death.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    It's a part of the 64DD's library, so it's as much a part of the N64's library as Famicom Disk System games are the NES's, or 32X games the Geneises.
    People in this forum usually consider Sega CD games part of the Sega CD library and not part of the Genesis library.

But, anyway, it won't change anything in this discussion IMO.

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    People in this forum usually consider Sega CD games part of the Sega CD library and not part of the Genesis library.

But, anyway, it won't change anything in this discussion IMO.
    I agree that it's a different format, but it is an addon, so it's a different format that's a subset of the main system, so in a way it's part of the system's library...

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

As for fighting games, though, there I'm not so sure. I mean, the Saturn has good versions of some mid '90s 2d fighting games... but most of those games are either downgraded arcade ports that you can now play better versions of on other platforms (everything from SNK, for instance, or SF2), or were superseded by their sequels (the Marvel games would go here). I mean, so the Saturn has KOF '94-97... so? The Dreamcast has '98 to '02, and those are all better games. A few fighting games do stand out as being maybe still relevant, like Vampire Savior or Street Fighter Zero 3, but only a few. And even there, both have Dreamcast versions that are pretty similar in a lot of ways. I know there are a few others that are only on Saturn and are good, but still, the big highlight titles are available elsewhere in better, just-as-good, or just-about-as-good renditions. Apart from being able to use the awesome Saturn controller in the games, the 2d fighter genre selection on Saturn has aged a bit I think. (The Playstation's even worse off overall, even though it was supported for longer, because of the worse quality of the ports.)
    Oh come on. Nobody ever brings up King of Fighters as a win for the Saturn. You're practically straw-manning with that one. That's like saying "I'm not so sure about N64's 3D platformers, I mean Rayman 2 is better on Dreamcast, I rest my case." Give me a break.

The Saturn's main draw with 2D fighters is the Capcom ones, which have aged very well IMO, and aren't on Dreamcast, except for Street Fighter Zero 3, which is better on Saturn anyway (albeit not by a huge margin, but still). Beyond Capcom, there are some other ones like Dark Legend and World Heroes Perfect that are well worth playing, but Capcom is tops.

Pinball sure, the SS wins; the N64 has no pinball games I know of. I'll also agree that the Saturn has better beat 'em ups; the only one on N64, really, is Fighting Force 64, and that game's not good. SS doesn't have a lot in the genre, but it's got more than that. The Saturn also wins 2d platformers hands down; with only Yoshi's Story for a purely 2d platformer on the N64 (Mischief Makers is mostly 2d, but has some polygonal elements...), obviously it can't compete there.
    You do realize that you've practically conceded right there?

But for 2.5d platformers (you mixing the two, but if separated, the N64 would be solid and maybe ahead quality-wise in the 2.5d category), flight, puzzle, strategy, survival/suspense, and general action (though some of those games you mention there are platformers, others action, others vehicular combat... all different fields), it's a matter of opinion based on what you think of the titles in that genre.
    I will give you puzzle, the N64 isn't bereft of puzzle games, though it's not particularly great for them. But strategy, especially, the N64 has practically nothing, apart from Star Craft 64 which isn't recommended, Worms Armageddon which is better on Dreamcast, and Command & Conquer which is better on PSX or Saturn. Whereas the Saturn had it covered with Iron Storm, Heir of Zendor (underrated IMO), Worms, P.T.O. II, Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV, Warcraft 2, The Horde, Battlestations, Baldy Land, and so on.

Oh, for dating sims/text adventures, there is one text adventure on the N64 in Japan, actually. Also there are a couple of graphical adventure games released in the US or worldwide (Scooby-Doo, Shadowgate 64). And Getter Love is a dating sim/multiplayer minigame collection cross... but of course the Saturn has far more, it's a CD console. Not that that helps Western gamers any. For people who don't speak Japanese, as far as adventure games go it's Scooby-Doo and Shadowgate versus, like, Blazing Dragons and such... not sure which wins there.
    Wasn't that Scooby-Doo game widely panned? This is the first time I've even seen it brought up in conversation. And Shadowgate 64, I kind of want to try that game sometime, but I heard it sucks. Saturn actually has a decent handful: Blazing Dragons, Lunacy, Discworld 1 & 2, Dark Seed, Atlantis: The Lost Tales, Mansion of Hidden Souls, D (arguable, but I'd count it here), etc.

Oh, finally, 3d fighting games. Sure, the Saturn has the bigger-budget stuff, but the top level of N64 3d fighting games can hold its own against the PS1 or Saturn's stuff if you can get past the lower budgets and look at the actual content... I probably wouldn't say that the N64 wins in this genre, but it's much closer than people generally say. Of course though, I think that this genre is one of the genres that most improved in the generation after this one, so most 3d fighting games on all three systems are not that great really... it's the rare one that I actually still find good (DoA1, Mace, Evil Zone, maybe Fighting Vipers, and such).
    Mace? Good lord, you're silly. The only remotely decent 3D fighters on N64 are the two Fighter['s] Destiny games. And they're not very good. Compared to Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix, Last Bronx, Virtual On, Robo Pit, Steeldom... yeah, it's not even close.

The two are usually put in one genre, sure, but they are two very different halves of the genre. There's a reason that 2d and fully 3d (ie, not the DS games) Zelda games are usually listed separately, for instance -- because they're very different types of games. It's the same with other action-adventure titles. And the Saturn has very, very few 3d action-adventure games, or third-person, behind-the-character 3d games in general, while the N64 and PS1 both have lots of them.
    The N64 has lots of 3D action-adventure games? Like what, other than Zelda? Mission Impossible or something?

At best, that distinction turns out to be a wash, because Saturn has a few 2D ones, like Herc's Adventures and Crusader: No Remorse, while N64 has zero of those.

Sure, the Saturn can compete solidly against the N64 FPSes of 1997, but it doesn't have anything on the level of Turoks 2 or 3 or Perfect Dark.
    But it still has some FPSes that are worth playing. The genre isn't M.I.A. on the Saturn the way other genres are on N64.

There's also light gun games, as Barone mentioned. I might also mention music games; the Saturn is weak here but it has a couple of good ones, while N64 has only that rubbish DDR Disney game. Mech games, too, the Saturn isn't full of them but it has a few great ones, I don't know of any at all for N64. And dare I bring up sports games, at least basketball, specifically, there are some quite good ones on Saturn, while N64 is crap, with its iterations of NBA Jam being downright insults. Some would argue baseball as well, but I don't care for baseball games. Maybe multievent games too, Decathlete and Winter Heat are great, that one N64 winter Olympics game was utter shite IIRC. Hell, I know I'm digging deep, but even horse racing, Winning Post is very good on Saturn, N64 has nothing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    The N64 did have a mouse, but it was only released in Japan, intended for use with the 64DD. I don't know if any of the 9 games can be considered actual point and click adventure games, but the Mario Artist series and Sim City 64 involve clicking with the mouse.
    Pretty lame that the mouse wasn't made separately from the 64DD. I don't think any non-64DD N64 games support the mouse, even in Japan.

I agree that it's a different format, but it is an addon, so it's a different format that's a subset of the main system, so in a way it's part of the system's library...
    I'm inclined to include it (as I include CD & 32x with Genesis, and Turbo CD with Turbografx), but it's hardly anything worthy of discussion anyway.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Saturn's main draw with 2D fighters is the Capcom ones, which have aged very well IMO, and aren't on Dreamcast, except for Street Fighter Zero 3, which is better on Saturn anyway (albeit not by a huge margin, but still). Beyond Capcom, there are some other ones like Dark Legend and World Heroes Perfect that are well worth playing, but Capcom is tops.
    +1 for mentioning World Heroes Perfect. It's the only game worth playing in the series and the Saturn version is the best one.
    Suiko Enbu: Fuuun Saiki is an exclusive and better than Dark Legend (Suiko Enbu: Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty) (which is also on the PS1) IMO.
    KOF '95 is fantastic on the Saturn, the other KOFs are just mediocre ports.

ABF also said shit when he stated "Dreamcast has '98 to '02, and those are all better games" about the KOF series. Anyone barely experienced with the series knows that '99, '00 and '01 games worth crap and are more like an insult to the previous ones in several aspects. And '02 has unbalanced/iffy controls.

Bringing up Mace: The Dark Age in a discussion with Virtua Fighter 2 is like going to a nuclear war with a knife, just saying...

And, of course, ABF will probably argue that it's all a matter of opinions but we all know it's bs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    you mean the Atari 5200?

edit:
    Doh!
    Haha I had a feeling I was wrong. Well I still think it's a great idea. As for the world heroes series I have 1, 2 (someone gave it to me for free), and perfect for the mvs. 1 and perfect I love to bits, 2 not so much.

The N64 is my favorite console because FPSes and 3D adventures were my favorite genres. I also loved 3D platformers. For these genres the N64 is the best. Yes, it does not have many adventures beyond the Zelda games (and a very good Shadowman port) but these 2 were the pinnacle so for me it was enough.

I also like futuristic racers more than serious racers and i believe the N64 was the best console for this genre too. It had a very good port of Wipeout, it had Extreme-G (the first one was good), Star Wars Ep1 racer and, of course, the exclusive F-Zero X which is the superior game imo, if you exclude the graphics.

Fighting games were crap on N64 but i liked Mace more than Virtua Fighter or Tekken. Im not saying it was a better game, i only say i enjoyed it more because it was more violent, sillier and graphically more impressive. Yes, the PSX and Saturn had to sacrifice 3D backgrounds on their 3D fighters but Mace had fully 3D arenas, with rich polygonal backgrounds and even some interactive parts (traps, stairs etc). But it wasn't as smooth as VF2 60fps, ill give it that. VF2 on Saturn was amazing.

The N64 was also a good console for lesser genres. For instance, Snowboarding games were quite popular then. The PSX had lots of different titles along with the SSX series but none was as good as 1080, the only serious snowboarding game on N64. The PSX also had various Jetski games but none was as good as Waverace. I also think that Starfox 64 was the best on-rails shooter. So yes, the N64 only had 1 or 2 titles for some genres but these few games were the best representatives.

The N64 was definitely the worst console to pick up if you liked RPGs though... Another bad thing about the console was its pathetic third party support from Japanese developers. But, at least, it had good support from western developers.

Anyway, for me it goes like this:

N64 - Best for FPS, 3D Platformers, 3D adventures, futuristic racers, local multiplayer games
    PSX - Serious racing games, 3D fighters, RPGs, horror games (RE and Silent Hill series)
    Saturn - I don't have much experience with this console but i'm sure it has the best 2D fighting games. 3D fighters too (if you prefer VF and Fighters Megamix). Its also pretty close to N64 in the FPS genre but it lacks the one exclusive hit, it has mostly well made ports (excluding the crappy Doom port). I suppose its also the best console for arcade conversions even though the earlier ones were crap.
    Last edited by Soulis; 01-10-2013 at 02:44 PM.

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

As for fighting games, though, there I'm not so sure. I mean, the Saturn has good versions of some mid '90s 2d fighting games... but most of those games are either downgraded arcade ports that you can now play better versions of on other platforms (everything from SNK, for instance, or SF2)
    SNK 6th gen compilations are notoriously suspect. SFA2 is near perfect, and according to one's audio preferences superior to the arcade; for those who like the arcade sound (Q) there's SFA2 Gold, also on Saturn. SFA3 on Saturn is better coloured and animated than the PS version (which is very impressive) and both slaughter the shitty DC port.

or were superseded by their sequels (the Marvel games would go here).
    This is the dumbest possible line of thought for a retro forum. So you've stopped playing Star Fox 64 since Star Fox Assault came out? And what would that do to Ocarina of Time? Every 3D Zelda's the same as the last anyway, Link's still riding Epona in Twilight Princess---perhaps in Skyward Sword, I've yet to touch it.
    Oh, finally, 3d fighting games. Sure, the Saturn has the bigger-budget stuff, but the top level of N64 3d fighting games can hold its own against the PS1 or Saturn's stuff if you can get past the lower budgets and look at the actual content...

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulis
    But, at least, it had great support from American developers.
    Outside of a few racers, I don't think there were many good US-made games on N64. I look at that era and see almost every excellent American game is on PC, not N64.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

What's wrong with the Dreamcast port of Street Fighter Alpha 3? I don't own the Saturn version, but I haven't noticed anything wrong with the Dreamcast game, or read anything wrong with it for that matter.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Outside of a few racers, I don't think there were many good US-made games on N64. I look at that era and see almost every excellent American game is on PC, not N64.
    Well, there was the Turok series and Shadowman from Acclaim/Iguana, Silicon Valey and Body Harvest from DMA, two impressive Star Wars games and the Indiana Jones game from Factor 5... These are the ones that come to my head right now. I should also mention RARE, i know they are from England and they were mostly owned by Nintendo but they made the best N64 games along with Nintendo themselves...

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

@ sheath = I always found it to control like crap. Both the SS and PS feel much smoother. Might just be me and my DC disinclination; I've read support of this but don't remember whether it was from anyone reputable.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulis
    Well, there was the Turok series and Shadowman from Acclaim/Iguana, Silicon Valey and Body Harvest from DMA, two impressive Star Wars games and the Indiana Jones game from Factor 5... These are the ones that come to my head right now. I should also mention RARE, i know they are from England and they were mostly owned by Nintendo but they made the best N64 games along with Nintendo themselves...
    I suppose Factor 5 would count since they relocated to the US. DMA isn't American, though. And Shadowman was also made in the UK (and better on DC anyway). If you had said "Western", then yeah it would cover a lot more ground with the European stuff (and throw in Tetrisphere from Canada).

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    What's wrong with the Dreamcast port of Street Fighter Alpha 3? I don't own the Saturn version, but I haven't noticed anything wrong with the Dreamcast game, or read anything wrong with it for that matter.
    Basically the V-ISM timings are royally screwed up, the sprites are smaller than the Saturn port (or the resolution is screwy, I've yet to figure that out), and I've heard people say that apparently Capcom upscaled it to 480p but didn't upscale the hitboxes or something weird like that.

Thread Information