Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is 32X audio always stereo (Even hooked to Model 1 GEN)?

Co-Creator of the MegaAmp Raging in the Streets villahed94's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Wait I guess I always had the wrong impression. I always use the Genesis headphone jack to my stereo. But I thought only the Genesis & Sega CD output stereo sound??? I thought the 32x itself produced only mono sound?

So the 32x DOES produce stereo sound then?
    Yes, the 32X has a stereo PWM/FM chip (Not to be confused with the YM2612)

The 32X sends its audio to the Genesis via a couple Audio Input pins at the cart slot. The sound is then mixed with the rest of the Genesis sound and finally outputted at the CXA1034/AN7108/etc. on Model 1s.

Mega Amp: The reference audio circuit for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I think those pins only cover half the requirements for getting sound from the 32X AV out port. I was building a 32X cable and in the time I was trying to get audio hooked up, there was no sound. I think the video patch cable is required to get the audio from the Genesis to the 32X. I think the audio pins in the cart slot are for mixing the 32X back to the Genesis...

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

32X always does stereo, games not necessairly.
    Only way to get stereo from MD1 is the headphone out
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Wait I guess I always had the wrong impression. I always use the Genesis headphone jack to my stereo. But I thought only the Genesis & Sega CD output stereo sound??? I thought the 32x itself produced only mono sound?

So the 32x DOES produce stereo sound then?
    *shrug* Wiring audio through the av at the back does nothing. If you look at the 32x pcb the audio traces between the av input and output are straight connected, all the audio mixing is done inside of the genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    I think those pins only cover half the requirements for getting sound from the 32X AV out port. I was building a 32X cable and in the time I was trying to get audio hooked up, there was no sound. I think the video patch cable is required to get the audio from the Genesis to the 32X. I think the audio pins in the cart slot are for mixing the 32X back to the Genesis...
    Wrong, as I said above just follow the traces on the 32x pcb from the av input to the av output, audio connects straight from the input to the output, nothing gets mixed in there. I'm sure you've seen my little el-crappo cable connecting my 32x to my genesis, it's just four wires, rgb and sync. I get audio just from the genesis headphone jack and here's a direct recording from it:

If there's audio missing here I sure was fooled!

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    Wrong, as I said above just follow the traces on the 32x pcb from the av input to the av output, audio connects straight from the input to the output, nothing gets mixed in there. I'm sure you've seen my little el-crappo cable connecting my 32x to my genesis, it's just four wires, rgb and sync. I get audio just from the genesis headphone jack and here's a direct recording from it:

If there's audio missing here I sure was fooled!
    Are you using a Model 2 Genesis? Because on my Model 1 Genesis (VA3), the only way I get sound from the 32X AV out is by connecting the mono audio from the Genesis AV out to the 32X AV in.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    *shrug* Wiring audio through the av at the back does nothing. If you look at the 32x pcb the audio traces between the av input and output are straight connected, all the audio mixing is done inside of the genesis.
    Best answer
    Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

I'm pretty sure we answered that already though.

There's no magic on the 32X.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

Maybe this will help: = is stereo lines, - is mono

Code:
    32X PWM ====> Cart Port ====> audio mixer in MD ====> headphone jack
                                           |
                                           |
                                           V
     <---- 32X AV connector <------- MD AV connector
    Note that there is no connection between the PWM circuit and the AV connector. The PWM goes straight to the MD through the cart port. The mixer feeds stereo to the headphones, and mono to the AV port. The 32X AV port outputs whatever audio comes to it straight from the MD AV port, be it mono or stereo.

Are you using a Model 2 Genesis? Because on my Model 1 Genesis (VA3), the only way I get sound from the 32X AV out is by connecting the mono audio from the Genesis AV out to the 32X AV in.
    For some reason, the Gametrog cables don't pass the audio through like they should, I don't know why they made them like that. The OEM cables do it properly.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar
    HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    For some reason, the Gametrog cables don't pass the audio through like they should, I don't know why they made them like that. The OEM cables do it properly.
    are you serious? dammit! i have one of those cables that i intended to use once i got a working 32X.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Well I have a new appreciation for the 32x, bc this thread makes me realize that it does produce stereo sound, after all. (If the audio mixing is done in the Genesis, fine, lol. I'm not the techiest guy, & I wasn't trying to split hairs about the audio mixing. lol)

But before this thread I thought all 32x games produced mono only. So it's a big deal to realize it produces stereo. I always use the Genesis headphone jack to my stereo, so I've been getting stereo sound all along, without knowing it.

Also I'm kinda surprised how complicated this thread is, just about stereo sound. lol In the OP I never saw the cord plugged into the headphone jack, & then around back. (What's the deal with that strange cord? Where's it from; Is it rare?) My headphone cord is just a nice Radioshack cord that runs the output to my stereo. Also my 32x AV-out definitely is mono bc only 1 wire for sound, & 1 for the picture... So my TV only gets mono from my Genesis, 32x, & Sega CD, but the headphone jack to my stereo makes up for it.

Also I'm kinda surprised how complicated this thread is, just about stereo sound. lol In the OP I never saw the cord plugged into the headphone jack, & then around back. (What's the deal with that strange cord? Where's it from; Is it rare?) My headphone cord is just a nice Radioshack cord that runs the output to my stereo. Also my 32x AV-out definitely is mono bc only 1 wire for sound, & 1 for the picture... So my TV only gets mono from my Genesis, 32x, & Sega CD, but the headphone jack to my stereo makes up for it.
    The Gametrog Model 1 cable w/headphone cable is for getting stereo sound on the 32X AV out port. Otherwise, you can only get mono sound from the 32X AV out port, if mono sound is connected through the Model 1 to 32X cable.

If using the Model 1 headphone jack, or using a Model 2 Genesis, you will have stereo sound by default.

Correct, there's the cable that "mixes" audio and video between the 32X and Genesis. Gametrog sells those in one piece, whereas OEM was two for the Model 1. However, to get stereo sound you STILL have to output from the Model 1 headphone jack. You can go out of the 32X AV but it will be mono.

What this ebay seller I referenced has is a stereo feed from the headphone jack into the 32X along with the video/audio that comes from the Genesis. In essence it acts like the connector between Model 2 Genesis and the 32X. If you had those two units you had stereo sound.

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    32X always does stereo, games not necessairly.
    Only way to get stereo from MD1 is the headphone out
    This is really the only thing that needs to be said in this thread. It's that simple.

Yes I'm using a model 1, va6. I have no audio cable(s) connecting my genesis to my 32x. The only external cable I have between my genesis and my 32x is rgb + sync (four wires nothing more). I get audio from the genesis headphone jack, and it's all there. Seriously, crack open a 32x, take out the pcb, follow the av port audio traces, they go directly from the av input to the av output and nothing else connects to them.

Thread Information